Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 2 0.97%
Delaware 17 8.25%
Florida 166 80.58%
Georgia 12 5.83%
Maine 19 9.22%
Maryland 4 1.94%
Massachusetts 44 21.36%
New Hampshire 1 0.49%
New Jersey 62 30.10%
New York 16 7.77%
North Carolina 84 40.78%
Rhode Island 10 4.85%
South Carolina 95 46.12%
Virginia 29 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 05:30 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Huh. Vacationland got snubbed.

The water is wickid pissah cold. LOL

I have friends with a house on Goose Rocks Beach. It's a nice beach but it's a really short season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 10:06 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
beautiful beaches - for photos
great beaches - for swimming: FL NC SC
quiet beach towns: FL ME MA
party beach towns FL NJ SC
Victorian/old school/historic beach towns (aka like Cape May or Saint Augustine) MA FL NJ
family attractions (ferris wheels, funnel cake, boardwalks, arcades)
upscale beach towns MA FL NY
recreational seashores and national parks FL NC ME
snorkeling FL ?
diving FL
good seafood FL MA ME
upscale dining FL MA NY
diners/cheap eats FL NJ SC
I positively nailed this hitting things like NJ for Cape May or Florida being the diving and snorkeling hot spot.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
FL, NC, and MA got my vote.

SC, NJ, and ME would be next in line.

To me, Maryland’s coast is probably the most disappointing.

I’d say Georgia’s coast is the most surprising.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:47 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
The states I have been to on this list are Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland (barely, when it comes to the beach), South Carolina and Florida. I've been to Virginia and North Carolina, too, but never saw the beaches in either; I've also been to Tybee Island, Ga., and have driven past most of New Hampshire's 14-mile coastline, the smallest oceanfront of any coastal state. (Is that why NH wasn't included on this list?)

Overall, I'd share Borntoolate85's ranking of Florida, New Jersey and Massachusetts as 1, 2 and 3 overall, but would downgrade Massachusetts beaches for their coarse sand and general rockiness; Delaware's rate better in this regard.

And Delaware IMO also merits honorable mention for managing to cram pieces of New York, New Jersey and North Carolina into its relatively short oceanfront. Its principal beach resort town, Rehoboth Beach, manages to get a boardwalk, amusement rides, party bars, fabulous homes for wealthy beachgoers, not all of them named DuPont, and arguably the best LGBT beach scene on the East Coast after Fire Island* (yes, I think I'd rank Rehoboth above Provincetown) into its roughly one square mile. If you want Carolina-style tranquility, just drive a little further down State Route 1, past the non-stop frat party that is Dewey Beach (Rehoboth's next-door neighbor), and hang a left at State Route 54 to get to Fenwick Island. Lewes, the third of the three beach towns at the northern tip of Cape Henlopen (it's actually on the bay rather than the ocean), has the same sort of historic charm one finds in Cape May on the other side of the mouth of the Delaware Bay, and a ferry connects the two, giving you a chance to sample both in one visit and get a nice boat ride in as part of the deal.

I'd probably rank Delaware fourth in my list for these reasons.

*And yet Rehoboth is every bit as family-friendly as it is LGBT-friendly. The town's name means "room for all" in Hebrew, and the city takes that phrase seriously.

Oh, and: driving past Fenwick Island on DE 1, you know you've entered Maryland when you see high-rise condo after high-rise condo on your left. Ocean City's (over)development marches right up to the Delaware line and abruptly stops.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:14 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
FL, NC, and MA got my vote.

SC, NJ, and ME would be next in line.

To me, Maryland’s coast is probably the most disappointing.

I’d say Georgia’s coast is the most surprising.
Your assessment is 110% spot on. I agree with this 100%

Old 06-27-2021, 11:35 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Florida
New Jersey
New York

Those are my votes....

Florida because... well it is the most beachy state in the nation by far...

New Jersey... is I would say the most quaint and also "active" beach state with its iconic boardwalk and beach towns along most of the coast. New Jersey also has some upscale beach towns... look up Avalon and Stone Harbor.. $5 Million is the starting price there.... New Jersey is also accessible to the largest population after Florida to the coast. Between NJ, PA and NY you have about 15 million people within about 90 minutes to the beach...

New York... The Hamptons... Im sorry but they beat out Mass.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:03 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
There are beaches in the Hamptons? I always imagined the place as just lines of mansions right up against the water.

Looking at pictures now, and I guess my mental image of the setting of the Great Gatsby was just wrong. You learn something new every day!

Thinking about it further, I just read "rich directional place on Long Island" and translated to "the Hamptons". Are East Egg and West Egg based on some other LI locale?

Old 06-27-2021, 12:15 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
States

1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. North Carolina
4. New Jersey
5. Long Island, New York

To visit ?

Bar Harbor, Maine, Newport, Rhode Island, Montauk, New York, Cape May, New Jersey

Chincoteague, Virginia, Nags Head, North Carolina, Siesta Key, Florida, ClearWater, Fl

Old 06-27-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
States

1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. North Carolina
4. New Jersey
5. Long Island, New York

To visit ?

Bar Harbor, Maine, Newport, Rhode Island, Montauk, New York, Cape May, New Jersey

Chincoteague, Virginia, Nags Head, North Carolina, Siesta Key, Florida, ClearWater, Fl
Li and nj over ma?

Old 06-27-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Florida
New Jersey
New York

Those are my votes....

Florida because... well it is the most beachy state in the nation by far...

New Jersey... is I would say the most quaint and also "active" beach state with its iconic boardwalk and beach towns along most of the coast. New Jersey also has some upscale beach towns... look up Avalon and Stone Harbor.. $5 Million is the starting price there.... New Jersey is also accessible to the largest population after Florida to the coast. Between NJ, PA and NY you have about 15 million people within about 90 minutes to the beach...

Oh god no. My friend from the Hamptons just laughed at that one. The entirity of the Cape, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket and both North and South Shores joined the chat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City