U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 0 0%
Delaware 13 9.29%
Florida 112 80.00%
Georgia 10 7.14%
Maine 14 10.00%
Maryland 4 2.86%
Massachusetts 30 21.43%
New Hampshire 0 0%
New Jersey 39 27.86%
New York 13 9.29%
North Carolina 58 41.43%
Rhode Island 7 5.00%
South Carolina 64 45.71%
Virginia 24 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 07:45 PM

315 posts, read 125,345 times

Advertisements

I would love to vote for my homestate of Mass on this poll, but I just can't. Why? Simple. The water is just too damn cold.

Yes, I love nothing more than strolling the beautiful craggy coastline of Rockport, Provincetown or Gloucester, but the minute I put my foot in the water it goes numb. I haven't been to the Cape in years and I know that the water is a bit warmer on the south side, but still not enough.

I want warm water to swim in if I'm on holiday, so Florida would be my number one choice. I've never been to GA beaches, but I'll put them in second cuz I assume the water there is pretty nice in the summer. I'd love to put NJ as third, just because I love NJ boardwalks, especially Point Pleasant, but you have to pay to get on the beach and that's just silly.

I guess my third would be SC? Do they have the third warmest beach water on this list?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 07:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 3,168,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Big time. As much as I love the Pinellas County beach towns, our beaches are SO much more laid back here. St. Simons Island is my favorite, I could definitely live there.
I would chose tybee because proximity to savannah.

I want a GA beach home.. like I know that has to mean something for this poll but people skip over GAs beaches and think theres not much there. But its a whole different vibe.. i cant explain it. Truly a gem

Old 06-27-2021, 08:11 PM

571 posts, read 255,910 times
This thread shows just how unique Florida really is.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
This thread shows just how unique Florida really is.
I'm happy to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...

Okay, I'd consider Miami or Key West...but that's about it

Old 06-27-2021, 08:54 PM

13,129 posts, read 10,060,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm happy to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...

Okay, I'd consider Miami or Key West...but that's about it
Why only those two places?

Old 06-27-2021, 09:41 PM

9,255 posts, read 4,703,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
There are beaches in hamptons. Most are private, but there some good ones. But it really doesnt match up with Mass beaches.
I think that the fact that most of the beaches in the Hamptons are private tends to keep New York out of the popular imagination as a beach state.

But when you consider the Fire Island National Seashore and the public beaches in its communities; Jones Beach, Robert Moses' great playground for (some of) the masses; and the fact that Brooklyn is also on Long Island and provides the boardwalks and amusements thanks to Coney Island, one of three public beaches I know of that you can just walk to from a subway station (bonus points to anyone who can name the other two; hint: one of them is also on Long Island and in NYC), then New York State probably belongs in the top five of East Coast beach states.

Quote:
Mass is more quaint and more sandy beach coastline. Its more resorty and upscale than VA or GA. VA is more for younger people and would be great for a Family. But the quantity isnt there.

Massachusetts beaches have a little bit for everyone. Provincetown is an LGBT/Portuguese haven at the end of the cape, Welfleet Beaches are cliffy and breathetaking, National Seashore is one a kind, Mayflower and Dennis Beaches are white sandy all the way up to Plymouth. MV and Nantucket are exlusive victorian islands. MV is very family oriented. Both are quaint but pricey. South Shore is like Long Island beaches, the Spit, drive up boat restaurants. Them North Shore MA is typical new england beaches.. rocky, scenic, fisherman wharfs etc. quaint and cute downtowns on the beach all the way up past Portland ME.

The one thing MA lacks is an equivalent of an Asbury Park or Wildwood. No piers or boardwalks.
It wouldn't be difficult to build one at Revere Beach if MassParks wanted to do so. Ditto the beach at Lynn. But I suspect MassParks wouldn't want to encourage that level of commercialization.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:54 PM

2,739 posts, read 1,274,854 times
Quote:
Now that could be a big positive to many.
I understand if you have an attachment to something there, but Georgia is basically a poor man’s SC. The Sea Islands function similarly in both states, but SC has better (and more) developed ones and has better access to the isolated ones that can only be reached by boat.

That’s before you add in the Grand Strand, which is almost a different type of beach experience. South Carolina might have the largest variety of beach experience on the East Coast, or tied with NC.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Why only those two places?
Admittedly, I've only been to the Miami area, not Key West.

I like being in or near dense, walkable cities. Florida doesn't have many, but I think I could very happy living in Miami Beach. The added bonus is that it's right on the beach.

Key West is small, but I'm a sucker for small, isolated places with decent walkability. Also has the most "tropical" weather in the state - none of those cold Jacksonville winters

Old 06-27-2021, 10:41 PM

8,657 posts, read 5,353,599 times
Quote:

I like being in or near dense, walkable cities. Florida doesn't have many, but I think I could very happy living in Miami Beach. The added bonus is that it's right on the beach.

Key West is small, but I'm a sucker for small, isolated places with decent walkability. Also has the most "tropical" weather in the state - none of those cold Jacksonville winters
Key West is very unique and cool, but the housing prices are ridiculous. Be sure to bring plenty of cash.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 10,666,844 times
Quote:

Living on Miami Beach near Ocean Drive can get crazy during major holidays I rather live in Coconut Grove, Brickell section of Miami. Fort Lauderdale and Tampa are second options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City