Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 2 0.97%
Delaware 17 8.25%
Florida 166 80.58%
Georgia 12 5.83%
Maine 19 9.22%
Maryland 4 1.94%
Massachusetts 44 21.36%
New Hampshire 1 0.49%
New Jersey 62 30.10%
New York 16 7.77%
North Carolina 84 40.78%
Rhode Island 10 4.85%
South Carolina 95 46.12%
Virginia 29 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times

Advertisements

The question is self-explanatory, but I'll add that I'm looking for what states are the most well-rounded in total when it comes to beach tourism.

Which is to say, they have a good mix of:
  • beautiful beaches - for photos
  • great beaches - for swimming
  • quiet beach towns
  • party beach towns
  • Victorian/old school/historic beach towns (aka like Cape May or Saint Augustine)
  • family attractions (ferris wheels, funnel cake, boardwalks, arcades)
  • upscale beach towns
  • recreational seashores and national parks
  • snorkeling
  • diving
  • good seafood
  • upscale dining
  • diners/cheap eats
Are there any states that check all/most of the boxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 08:38 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Top 3 for me:
Florida
Massachusetts
South Carolina

Old 06-20-2021, 09:11 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,953,570 times
I'll pick my top three for each, and assign them a point for 3rd, two points for 2nd, and three for 1st to provide my overall ranking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The question is self-explanatory, but I'll add that I'm looking for what states are the most well-rounded in total when it comes to beach tourism.

Which is to say, they have a good mix of:
  • beautiful beaches - for photos FL, NC, MA
  • great beaches - for swimming FL, SC, GA
  • quiet beach towns NC, ME, GA
  • party beach towns FL, NJ, SC
  • Victorian/old school/historic beach towns (aka like Cape May or Saint Augustine) NJ, MA, FL
  • family attractions (ferris wheels, funnel cake, boardwalks, arcades) NJ, FL, SC
  • upscale beach towns FL, MA, NY
  • recreational seashores and national parks NC, ME, FL
  • snorkeling FL, GA, SC
  • diving (isn't this the same thing as snorkeling?)
  • good seafood FL, MA, ME
  • upscale dining FL, MA, NY
  • diners/cheap eats NJ, FL, SC
Are there any states that check all/most of the boxes?
Overall: 1. FL (27 pts). Definitely the most well-rounded of the bunch, and the state is obviously built to live for beach culture. Unfortunately, FL is pretty much busy year-round and doesn't get the the seasonal lull like it used to, except in late summer/early fall during the peak of hurricane season.

2. NJ (11 pts.) If you love the classic, old-school walkable beach community with that "state fair" vibe, you can't beat the Jersey Shore. Then places like Avalon/Stone Harbor prove that their are some upscale pockets mixed in among the riff-raff. Note that since entertainment was missing, Atlantic City's huge presence gives it a nice runner-up spot overall for NJ.

3. MA (9 pts.) Massachusetts definitely scores highly in the historic department through all its quaint towns along the Cape, islands, and north shore, and great dining/seafood also make it a nice place to visit in season. It's a bit weak in the nightlife/party department though.

4. NC (8 pts.) If you like quietness and seclusion, North Carolina is definitely for you. Its a very relaxing, pleasant drive and nice to be if you're looking for that beach experience without too much commercial development. I've never been there since those beaches seem boring in terms of cultural activities, with the possible exception of New Hanover County, and its too bad a town like New Bern is across the sound. Brunswick County (between New Hanover and the SC line) easily could support larger, more vibrant beach communities.

5. SC (6 pts.) South Carolina is weird in terms of its development. The Grand Strand feels like a more downscale version FL combined with a slice of Ocean City, MD, which can seem cheesy, but there are some nice quieter pockets near Murrell's Inlet, the beaches near Charleston for history, and upscale yet secluded Hilton Head. I think of it as good, but not quite great.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:21 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Florida, SC, and NC

Old 06-20-2021, 12:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Florida by a mile. After FL it is trickier, I’d say MA is second thanks to the Cape, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:07 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
FL, NC, SC, GA. Big drop off after that. We lived on Cape Cod, MA for a year and a half. The towns were pretty, but didn't care for the beaches at all. Very hard to access, sand too gritty, very little wave action, the most expensive parking of any beach areas I've been to on the east coast, chilly ocean water, most beaches are short and narrow. Incredibly overrated, IMO.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:35 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
beautiful beaches - for photos
great beaches - for swimming: FL NC SC
quiet beach towns: FL ME MA
party beach towns FL NJ SC
Victorian/old school/historic beach towns (aka like Cape May or Saint Augustine) MA FL NJ
family attractions (ferris wheels, funnel cake, boardwalks, arcades)
upscale beach towns MA FL NY
recreational seashores and national parks FL NC ME
snorkeling FL ?
diving FL
good seafood FL MA ME
upscale dining FL MA NY
diners/cheap eats FL NJ SC

Old 06-25-2021, 03:22 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Florida, Massachusetts and South Carolina for me. I haven’t been to all of the states in the poll, unfortunately.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:23 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I'd guess that Florida would be tops. But NY is pretty good too. From the upscale Hamptons to crowded Coney Island, there is an Atlantic Ocean or Long Island Sound beach community to fit every taste and every pocketbook. (And that's not including the upstate lakes.) And there are even more choices if you include the Jersey Shore, where a lot of New Yorkers (as well as Philly people) choose to go during the hot weather. And no, most of the Jersey Shore is nothing like the old TV show Jersey Shore.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:29 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Huh. Vacationland got snubbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City