Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which non primary cities in OR or WA are a touristic and urbanist’s priority?
Astoria 11 47.83%
Bellingham 6 26.09%
Bend 6 26.09%
Eugene 4 17.39%
Leavenworth 7 30.43%
Olympia 2 8.70%
Oregon City 0 0%
Port Angeles 7 30.43%
Tacoma 7 30.43%
Salem 0 0%
Other 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 11:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times

Advertisements

Surprised that Ashland, OR wasn't included in the poll... whether or not it appeals as a place to live
(and housing costs would probably rule it out for most of us), it's certainly worth a visit.
So is quaint little Jacksonville (just west of Medford).

And remember the Oregon coast:
Newport, for its aquarium.
Seaside, a touristy East-Coast-style beach town
Cannon Beach, a quiet artsy little getaway (maybe what Laguna Beach was like 80 years ago?)

Last edited by NW4me; 06-27-2021 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 12:41 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I think Port Townsend should be on the list, maybe Anacortes too.
Yes, OP; you really missed a major one: Port Townsend, WA. They're very tourist-oriented, too, in the late spring through early fall, with all their festivals. Also scenic as all get-out, and a good starting point for people wanting to spend some time in the Olympic Mts.

Newport, OR, might be a good one, too. They also have summer festivals, I hear. Nice beach town, looks like there's a lot of sailing happening, too.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, OP; you really missed a major one: Port Townsend, WA. They're very tourist-oriented, too, in the late spring through early fall, with all their festivals. Also scenic as all get-out, and a good starting point for people wanting to spend some time in the Olympic Mts.

Newport, OR, might be a good one, too. They also have summer festivals, I hear. Nice beach town, looks like there's a lot of sailing happening, too.
These are the kind of insights that I really wasn't familiar with (outside of hearing about national parks and big cities, I know quite little about OR and WA), and so places like Aberdeen, Port Townsend, Newport, Ashland, etc. and also how some of the midsize cities compare against one another.. this is great stuff. Not that I'll be able to make it everywhere, or even close, on this trip, but the insight from this thread means I'll make it to a few places I wouldn't have ever heard about otherwise.

Newport is definitely on my list now, and sort of was to begin with. I spent 2/3rds of my adolescence, and the first 18 years of my life, living a tenth of a mile through my backyard to what US 20 is in Suburban Cleveland, Ohio. For much of that time, I'd say perhaps well over half of any activities carried out in my day to day life were along it, and I always thought it was pretty cool that it was like the longest street of any kind in the US that was continuous, and passed through so many interesting places. I know the Eastern Terminus is near Kenmore Square/Fenway Park in Boston so I prob crossed it when I was in town going to the game back in 2013, even though I didn't necessarily give it a ton of thought. Hitting the western terminus though would be a nice add-eventually, I think it would be super cool to drive it east to west, or vice versa.

Slightly off topic-how must see/worthwhile is Thor's Well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City