Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:31 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times

Advertisements

Yes, though the life science real estate tends to be vastly undercounted. Brokerages like CBRE mostly count commercial space, not institutional, and that's a huge element of life sciences. They also miss owner-occupied space in some markets, another big category. It's basically buildings on the leasing market, and with very different standards and levels of effort per city.

Those three cities might also lead in institutional space, particlarly SF and Bos but SD is good too. Seattle also ranks high on the institutional side with a lot of NIH and Gates dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 02:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Boston is still a pretty big player in tech and biotech, I think these brain drain numbers overstate the problem. Part of it is the schools are all there, there's just not enough jobs for all the grads.

SF and Seattle will also remain big players in tech, with more growth potential for Seattle. The number of my buddies thinking of moving from SF to Seattle to arbitrage on living and school costs is not small.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:52 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Boston is still a pretty big player in tech and biotech, I think these brain drain numbers overstate the problem. Part of it is the schools are all there, there's just not enough jobs for all the grads.

SF and Seattle will also remain big players in tech, with more growth potential for Seattle. The number of my buddies thinking of moving from SF to Seattle to arbitrage on living and school costs is not small.
For every 100 graduates, theres probably like 50-60 jobs so a lot look elsewhere. But the gap is starting to narrow a bit.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:06 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Austin is listed as having quite a bit of "brain drain" thanks to UT. Of course most of those UT engineering students originally came from Houston, Dallas, or a foreign country. In reality Austin probably does an extremely good job of retaining its university grads compared to other cities with huge numbers of eng grads like Ann Arbor, Madison, Champaign-Urbana, Pittsburgh, etc. (Or College Station for that matter!)

Old 07-17-2021, 11:01 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
For every 100 graduates, theres probably like 50-60 jobs so a lot look elsewhere. But the gap is starting to narrow a bit.
Part of it too is that some students come to the city already planning to move back home or to another city after graduating. Not everyone can be convinced to stay even if the available jobs equaled the number of new grads.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:41 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Every source is very different when it comes to this topic and for a good reason: What’s defined as a tech company or a tech job is a mere opinion.
Also, what is the population criteria, as it may not have considered some cities/areas that could have been(i.e.-Albany).

Old 07-17-2021, 10:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
If these numbers aren’t per capita, NYC is a struggle bus vs what I expected.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:35 AM

153 posts, read 110,577 times
What is the reason for the huge decrease in Chicago? I know it is losing popular (slightly) but what is the reason for such a huge brain drain? It has pretty low cost of living so I imagine the quality of life would be high there with a tech wage.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:00 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
What is the reason for the huge decrease in Chicago? I know it is losing popular (slightly) but what is the reason for such a huge brain drain? It has pretty low cost of living so I imagine the quality of life would be high there with a tech wage.
High violent crime in the city. Two University of Chicago students were recently shot and killed just minding their own business. High property taxes, sales taxes and income taxes do not help either.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:36 PM

21,633 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Boston wages arent competitive enough to make up for the housing costs. You can move to a city with a wider arrange of housing options in areas that are still relatively lively, and your kids can attend the public schools in the city.

In Boston if you want to be somewhere "cool" the schools are shaky at best and the housing is either uber expensive or the quality is lacking relative to what you could get in Seattle Atlanta or Austin.

Many people don't want to work so hard just to get paid 15-20% more in Boston when they can find housing for 1/2 the price in Austin or the Triangle and they can have suburban areas with good schools and good public amenities unlike Boston's sleepier suburbs. When you've got options leaving Boston seems to make sense.

For some Boston is a "starter city" in that you will exhaust your social circle fairly quickly because the city isn't built to be terribly social. And folks start moving and then the schools are unusable after grade 5. And people begin to peel off rapidly after age 33/34 but really beginning in their late 20s...Many leave for NYC because its larger and more exciting or DC because its similar but with larger apartments, more useful and or diverse suburbs. Or Austin and Atlanta due to their lower COL.

Boston has improved since 10+ years ago but still needs to build 150,000 housing units across the metro from 2020-2030 to be a "normal" housing market. And that wont happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City