Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 11:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
LOL what? Wealthsimple, Lightspeed, Inovia, Shopify, Ssense, Nuvei, CGI, Sonder (although they are in SF, their MTL office will be larger and they are Canadian), Mila, Dfuse, Nesto, Hopper, etc.. are all success stories. Not only are they raising hundreds of millions/worth billions but are also acquiring other companies world wide at a record pace and are far from being backwards. I agree wages are low in respect to COL (well except for Montreal since you CAN live well off with $80,000 salary) and that needs to be addressed. But to Call Canadian tech companies "backwards" is hilarious and far from true.

I recognize two names, Shopify and CGI, companies most people who follow publicly traded companies would know. Lightspeed 2020 revenue was $121 million. MSFT makes than in a half a day. I agree with the poster who doubts Canada's Tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 11:37 AM

https://www.ajc.com/news/tech-talent...DGSETPJVCGF2I/

Old 07-19-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Boston, SF, and San Diego are also increasing their lead over the others. San Diego and Boston in particular are completely nuts right now with funding and construction. VC funding tripled during COVID compared to the previous year. Boston has 5 million SF under construction (Seattle has 8 million SF TOTAL).
Where the hell is there room in Boston for that much new construction? Boston proper is 86 square miles compared to say Austin or Dallas, each over 300 square miles. Has to be in surrounding suburbs.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It’s true. I make almost twice as much in Seattle as Boston. Seattle housing is slightly more expensive than Boston, but newer stock and more sqft. There’s no state income tax in WA, which more than offsets the slightly higher housing costs. Property taxes are low in WA too. Public schools are decent in Seattle proper (no busing) and the Eastside suburban schools are comparable to MetroWest. And there’s no snow to shovel. I can drive to fresh pow in under an hour.

My theory is that the high numbers of trainees and students in Boston create a terrible labor market for skilled professionals. Employers are conditioned to exploiting that labor for all they can.
"Public schools are decent in Seattle proper (no busing)". Busing means what?

Old 07-19-2021, 12:03 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
"Public schools are decent in Seattle proper (no busing)". Busing means what?
Forced integration bussing is whats relegated Boston Public Schools to being very low income and minority heavy for decades. They were already bad but the middle class abandoned the schools completely after 1974.

In 1988 bussing was formally abolished. What did remain was lessened once again in 2013. With neighborhood preference for elementary schools being weighed quite heavily.

Since 2013 the % of white students in Boston has increased from 12.6 to 15% (around 2005 levels) but that's mostly due to more black students opting into Charter Schools (which are categorized as independent school districts) thus causing an enrollment decrease in BPS overall. Most charter schools in Boston are more African American and less Latino and white than Boston Public Schools.

Boston also essentially has totally redone its exams schools the past 2 years to put a priority on getting more low-income students of color into them which will likely continue to deplete the city of middle-class students. If for nothing other than it's much harder for students from middle-class backgrounds to gain entry into the elite exams schools now. People will no longer hold out hope for exam school placement.

While Boston Public Schools were on the up and up from ~1996-2014 (Thomas Payzant/Carol johnson years) they've declined on the NAEP every year since and it does not appear to be turning around at the moment. Many high schools only have a handful of students pass any APs at all whatsoever. Most have graduation rates in the 60% range.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:11 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Where the hell is there room in Boston for that much new construction? Boston proper is 86 square miles compared to say Austin or Dallas, each over 300 square miles. Has to be in surrounding suburbs.
There are a lot of vacant lots in Boston still. Mostly in black neighborhoods that are not nearly as built up as Central Boston/Northern Boston.

https://www.dotnews.com/2021/campbel...ts-development

https://www.boston.com/news/politics...n-mayors-race/

On Tuesday, the District 4 city councilor pitched her plan to transform vacant, city-owned lots into viable housing and multi-use developments. She said there are currently “thousands” of such properties, with concentrations in Roxbury, Mattapan, and Dorchester.

As a councilor, she launched a vacant lot initiative, working with the city, local universities, and residents to develop housing, retail, and green space plans for publicly-owned vacant lots in Dorchester and Mattapan.

The work spurred a planning process for vacant lots under the Blue Hill Avenue Action Plan. As a result, there are now 30 active requests for proposals for properties on the corridor.

There are also a handful of big chunks of land like Suffolks Downs, Widdet Circle, and Newmarket that are formerly light industrial areas that can hold housing. Even 1 or 2 in South Boston. most are currently slated for development.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:23 PM

257 posts, read 167,643 times
Quote:
I recognize two names, Shopify and CGI, companies most people who follow publicly traded companies would know. Lightspeed 2020 revenue was $121 million. MSFT makes than in a half a day. I agree with the poster who doubts Canada's Tech.
Lightspeed is also growing at 130% year over year, so where is the doubt?

Old 07-19-2021, 12:40 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
I don't know if you're kidding, but for a smallish company in growth mode, 130% annual growth is common. The trick to becoming a big company is to keep doing that when sales are in the billions, with at least a path to sustained profit.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
How do you not know of the others? Haha, not only are they growing rapidly, but they are established and have become unicorns or are on the brink. You just heard of two because you (like many others here) don't pay attention to Canadian tech companies and successes and easily write us off since we aren't American. Continue to doubt Canada all you want, but if you've been paying attention, you'd see how much growth has happened here in the past few years and it will continue at a breakneck speed.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:50 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
I do believe the numbers from those reports are by metro area. Though the lion’s share of the lab space is probably is very close to downtown Boston either in the Seaport or in Kendall Square. Also Boston proper is only ~47 square miles. The other 40 are ocean.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-19-2021 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City