Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 07:28 AM

82 posts, read 47,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
More and more I'm thinking that abortion may be what does it. There's a very good chance the Supreme Court may overturn Roe v. Wade in the near future.

It helps Republicans with the base to pass laws outlawing abortion entirely because they could feel reasonably certain they'd get struck down in court. So they please the primary voters but don't have to worry about it driving moderate Republican women into the arms of the Democrats. If it's suddenly real and women truly don't have control over their bodies in places like Texas?? Well, I'm certainly curious as to what happens. I think it could result in noticeable shifts in places like Georgia, Texas, Florida.

Social conservatism/Christian fundamentalism plays well with the Republican base, not with the voting population at large. There's been a very big rightward shift on social issues in Republican-led states in the past decade.

Classic case of being careful what you wish for...
Texas will likely not be Democrat for decades if ever. The Democrats best hopes for adding numbers are likely found in Georgia and North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 07:35 AM

82 posts, read 47,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
That's true when comparing states between each other, but within a single state, electoral votes are awarded on a one-person-one-vote, winner-take-all basis (except for Maine and Nebraska, which each award some electoral votes on a statewide basis and the remainder based on who wins the presidential vote in each congressional district). A voter from Loving County (pop. 169) is worth exactly the same as a voter from Houston (pop. 2.32 million).
The big problem in Texas for the Democrats is the fact that many of the population there are not citizens and not eligible to vote but still are counted by the Census for reapportionment. This gives Texas new seats in Congress and more EC votes but, since non citizens can't vote, all the advantage goes to Republicans. We don't have that issue in Georgia. Most of our growth comes from other states. Mainly South Carolina, Illinois, New York and Michigan.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
He's a extremely sorry excuse for a Governor in a State that spends billions to poach companies, and now has the most suppressive voting rules since Jim Crow. He's someone that deserves all the vilification he receives, and should be removed from office.

You're right except spending billions to poach. Like YOUR state spends no money to lure companies!? And if it is billions in Texas, that's over a lot of years.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You have me confused with someone else, it isn't possible for me to be jealous of anything related to Texas - I don't even like changing planes there. And we have our own boom going on to begin with. And just so you know, California mops the floor with Texas.
Actually, California doesn't mop the floor with Texas, considering the majority of companies in the Golden State who do relocate, overwhelmingly move to Texas. California is HQs to three more Fortune 500 company than Texas, 53 to 50. Just to name a few, Tesla, Oracle, CB Richard Ellis, Charles Schwab and HP moved to Texas in the last 24 months.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You're right except spending billions to poach. Like YOUR state spends no money to lure companies!? And if it is billions in Texas, that's over a lot of years.
Of course we do, but not to your extreme levels.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Actually, California doesn't mop the floor with Texas, considering the majority of companies in the Golden State who do relocate, overwhelmingly move to Texas. California is HQs to three more Fortune 500 company than Texas, 53 to 50. Just to name a few, Tesla, Oracle, CB Richard Ellis, Charles Schwab and HP moved to Texas in the last 24 months.
Yawn. Fortune 500's don't tell the real story, GDP does. Like I said, mops the floor.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:28 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
More and more I'm thinking that abortion may be what does it. There's a very good chance the Supreme Court may overturn Roe v. Wade in the near future.

It helps Republicans with the base to pass laws outlawing abortion entirely because they could feel reasonably certain they'd get struck down in court. So they please the primary voters but don't have to worry about it driving moderate Republican women into the arms of the Democrats. If it's suddenly real and women truly don't have control over their bodies in places like Texas?? Well, I'm certainly curious as to what happens. I think it could result in noticeable shifts in places like Georgia, Texas, Florida.

Social conservatism/Christian fundamentalism plays well with the Republican base, not with the voting population at large. There's been a very big rightward shift on social issues in Republican-led states in the past decade.

Classic case of being careful what you wish for...
Republicans and those wanting to end abortion should be mandated to adopt every unwanted child in the thousands of foster homes. After they are emptied , then it will be time to limit abortion.

They claim it's God's word to not kill a new life but then after it's born they don't lift a finger to help mitigate the suffering and unhappiness that unwanted children endure. that's tangible suffering awhile abortion might be somewhat.

Phoenix is so strange because it's dense without any tree canopy and shouldn't exist out where there's limited water.

BUT REGARDING POPUATION RANKINGS,....It's never worthwhile because the metrics are always different.

Richmond, Jacksonville, FL and metro atlanta are all huge areas with Atlanta includiing up to 35 counties.

Then places like the Bay Area and Miami are long and linear, so they seldom get counted as one.

LA metro is often separate from Riverside and San Bernardino, and it all runs together.

Even Raleigh and Durham which absolutely are one metro, are separate now.

Boston sometimes is said to have 4-5 million people, and other times the larger Boston area has 10 million people.

Charlotte and central North Carolina once was stated to be the 7th biggest urban region in America because 7 million people live within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte, and that doesn't even include Raleigh-Durham which is outside that radius.

But Atlanta's 7.1 million people per the Darlington sign is impressive because it's a very centered population mass, about the same radius around Downtown and about 75 to traverse from one side to the other in every direction.

That sign read 3 million people in the 90's and there was the same level of excitement as today.

Chicago is shedding people from corruption and high taxes that still don't make conditions better.. California and New York are also losing people to NC and Georgia in huge numbers due to high taxes.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:37 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Republicans and those wanting to end abortion should be mandated to adopt every unwanted child in the thousands of foster homes. After they are emptied , then it will be time to limit abortion.

They claim it's God's word to not kill a new life but then after it's born they don't lift a finger to help mitigate the suffering and unhappiness that unwanted children endure. that's tangible suffering awhile abortion might be somewhat.

Phoenix is so strange because it's dense without any tree canopy and shouldn't exist out where there's limited water.

BUT REGARDING POPUATION RANKINGS,....It's never worthwhile because the metrics are always different.

Richmond, Jacksonville, FL and metro atlanta are all huge areas with Atlanta includiing up to 35 counties.

Then places like the Bay Area and Miami are long and linear, so they seldom get counted as one.

LA metro is often separate from Riverside and San Bernardino, and it all runs together.

Even Raleigh and Durham which absolutely are one metro, are separate now.

Boston sometimes is said to have 4-5 million people, and other times the larger Boston area has 10 million people.

Charlotte and central North Carolina once was stated to be the 7th biggest urban region in America because 7 million people live within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte, and that doesn't even include Raleigh-Durham which is outside that radius.

But Atlanta's 7.1 million people per the Darlington sign is impressive because it's a very centered population mass, about the same radius around Downtown and about 75 to traverse from one side to the other in every direction.

That sign read 3 million people in the 90's and there was the same level of excitement as today.

Chicago is shedding people from corruption and high taxes that still don't make conditions better.. California and New York are also losing people to NC and Georgia in huge numbers due to high taxes.

Your comment on christians/those wanting to save lives through ending abortion is very offbase. I've been a part of churches in both the north and the south, and all of them put significantly more resources towards orphans than the general public, and it's not even close. Many christians such as myself, have adopted several times. Churches actively fund orphanages, foster care, respite foster care, adoption ministries, etc.

Politely, your viewpoint is mis-informed at best.

"Caring for orphans and widows" is specifically called out in the bible, and many churches take that calling very seriously

Old 08-03-2021, 06:51 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Your comment on christians/those wanting to save lives through ending abortion is very offbase. I've been a part of churches in both the north and the south, and all of them put significantly more resources towards orphans than the general public, and it's not even close. Many christians such as myself, have adopted several times. Churches actively fund orphanages, foster care, respite foster care, adoption ministries, etc.

"Caring for orphans and widows" is specifically called out in the bible, and many churches take that calling very seriously
That is wonderful to hear and I commend you and your congregation for bringing some joy and hope into those without someone to love and take care of them.

i just think that it's not realistic to not have abortion, because much of society aren't fit to be parents, and personally I believe that most of society's ills are the result of inadequate parenting.

And I said Repubblcans manly because they like to do a lot of judging of others but never step up & giv of themselves.

The Dems too, always advocating for helping the less fortunate so long as it's not in their backyard.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:13 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

Hmm. The poster does have a good point regarding the lack of social services to look after unwanted babies and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City