Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 09:31 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Yes, Michigander Tex, definitely "a few." Atlanta will be 9th-largest for a while. It won't be the fifth-largest metro this century, probably. This thread's title is civic boosterism on steroids.
Wrong, the person that started this thread is a Seattle resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 12:26 PM

704 posts, read 444,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wrong, the person that started this thread is a Seattle resident.
He's from Atlanta though isn't he? I don't think the creator of this thread is promoting boosterism though.. these are simply the long term population projections 30-40 years out. As I've said before that was based on 1900-2010 Atlanta growth rates. It's possible the growth rates of the 2020s and going forward in Atlanta slows dramatically. It already slowed a decent amount in the 2010s. This was the slowest growth rate for Georgia in decades although it still saw the 4th highest numerical increase in population behind Texas, Florida and California.

Last edited by MichiganderTexan; 08-13-2021 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-13-2021, 01:03 PM

1,374 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
He's from Atlanta though isn't he? I don't think the creator of this thread is promoting boosterism though.. these are simply the long term population projections 30-40 years out. As I've said before that was based on 1900-2010 Atlanta growth rates. It's possible the growth rates of the 2020s and going forward in Atlanta slows dramatically. It already did in the 2010s. This was the slowest growth rate for Georgia in decades although it still saw the 4th highest numerical increase in population behind Texas, Florida and California.
The main appeal for me to go to Florida or Texas would be the no-state tax. Georgia and North Carolina are doing pretty well without it.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:23 PM

704 posts, read 444,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
The main appeal for me to go to Florida or Texas would be the no-state tax. Georgia and North Carolina are doing pretty well without it.
To me personally the no state income tax is overrated as a major perk in Texas unless you are wealthy or a very high income earner. They make up for it in other ways like having very high property taxes, and expensive toll roads that are basically required for your commute. I know a family in Texas that between the wife and husband they spend at least $400-$500 a month on toll roads together. Probably more than the average person but even the average I don't think spending $100-$200 a month per person is uncommon depending on where you commute. Probably some families spending a good bit more than the $400-$500 too.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
He's from Atlanta though isn't he? I don't think the creator of this thread is promoting boosterism though.. these are simply the long term population projections 30-40 years out. As I've said before that was based on 1900-2010 Atlanta growth rates. It's possible the growth rates of the 2020s and going forward in Atlanta slows dramatically. It already slowed a decent amount in the 2010s. This was the slowest growth rate for Georgia in decades although it still saw the 4th highest numerical increase in population behind Texas, Florida and California.
Yes, he's originally from here. I agree with you that he didn't create this thread to promote Atlanta, he isn't the boosterish type at all.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Yeah, I'm from Atlanta. Lived around there all my life until the last year and a half here in Seattle. I like it here and am planning to stay.

I'm not sure yet if I'll ever move back to Atlanta- definitely maybe. Most of my family is there, so I'll definitely visit every year and check on the progress of everything.

I find the Atlanta transit issues really frustrating, and the Georgia politics issues. And I don't miss the humidity whatsoever. But, I still like Atlanta, it will always be home, etc. I want to see it do well, but this thread was just curiosity, not any agenda.

Though I would honestly move back to Atlanta before I'd move to really any of its sunbelt competitors. And that's even if I had no family or friends or connections there. Most of them are smaller (Nashville, Charlotte, etc), like comparing Portland to Seattle. Dallas and Houston are larger, but they have zero appeal to me. But if you like Texas, cool, have at it.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I do appreciate the no state income tax in Washington. Was a nice little raise. One reason why WA is the only state on the west coast I'm interested in residing.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:51 PM

As far as will Atlanta be the 5th largest MSA, it's currently 9th and:

-It will undoubtedly pass Philadelphia very soon
-Washington DC and Miami MSA's are only slightly larger, and both grew slower between 2010-2020
-Chicago is barely growing at all
-Phoenix is the wildcard that might even become larger than Atlanta

So ATL will definitely be 8th, and might well be the 6th largest US "city" within a reasonable time, but it will take a while to pass Chicago's 9.6 million even with no growth there, and aptly-named Phoenix might eventually pass Atlanta by that time.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
As far as will Atlanta be the 5th largest MSA, it's currently 9th and:

-It will undoubtedly pass Philadelphia very soon
-Washington DC and Miami MSA's are only slightly larger, and both grew slower between 2010-2020
-Chicago is barely growing at all
-Phoenix is the wildcard that might even become larger than Atlanta

So ATL will definitely be 8th, and might well be the 6th largest US "city" within a reasonable time, but it will take a while to pass Chicago's 9.6 million even with no growth there, and aptly-named Phoenix might eventually pass Atlanta by that time.
Atlanta outgrew Phoenix in raw numbers this last decade so that's pretty much an outreach at this point.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:24 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
To me personally the no state income tax is overrated as a major perk in Texas unless you are wealthy or a very high income earner. They make up for it in other ways like having very high property taxes, and expensive toll roads that are basically required for your commute. I know a family in Texas that between the wife and husband they spend at least $400-$500 a month on toll roads together. Probably more than the average person but even the average I don't think spending $100-$200 a month per person is uncommon depending on where you commute. Probably some families spending a good bit more than the $400-$500 too.
I keep ~ $200 on my TXTag. I work remotely but if I had to commute every day it could cost me about $200 monthly. I also had to keep money on my PeachPass, but considerably less.

Without the toll roads considered I would say they’re pretty close between high property tax / no income tax vs lower property tax / income tax. I did a comparison between W.Plano and Roswell awhile back and the difference was about $200 a year (which isn’t much) savings in TX. Now if one is renting and lives near their job (no tolls) in TX, there is a considerable savings. Property owners eat the cost of running the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City