Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 07:59 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times

Advertisements

Yeah but the problem is there really aren’t any cheaper housing metros in this country that offer the amenities of a big city, and in many cases even a mid-sized city. While you’re correct that Atlanta is getting more expensive, when you stack it up in comparison to other large or mid-sized metros, it’s still pretty difficult to beat in relationship.

Yes there are places you can go for a more affordable lifestyle, and there’s nothing wrong with this, but it won’t be near a major city by todays standards.

While you’re correct that there is a disproportion between the lower income and cost of living, this is actually more of a national inflation problem than it is a growth problem (outside of the problem of many major cities today not building enough to meet demand.) You’ll find this problem in every major city.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-07-2021 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 08:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
What was driving growth in all the cities in the past decade?
Jobs and housing.

Two of the five metro areas with the most numerical growth this past decade (NYC and Washington DC) are not low cost metros or cities. They continually grow due to increased infrastructure upgrades and housing additions.

Houston and Dallas by far added the most housing so their growth percentage and numerical total stayed up. Atlanta did well too in both growth percentage, and total housing units added, and added the 4th most numerical population.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:01 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
I feel like I'm living in California again because Atlanta is not only getting more expensive but also crowded. Every time I go out somewhere, even to the outer suburbs or even the mountain towns like Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Helen, etc. it is super packed, hard to find parking, and people everywhere.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:18 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I feel like I'm living in California again because Atlanta is not only getting more expensive but also crowded. Every time I go out somewhere, even to the outer suburbs or even the mountain towns like Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Helen, etc. it is super packed, hard to find parking, and people everywhere.
To be fair, Helen and Dahlonega have been active cities for quite some time.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:16 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
No, DC and Houston are pulling away faster than Atlanta is gaining.
No doubt that ATL will be 7th (overtaking Miami and Philly) in a few years.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:19 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
I guess yo didn’t read OP?

Old 12-14-2021, 09:06 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
I agree. Atlanta has faster job growth than both, so that might impact growth rates.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
DC may be a tough one to pass up. I can easily see Atlanta Metro being in the 7th spot in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City