Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I can agree on the Governor but the power grid will resolved. But please don't act like other states haven't had power grid issues. In some ways, the mix of resources used is much better than most other states. By far, Texas is first in wind power, and second in solar energy. Texas was sixth in overall increase in renewable energy from 2010-2019 - https://www.globaltrademag.com/state...gy-production/

Oh and based on this research, Texas still ranks better than GA.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ructure/energy

Winterizing will be the key.
Haha agree. California and New York have had known power grid issues for decades. Their infrastructure is crumbling, especially New York. The Governor of Texas has been fantastic during his term. Hence the reason Texas is booming and will continue to boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 08:41 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Texas.

Atlanta's in the South, too, and definitely has its issues, but it's greener, hillier, prettier, and less hot than Texas. And I feel like Atlanta city proper has a slight edge over any particular city in Texas, in terms of being a global/international city. Eastern Time Zone advantage, #1 airport, heavy rail subway, CNN, etc. It's the capital of the southeast. Dallas and Houston just seem a little more generic, or something. I guess Houston has the NASA connection, but they don't fly space shuttles anymore.

Not that I'm planning to move back to Georgia, either. I might someday.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:50 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
If you could combine Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin into one city, now that would be a big deal city. That would be the New York of the South.

But, they're split up. And even Dallas and Fort Worth are not quite the same city. They're just very nearby.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:01 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I think we are in one of those turning points in history, like around world war 2 when the established order was created. I don't know if population trends can be extrapolated right now, with so much change happening (climate, information technology, energy, labor, etc.). I think it will probably be 2030 until we know where we're headed.
Those areas are separated because the secondary city does not meet the criteria to combine into a single MSA. Commuting patterns...etc.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:09 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I can agree on the Governor but the power grid will resolved. But please don't act like other states haven't had power grid issues. In some ways, the mix of resources used is much better than most other states. By far, Texas is first in wind power, and second in solar energy. Texas was sixth in overall increase in renewable energy from 2010-2019 - https://www.globaltrademag.com/state...gy-production/

Oh and based on this research, Texas still ranks better than GA.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ructure/energy

Winterizing will be the key.
Yeah, by one measly rank. The 2nd largest State with triple the population and a land area that dwarfs Georgia ranks just one slot above us. I'll take it. I'm just happy for El Paso being on the National Grid, they don't have to deal with your broken mess.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Haha agree. California and New York have had known power grid issues for decades. Their infrastructure is crumbling, especially New York. The Governor of Texas has been fantastic during his term. Hence the reason Texas is booming and will continue to boom.
He's been an unmitigated disaster, and is nothing less than an autocratic strongman wannabe. He blatantly lied about the power grid failure, blaming it on frozen wind turbines and solar panels. People died. Big oil still runs the State, and it shows. He also spends billions to poach companies from other States, mostly California. Then he gleefully taunts them and brags about it. Yeah, he's your type of Governor alright - an out of control despotic fool still taking his orders from Trump.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
He's been an unmitigated disaster, and is nothing less than an autocratic strongman wannabe. He blatantly lied about the power grid failure, blaming it on frozen wind turbines and solar panels. People died. Big oil still runs the State, and it shows. He also spends billions to poach companies from other States, mostly California. Then he gleefully taunts them and brags about it. Yeah, he's your type of Governor alright - an out of control despotic fool still taking his orders from Trump.
Now let’s talk about Georgia’s Governor and legislature…

Old 07-23-2021, 12:44 PM

492 posts, read 535,846 times
Becoming number 6 is all but certain because we are only looking at a less than 300k gap and it will happen in the next 1 to 2 decades... Number 5 is tough, we are looking at a 3 M population gain from 6M to 9M.. It is possible but a lot of things have to fall in place, Chicago still has to keep loosing people or stay stagnant meanwhile Phoenix or some other city might explode and over take Atlanta..

Old 07-23-2021, 12:54 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
is larger better or worse?

Old 07-23-2021, 01:00 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The whole ERCOT ordeal to me is an issue though. We in Texas will likely ‘not’ be getting winterization. The energy sector is privatized for a reason, and not for the good of the consumer. I personally am suspicious that the whole ordeal was a mock-up in effort to gouge pricing for profit, potentially to pay off debts. California has done similar things. Either way though as long as Texas remains off the national grid they will manipulate the energy sector in a way that suites their personal interest, not the interest of the consumer.
On average Texas produces a surplus of electricity over consumption by a fairly large margin. You would think that there is some manipulation of the market.
Source of TX electricity
  • 52.2% NG Natural Gas
  • 19.5% WND Wind
  • 16.6% COL Coal
  • 8.7% NUC Nuclear
  • 1.8% SUN Solar PV and thermal
  • 1.2% ------ other
There are two operating nuclear power plants in Texas. The South Texas Project (STP) is in Matagorda County near Bay City, about 90 miles southwest of Houston. Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant is in Somervell County near Glen Rose, TX, about 40 miles south of Fort Worth. Both have twin reactors.
STP : Commission date
Unit 1: August 25, 1988 (33 years ago)
Unit 2: June 19, 1989
Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant :Commission date
Unit 1: August 13, 1990
Unit 2: August 3, 1993 (27 years ago)
A standard license is for 40 years.

Texas generates far more power today from Natural Gas than any other state in the US. Once the Coal and nuclear plants are closed down and wind replaces a small percentage of the lost energy, Natural Gas will remain supreme in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: 2000–01 California electricity crisis
In California in 2000 and 2001 energy traders took power plants offline for maintenance in days of peak demand to increase the price. Traders were thus able to sell power at premium prices, sometimes up to a factor of 20 times its normal value. Because the state government had a cap on retail electricity charges, this market manipulation squeezed the industry's revenue margins, causing the bankruptcy of Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) and near bankruptcy of Southern California Edison in early 2001.

According to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the financial crisis was possible because of partial deregulation legislation instituted in 1996 by the California Legislature (AB 1890) and Governor Pete Wilson. Enron took advantage of this deregulation and was involved in economic withholding and inflated price bidding in California's spot markets.The crisis cost between US$40 and $45 billion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, by one measly rank. The 2nd largest State with triple the population and a land area that dwarfs Georgia ranks just one slot above us. I'll take it. I'm just happy for El Paso being on the National Grid, they don't have to deal with your broken mess.
There is no national grid. El Paso is on the Western Interconnect which is 11 complete states, 2 Canadian provinces, and part of Baja California around TJ.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-23-2021 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City