Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Lol. Yet you live in Georgia. A state that thinks just like Texas lol.
Georgia did go Blue the last election cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._States_by_GDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Uh, California has no state to be jealous of, especially not any of the hot and humid, socio-politically backwards southern states. California's economy is larger than India, and the UK, and France, and Australia. It's about the economic size of South America.
California is nothing to be jealous of. It's dry and constantly on fire, and I'm not a Republican but it's too extreme on the liberal side, lots of homeless because you have to be a millionaire to afford it and it's still struggle. It may have one of largest economies in the world but that don't mean the quality of life is great.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:47 PM

4,322 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post

Exceptional post. However, are you saying that SF/San Jose and DC/Baltimore will combine into one metro? I can't see that based on the current commuting patterns and MSA definition. I think Atlanta will move past DC for 6th and sit there for a while.
Not saying it’ll combine based on the definitions. But, it’s sort of ridiculous to call it 2 metros, speaking as a Bay Area resident. It’s a continuous populated area with no breaks. It is a single media market, single sports market and plenty of people commute in both directions for jobs.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:26 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
The west coast is expensive for a reason. If it wasn't desirable, it wouldn't be expensive.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:47 PM

65 posts, read 46,990 times
Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa and Orlando will help keep Atlanta’s population under control. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great city but I couldn’t imagine a few million more with the traffic system.

I see people mentioning Phoenix can’t get bigger. I wouldn’t bet on that. I’ve lived here 20 years and people are always saying it will run out of water. We conserve water. If push comes to shove just look at Israel. They solved their problem with desalination in a decade I think. California needs to get on that because their water issues are way worse than Arizona.

East coast cities have more options and I think being close together might keep it from getting out of control. Arizona and Texas are booming because there are not a lot of choices due to cities being spread out. Things are concentrating fast.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa and Orlando will help keep Atlanta’s population under control. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great city but I couldn’t imagine a few million more with the traffic system.

I see people mentioning Phoenix can’t get bigger. I wouldn’t bet on that. I’ve lived here 20 years and people are always saying it will run out of water. We conserve water. If push comes to shove just look at Israel. They solved their problem with desalination in a decade I think. California needs to get on that because their water issues are way worse than Arizona.

East coast cities have more options and I think being close together might keep it from getting out of control. Arizona and Texas are booming because there are not a lot of choices due to cities being spread out. Things are concentrating fast.
Atlanta's going to continue to grow at least 50,000 annually regardless of the traffic problems. The business atmosphere there and logistics advantage will ensure of that. Regarding Phoenix, it will continue to grow as well as long as people leave California.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:08 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Georgia did go Blue the last election cycle.
To be fair, because of the way the voting system works, it will be much harder for Texas to turn blue than Georgia due to how much more rural land it encompasses compared to urbanized areas.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:50 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Hard to say, as trends over long terms can swing things either way. Going the way it has been, then yes. BUT if Atlanta doesn’t work proactively to address crime and traffic then that complicates things. It’s not just about new births but relocations. In order for the pace to keep up, we have to make sure we remain desirable to new businesses that would locate or expand here and for people to want to live here.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:48 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To be fair, because of the way the voting system works, it will be much harder for Texas to turn blue than Georgia due to how much more rural land it encompasses compared to urbanized areas.
More of Texas's population (67%) lives in metro areas of 1M+ inhabitants, however. There are four such metro areas in Texas - DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio. ATL is the only such metro in Georgia, and it represents just 56% of the population.

I agree that turning Texas blue does seem like an uphill battle, but its urban/rural ratio in comparison to Georgia's does seem to indicate that it should be possible.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:50 AM

65 posts, read 46,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Atlanta's going to continue to grow at least 50,000 annually regardless of the traffic problems. The business atmosphere there and logistics advantage will ensure of that. Regarding Phoenix, it will continue to grow as well as long as people leave California.
That’s true. I didn’t mean it wouldn’t grow. Just those cities could help keep it in check of having insane growth. The one thing that could increase growth is if GA keeps voting blue. That is a differentiator with all of the other cities. Tech companies will absolutely prefer that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City