Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 11:32 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Disagree completely. "Mecca" is irrelevant to visitors. A Mecca is for the benefit and concentration people from that group. Otherwise, we would consider Epcot at Disney a Mecca because all the country pavilions are from people from the specific country and they serve food from that country.
Naw you lost me here.

E.g. People visit Atlanta because it's a mecca of black culture. It's the majority of its selling point for black visitors.

Do you think folks would visit as heavily if they weren't visible downtown? And they really had to travel to pockets of the suburban ATL Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 11:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
[quote=BostonBornMassMade;61552598]To the Bolded: East Asians? No..

don't see how this is misleading.

The Japanese Cherry Blossom in DC has nothing to do with being an East Asian Mecca. They were brought here over 100 years ago. They're trees, not people. There may be more Japanese Cherry Blossoms in the DC MSA than Japanese people...This would be akin to saying North Carolina is Asian because has a lot of pigs/pork consumption. And pigs do come from Asia at some point. I'm being hyperbolic but not entirely.
(There's also a Cherry Blossom festival in Brookline MA)

Lastly, is Chinese New Year not a big deal in Boston?? I

/QUOTE]

You're the one calling out Washington DC's East Asians, not the other way around. No one called out Boston here. You're boosting.

I just laid out the stats.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM

128 posts, read 71,873 times
Quote:
Most of this is misleading.

The DC metro area has more Asians by total and percentage than Boston.

Boston has more of a "true urban" Asian enclave, but DC "technically" has one too with DC's Chinatown, and that used to be much more intense decades ago.

DC also has urban events for Asian population the way a worldly capital city should. You tried to down play the Cherry Blossoms in DC, but it's one of the most popular events connected to Asian heritage in America.

DC Chinese new year in Chinatown (not the suburbs) is a big deal every year.

I've stumbled into clubs in DC on a regular "international night" just looking for an overall mixed crowd, and it was filled with East Asians.

Boston is right there, it's good Asian presence in the city, but context is important.
I completely agree with this post. I don't understand why other posters would downplay the Cherry Blossom Festival. Its not just about the trees. Cherry Blossom season in DC is fillled with Japanese cultural events. East Asians from all over the area attend this event. I also agree that DC metro provides a greater variety of East Asian cultures overall. Although technically people may consider Southeast Asian culture to be significantly different from East Asian culture, I would say that the two cultures share a lot of similarities. Vietnamese and Filipino people in America in particular often live in areas near East Asian communities, work in East Asian owned businesses, and shop at the same stores and restaurants.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:36 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw you lost me here.

E.g. People visit Atlanta because it's a mecca of black culture. It's the majority of its selling point for black visitors.

Do you think folks would visit as heavily if they weren't visible downtown? And they really had to travel to pockets of the suburban ATL Metro?
Apples and oranges.

Black culture is American. It comes from here. Black Americans speak English. People dont have to immigrate and go through legal hoops to be black Americans in the US. Products consumed by black Americans are available almost everywhere.

Chinese (or whoever) enclaves exist for people who are not from here, often dont speak the language, and have a wide variety of specialty products not available outside of that enclave. They arent there so you can look at Chinese people.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:38 AM

[quote=the resident09;61552669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
To the Bolded: East Asians? No..

don't see how this is misleading.

The Japanese Cherry Blossom in DC has nothing to do with being an East Asian Mecca. They were brought here over 100 years ago. They're trees, not people. There may be more Japanese Cherry Blossoms in the DC MSA than Japanese people...This would be akin to saying North Carolina is Asian because has a lot of pigs/pork consumption. And pigs do come from Asia at some point. I'm being hyperbolic but not entirely.
(There's also a Cherry Blossom festival in Brookline MA)

Lastly, is Chinese New Year not a big deal in Boston?? I

/QUOTE]

You're the one calling out Washington DC's East Asians, not the other way around. No one called out Boston here. You're boosting.

I just laid out the stats.
I said I think Bostons above DC for East Asians, due to it being a more East Asian % metro and basically identical numbers. And DC being primarily non-east Asian in its metro and having those cultures drowned out by 3 other races as opposed to just 2. And more "authentic enclaves" and higher core city population.

I think that's fair to say. So yes I would 'boost' it above DC and Houston and probably Dallas. On the East Coast its only below NYC. Those places you're looking at are mostly Southeast Asians and South Asians.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
I completely agree with this post. I don't understand why other posters would downplay the Cherry Blossom Festival. Its not just about the trees. Cherry Blossom season in DC is fillled with Japanese cultural events. East Asians from all over the area attend this event. I also agree that DC metro provides a greater variety of East Asian cultures overall. Although technically people may consider Southeast Asian culture to be significantly different from East Asian culture, I would say that the two cultures share a lot of similarities. Vietnamese and Filipino people in America in particular often live in areas near East Asian communities, work in East Asian owned businesses, and shop at the same stores and restaurants.
Exactly. On top of this, Hong Kong for example is more similar to Vietnam culturally than the rest of that definition of East Asia. I’m convinced the only reason he’s bringing it up is to boost Boston.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Apples and oranges.

Black culture is American. It comes from here. Black Americans speak English. People dont have to immigrate and go through legal hoops to be black Americans in the US. Products consumed by black Americans are available almost everywhere.

Chinese (or whoever) enclaves exist for people who are not from here, often dont speak the language, and have a wide variety of specialty products not available outside of that enclave. They arent there so you can look at Chinese people.
What does this have to do with being a mecca?

Im not following this post

Old 07-28-2021, 11:40 AM

[quote=BostonBornMassMade;61552721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

I said I think Bostons above DC for East Asians, due to it being a more East Asian % metro and basically identical numbers. And DC being primarily non-east Asian in its metro and having those cultures drowned out by 3 other races as opposed to just 2. And more "authentic enclaves" and higher core city population.

I think that's fair to say. So yes I would 'boost' it above DC and Houston and probably Dallas. On the East Coast its only below NYC. Those places you're looking at are mostly Southeast Asians and South Asians.
Ok, everyone can bow down now. To the almighty Boston East Asian Mecca!

Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM

Where's 18Montclair been at...We need flight data to East Asian airports!

Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Exactly. On top of this, Hong Kong for example is more similar to Vietnam culturally than the rest of that definition of East Asia. I’m convinced the only reason he’s bringing it up is to boost Boston.
I haven't found this to be true, like at all-

" Vietnamese and Filipino people in America in particular often live in areas near East Asian communities, work in East Asian owned businesses,"

Both these communities tend to live near black people because of their lower-incomes. And they work in their own stores more often than not. Not East Asian ones.

Southeast Asia and East Asia are pretty distinct I think most people would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City