Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:20 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I believe this is pretty different than East Asian behavior. Both statistically and anecdotally.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/f...heir-race.html
It’s definitely far different than Southeast behavior though. Indonesia is just as opposed to mixing as China if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 12:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
2,000 people? No, that doesn't mean anything to me. That's too firmly within the margin of error, and in looking at trends- Boston would be ahead in 2021.
Only if not counting Vietnam and the Philippines.

I've been to Boston, and did not find it more "East Asian" than DC. At best the same tier.

Then lets not even get onto Chinese tourists.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Only if not counting Vietnam and the Philippines.

I've been to Boston, and did not find it more "East Asian" than DC. At best the same tier.

Then lets not even get onto Chinese tourists.
But objectively, it is. Boston (City and immediate suburbs/cities) is more East Asian than DC (and immediate suburbs/cities). Ive seen more of the DMV than you have of Boston lol. I'm sure you didn't go to Lexington Malden or Quincy. Whereas I've actually been to Annandale. I'm telling you, from experience- it's not that close.

Boston has more than 2x as many Asians as Washington DC.

So if you think that the feel the same idk what to tell you. Never mind areas adjacent to Boston having percentages of 17,33, 15% asian. like...what is even being said right now? By far the inner/urban core of Boston is more (east) Asian than DC inner/urban area. By far.

And no I wouldn't count Vietnam and the Phillippines.

We cant touch the tourist because DC is a different tier and Boston doesn't collect any racial info on its tourists.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-28-2021 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 12:35 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
But objectively, it is. Boston (City and immediate suburbs/cities) is more East Asian than DC (and immediate suburbs/cities). Ive seen more of the DMV than you have of Boston lol. I'm sure you didn't go to Lexington Malden or Quincy. Whereas Ive been to Annandale.

And no I wouldn't count Vietnam and the Phillippines.

We cant touch the tourist because DC is a different tier and Boston doesn't collect any racial info on its tourists.
I live in the DMV and haven't even spent significant time in Annandale, but growing up here I know how expansive the overall population base of the region is racially.

The DC suburbs have more ethnic diversity than Boston's, and by more nations, so it's really hard to just brush this off. You've just been shown that the DC MSA has more overall Asians by total population and percentage, and that from East Asian "large" countries Boston primarily leads in Chinese and that's it. You complained about the MSA comparison, and were also shown that by urban area, in which the two are much closer in population, that DC still is has more foreign born East Asians total than Boston.

And this doesn't even include Howard County (neighboring the MSA) which separates the two even further.

I don't know what else needs to be discussed here.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I live in the DMV and haven't even spent significant time in Annandale, but growing up here I know how expansive the overall population base of the region is racially.

The DC suburbs have more ethnic diversity than Boston's, and by more nations, so it's really hard to just brush this off. You've just been shown that the DC MSA has more overall Asians by total population and percentage, and that from East Asian "large" countries Boston primarily leads in Chinese and that's it. You complained about the MSA comparison, and were also shown that by urban area, in which the two are much closer in population, that DC still is has more foreign born East Asians total than Boston.

And this doesn't even include Howard County (neighboring the MSA) which separates the two even further.

I don't know what else needs to be discussed here.
The Urban Area where DC still has 600,0000 more people and 2,000 more East Asians?

Leading in the largest country (by far) of East Asia is a negative? The Chinese share of Bostons East Asian population accurately reflects its share of the population of East Asia.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM

8,336 posts, read 5,492,671 times
So lets go back to the OP.

Paraguanero Swag, did you mean the conversation around this to only be China, Japan, and Korea or did you mean to include countries like Vietnam and the Philippines?

Old 07-28-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Paraguanero Swag, did you mean the conversation around this to only be China, Japan, and Korea or did you mean to include countries like Vietnam and the Philippines?
I guess you didn’t read the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
How would you rank the East Asian meccas of the USA? For sakes of this thread, we are including both northeast and Southeast Asia. Basically, the Himalayas as the dividing point. So Vietnam and the Philippines are included but not Nepal, India, etc.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

That's what he meant, my question was: why? I don't find them terribly similar in the USA. And if you have to outline they're also included, obviously they're usually (ever?) not included

Old 07-28-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
That's what he meant, my question was: why? I don't find them terribly similar in the USA. And if you have to outline they're also included, obviously they're usually (ever?) not included
Someone from Hong Kong is far more similar culturally to Viatnam than to Seoul. Let’s be real. The only reason you have a problem here is due to how it affects Boston. And speak for yourself in your last sentence. That’s not true. The only two people here who have had a problem with it is two notorious Boston boosters.

Edit: I take that back. shruda didn’t even have that much of a problem with. One notorious Boston booster.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 07-28-2021 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Someone from Hong Kong is far more similar culturally to Viatnam than to Seoul. Let’s be real. The only reason you have a problem here is due to how it affects Boston. And speak for yourself in your last sentence. That’s not true. The only two people here who have had a problem with it is two notorious Boston boosters.

Edit: I take that back. shruda didn’t even have that much of a problem with. One notorious Boston booster.
Southeast Asia and East Asia are two very well-recognized different areas. And they again your note talking about in the USA-you're talking about Asia.

Just going of HDI and cultural output I don't see why Hong Kong (.940) is more similar to Vietnam (.704) and not Seoul (.933). That makes no sense. And just further illustrates why they're two distinct regions.

The people form Hong Kong I've met are loaded rich. The People from Seoul/South Korea are upper-middle class-by and large. People I've met from Vietnam are broke af.

Off phenotype, the people from Hong Kong fall in between Northern Vietnamese and South Koreans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City