Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im curious to know how many people commenting have spent time in Asia.
I have been to SE Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia), with a long layover in Guangzhou, China. I've also dated a Filipino from the islands themselves not American Filipino.

Vietnamese to me could go either way, similar in many ways to South Chinese, but connected to the rest of SE Asia, but hey I'm a Black male from the United States, who am I to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 02:46 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I have been to SE Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia), with a long layover in Guangzhou, China. I've also dated a Filipino from the islands themselves not American Filipino.

Vietnamese to me could go either way, similar in many ways to South Chinese, but connected to the rest of SE Asia, but hey I'm a Black male from the United States, who am I to say.
100%. theres no problem with the question. You can make the case either way. BostonMade’s passion to get it right is what’s odd here. Many consider Vietnam part of East Asia and many don’t. Without an official definition, there’s not much

The same argument exists for Iran with the Middle East or even Turkey. Or Afganistán with South Asia. Heck, not to mention Central America. This is why people specify when there’s doubt. And that’s why I made sure to specify. Definitely strange to see the passion to change everyone’s opinion

Old 07-28-2021, 03:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
100%. theres no problem with the question. You can make the case either way. BostonMade’s passion to get it right is what’s odd here. Many consider Vietnam part of East Asia and many don’t. Without an official definition, there’s not much

The same argument exists for Iran with the Middle East or even Turkey. Or Afganistán with South Asia. Heck, not to mention Central America. This is why people specify when there’s doubt. And that’s why I made sure to specify. Definitely strange to see the passion to change everyone’s opinion
Yes there are a few "middle ground" type of regions of the World, where the grey area on how to describe the local populace is pretty large. To me Vietnamese is simply Asian, I don't say SE Asian, nor East Asian, just "Asian", (although on a map it's clearly Southeast Asia).

Old 07-28-2021, 06:32 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Why would any region have an "official" definition? Who would even be in charge of such a thing? And why would anybody listen to them?

Old 07-28-2021, 08:03 PM

128 posts, read 72,105 times
Quote:

I agree completely. The OP made a specific criteria for the countries included in the discussion. I understand if you want to argue Boston is more of a Mecca for East Asian culture based on its urban Chinese population but the OP wanted to include a more diverese range of East Asian countries. Even though Vietnam or the Phillippines may be considered southeast Asia they still have historically been heavily influenced by East Asian countries such as China and Japan. So their are definitely cultural ties between the more developed East Asian countries and Southeast Asia. This relationship is opposed to other countries in Asia such as India and the other Western Asian countries. OPs criteria is valid based on the historical cultural ties between many of the countries in Eastern Asia.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:43 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
AsAbove, so how would you rank them?
Its pretty hard to rank a region as a whole. I guess Id have to define it first. I see a Mecca as a place people, from a specific group, are drawn to live. That makes it even more tricky because, by that definition, there is no Japanese or Korean Mecca in the US right now because immigrants from those countries dont really move here much anymore.

But that definition discounts the large number of people from those countries already living here. I dont see a large population already in place as a "Mecca" per se, but they were obviously a Mecca at one time.

I think total population is more important than per capita (or concentration) in this measure because a group like the Chinese in New York will create a larger enclave than one in San Jose even though youd be more likely to run into a Chinese person in San Jose. Even so, the enclave will be much smaller in San Jose.

With that in mind, Id look at two different metrics: who is moving in and who is already there. Ill base my ranking on both. Since youre the OP and your intention was to include Southeast Asian countries, I will do so as well.

Lets start by who is there already. Ill divide it into two groups: major enclaves (over 30,000 immigrants) and minor enclaves (10,000-30,000 immigrants).

Major Enclaves
Los Angeles: 6 Countries - China, Philippines, Vietnam, Korea, Taiwan, and Japan

New York City: 4 Countries - China, Philippines, Korea, and Taiwan
San Jose: 4 Countries - China, Philippines, Vietnam, and Taiwan
Washington DC: 4 Countries - China, Philippines, Vietnam, and Korea
Seattle: 4 Countries - China, Philippines, Vietnam, and Korea

San Francisco: 3 Countries - China, Philippines, and Vietnam
Chicago: 3 Countries - China, Philippines, and Korea
Houston: 3 Countries - China, Philippines, and Vietnam
Atlanta: 3 Countries - China, Vietnam, and Korea
San Diego: 3 Countries - China, Philippines, and Vietnam
Sacramento: 3 Countries - China, Philippines, and Vietnam

Dallas/Fort Worth: 2 Countries - China and Vietnam

Boston: 1 Country - China
Philadelphia: 1 Country - China
Las Vegas: 1 Country - Philippines

Minor Enclaves
Los Angeles: 3 Countries - Thailand, Cambodia, and Indonesia
New York City: 3 Countries - Vietnam, Japan, and Thailand
San Francisco: 3 Countries - Korea, Taiwan, and Japan
Boston: 3 Countries - Philippines, Vietnam, and Korea
Philadelphia: 3 Countries - Philippines, Vietnam, and Korea

Chicago: 2 Countries - Vietnam and Japan
Seattle: 2 Countries - Taiwan and Japan
Houston: 2 Countries - Korea and Taiwan
Dallas/Fort Worth: 2 Countries - Philippines and Korea
San Diego: 2 Countries - Japan and Korea

Washington DC: 1 Country - Taiwan
San Jose: 1 Country - Korea
Atlanta: 1 Country - Philippines
Las Vegas: 1 Country - China

Now in terms of which places are growing fastest by immigrant group 2010-2019:

East Asian Growth (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong)
New York City: 59,439
Los Angeles: 57,007
Seattle/Tacoma: 55,927
San Jose: 46,760
Boston: 38,135
San Francisco: 28,180
Dallas/Fort Worth: 27,864
Chicago: 24,318
Riverside: 21,648
San Diego: 17,660
Houston: 15,540
Sacramento: 14,589
Portland, OR: 12,754
Washington DC: 12,684
Philadelphia: 11,515
Denver: 7,878
Austin: 7,056
Atlanta: 6,518
Columbus, OH: 6,353
Charlotte: 6,081
Detroit: 5,758
Phoenix: 5,752
Tampa: 5,377
Las Vegas: 4,582
Orlando: 4,565
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 3,006
Baltimore: 2,223
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 1,574
Providence: 192

and Southeast Asian Growth (Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Burma, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, and Singapore)
Houston: 38,178
Las Vegas: 27,340
Dallas/Fort Worth: 23,866
Atlanta: 21,133
Riverside: 16,927
Los Angeles: 15,934
San Francisco: 15,022
Phoenix: 13,125
San Diego: 12,775
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 11,717
Seattle/Tacoma: 10,773
San Jose: 10,723
Sacramento: 9,416
New York City: 8,959
Orlando: 8,494
Charlotte: 7,520
Chicago: 6,858
Washington DC: 5,793
Austin: 5,738
Tampa: 5,460
Portland, OR: 3,794
Boston: 3,277
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 1,600
Columbus, OH: 1,269
Providence: 949
Denver: -310
Philadelphia: -846
Baltimore: -1,178
Detroit: -3,713

So based on the data above I would rank them as below:

Los Angeles

New York City
San Francisco/San Jose

Seattle

Washington DC
Houston

Boston
Chicago
San Diego
Dallas/Fort Worth

Atlanta
Philadelphia
Sacramento

My opinion anyway.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 07-28-2021 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 11:58 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Many consider Vietnam part of East Asia
No one says that though... you're inserting ambiguity I've ever, ever, heard of. I don't think that confusion exists.

You're saying that, but people don't say that.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No one says that though... you're inserting ambiguity I've ever, ever, heard of. I don't think that confusion exists.

You're saying that, but people don't say that.
This entire thread says otherwise. No one questioned it until you did and you’ve been arguing on your own this whole time. But go ahead and keep supposing your definition is just the one everyone has to adopt even though most disagree with you.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Why would any region have an "official" definition? Who would even be in charge of such a thing? And why would anybody listen to them?
Apparently, BostonMade is in charge of this decision but no one is listening to it as is expected.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:15 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Apparently, BostonMade is in charge of this decision but no one is listening to it as is expected.
He’s right, though, that Vietnamese is not typically considered East Asian. There is no “official” boundary and you can make the case that it should be part of East Asia, as some in this thread have. But type in “East Asia” into a Google search and it’s clear the general consensus is that it does not include Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City