Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't think most East Asians see themselves as such, so it doesn't really matter that much how you categorize them. A second generation Chinese American is no more likely to go to a predominantly Vietnamese club than a non-ethnic one, and the first generation immigrants of any ethnicity only care about amenities that cater to their language and culture. They only see themselves as 'Asian' when checking off boxes or reading about hate crime incidents.
A ranking of Chinese-American mecca will likely not overlap much with one for Korean-American or Japanese-American, except maybe at the top. The list that you guys are trying to build might be more applicable to second or third generation Asian Americans who only want a place where other people are used to them and they don't stand out in any way. They don't use much of Asian amenities except for restaurants where their taste is probably not that different from other Americans.
You figured this would be obvious to anyone but apparently it’s not the case. Anyway, let’s not re light that fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 12:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You need to travel a bit. This is not even close to any city I ranked above Atlanta except Dallas.
I've traveled to 25 countries and 45 states. I lived in 3 different countries (US, Japan, and Korea) and 3 different states (Ohio, California, Georgia).

Old 07-30-2021, 12:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Because Atlanta's offerings towards the Chinese and Taiwanese communities are outdone by a lot of other cities like LA, SF, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Houston, and Philadelphia. What Atlanta offers isnt really unique.

With Korean amenities, its a bit different. Atlanta is still behind a few other cities but its more noteworthy.
For SF, NYC I can see it because of the great Chinatowns and also places like Flushing but for somewhere like Houston, it's not much of a difference. Atlanta has plenty of huge Chinese markets, food options, Chinese doctors/medicine, etc. For Korean, only LA and maybe Palisades Park/Fort Lee will be higher.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:52 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
For SF, NYC I can see it because of the great Chinatowns and also places like Flushing but for somewhere like Houston, it's not much of a difference. Atlanta has plenty of huge Chinese markets, food options, Chinese doctors/medicine, etc. For Korean, only LA and maybe Palisades Park/Fort Lee will be higher.
Sorry, no.

For Chinese, there is a massive difference between Atlanta and Houston. The gap is the same as Korean amenities between Atlanta and Houston but in the other direction.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I've traveled to 25 countries and 45 states. I lived in 3 different countries (US, Japan, and Korea) and 3 different states (Ohio, California, Georgia).
Well you’re certainly got this one wrong. By the way, the Mike Chen you love disagrees with you. Not sure why you thought the Atlanta video would make a statement. He was much more impressed with he Houston Chinese food. Houston’s Chinatown is an actual Chinatown. Atlanta’s is a singular development. Good for what it is but something completely different.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Well you’re certainly got this one wrong. By the way, the Mike Chen you love disagrees with you. Not sure why you thought the Atlanta video would make a statement. He was much more impressed with he Houston Chinese food. Houston’s Chinatown is an actual Chinatown. Atlanta’s is a singular development. Good for what it is but something completely different.
All one has to do is go to Yelp, type in Chinese, and make sure the search areas are in the right places to see the MASSIVE difference between Atlanta and Houston.

Ive spend a lot of time up and down the Buford Highway, in Johns Creek, Duluth, and the other suburbs. Yes, Atlanta does very well with Korean amenities and Ill gladly give them that. Its very underwhelming for Chinese anything.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
All one has to do is go to Yelp, type in Chinese, and make sure the search areas are in the right places to see the MASSIVE difference between Atlanta and Houston.

Ive spend a lot of time up and down the Buford Highway, in Johns Creek, Duluth, and the other suburbs. Yes, Atlanta does very well with Korean amenities and Ill gladly give them that. Its very underwhelming for Chinese anything.
Ironically Mike Chen owns a Korean restaurant in Houston.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:47 PM

128 posts, read 72,212 times
Quote:
Yeah overall Atlanta's Asian communities are less impressive than a lot of other metro areas. For its size it definitely has a decent representation of Asian communities, but it does not really compare to cities like New York, San Francisco, LA, or DC. In terms of Korean businesses the DC metro probably has a higher number of Korean businesses as well given its higher Korean population. However, I also believe Atlanta definitely could compete with Houston in regards to which has the most prominent Asian communites, even though I think Houston has the edge right now.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Yeah overall Atlanta's Asian communities are less impressive than a lot of other metro areas. For its size it definitely has a decent representation of Asian communities, but it does not really compare to cities like New York, San Francisco, LA, or DC. In terms of Korean businesses the DC metro probably has a higher number of Korean businesses as well given its higher Korean population. However, I also believe Atlanta definitely could compete with Houston in regards to which has the most prominent Asian communites, even though I think Houston has the edge right now.
Not in Chinese specifically. That one is by far ahead in Houston without there being a comparison. Same goes for Filipino and Vietnamese. Atlanta has a good lead in Korean but that’s basically it.

Dallas and Atlanta would be a more fair comparison, but Dallas definitely has the edge on that one.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Here’s the deal.

If were to define East Asia as Japan, Korea, and China only, ok. Houston is superior with Chinese and Taiwanese by a good margin but Atlanta is with Korean amenities as well.

If we count Southeast Asia, once again it’s not close. Houston by a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City