Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 10:38 AM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
you serious right now?

East Asia is the eastern region of Asia, which is defined in both geographical and ethnocultural terms. The modern states of East Asia include China, Japan, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, and Taiwan THe population of East Asia is 1.6 Bilion- 1.3 Billion of whom are Chinese.

And a Taiwanese immigrant is ltied for first in the Boston mayoral race. Be real for 5 minutes. You admit you have never been to Boston and dont know much about it and always always underestimate Bosotn in all of these polls-I've called you out on this at least 2 times. Now is the 3rd

How you don't see your own pattern is annoying, too say the least. The cocky tone is cringeworthy yet slightly amusing. Considering you pretend to want to know more but totally dont want to challenge your own line of thinking. Good day.
Noticing that you failed to read the OP, I’ll shorten it for you. Atleast Shruda read and went by criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
For sakes of this thread, we are including both northeast and Southeast Asia. Basically, the Himalayas as the dividing point. So Vietnam and the Philippines are included but not Nepal, India
You should take your own advice before criticizing other people’s cocky tone. I understand you get in your feelings when Boston doesn’t come first but oh well. That’s for you to deal with.

Speaking of this weird conspiracy that I’m rooting against Boston, I’ve had it first in some of these polls before. The only pattern we have is you and Shruda crying when Boston doesn’t come on top. Boston leads where it leads. It’s certainly not first here though. And definitely not ahead of Houston or Chicago. So keep crying because there will be instances where Boston isn’t the nations leader of a given topic

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 07-24-2021 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Is Cambodia a part of China now?
“ The Boston metro has far more Chinese residents than any of those cities; more even than Seattle by raw number at the least. It's also the second most Cambodian area in the country after LA. Fewer Vietnamese than the Texas cities (if not Chicago), but still a large and well-established enclave there too.”

then why did you single out China ? And then try to come slick “but our Vietnamese is also strong despite it being stronger in..” as if Houston and Chicago don’t also have strong Chinese communities and enclaves. I wonder why that one doesn’t matter to you. Oh wait…

Old 07-24-2021, 11:09 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Noticing that you failed to read the OP, I’ll shorten it for you. Atleast Shruda read and went by criteria.

You should take your own advice before criticizing other people’s cocky tone. I understand you get in your feelings when Boston doesn’t come first but oh well. That’s for you to deal with.

Speaking of this weird conspiracy that I’m rooting against Boston, I’ve had it first in some of these polls before. The only pattern we have is you and Shruda crying when Boston doesn’t come on top. Boston leads where it leads. It’s certainly not first here though. And definitely not ahead of Houston or Chicago. So keep crying because there will be instances where Boston isn’t the nations leader of a given topic
Whatever. It's your world.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:11 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
It’s not cocky to point out that one of the leading mayoral candidates is Taiwanese-American when “impact on the community” is one of your own criteria.

Quote:
“ The Boston metro has far more Chinese residents than any of those cities; more even than Seattle by raw number at the least. It's also the second most Cambodian area in the country after LA. Fewer Vietnamese than the Texas cities (if not Chicago), but still a large and well-established enclave there too.”

then why did you single out China ?
I singled out China because it’s the biggest source of East Asian immigrants to the US and there’s a laarge difference between the sizes of Boston’s Chinese community and those in the cities you ranked ahead of it. More specifically and for example, Boston’s MSA has 86,226 more Chinese people than Dallas’ despite the later having 2,488,317 more people!

Quote:
And then try to come slick “but our Vietnamese is also strong despite it being stronger in..” as if Houston and Chicago don’t also have strong Chinese communities and enclaves.
Houston’s Viet community is huge enough where Boston isn’t in the same ballpark, I’ll give you that. Though, Boston’s Viet enclave is very old and established (which is [again] one of your criteria). But Dallas isn’t so much further ahead especially when you consider the overall population difference. Chicago is not close to Boston with regards to either demographic, and I’d really like to hear your argument for putting it higher.

And why are you ignoring Cambodians? 13.5% of all people in Lowell, MA (3rd biggest city in Boston’s MSA after Boston and Cambridge) are Cambodian.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
It’s not cocky to point out that one of the leading mayoral candidates is Taiwanese-American when “impact on the community” is one of your own criteria.

You know yourself that’s not where the cockiness came from his post. It’s great to point out where Boston excels. Where it turns to cockiness is when you pretend other cities haven’t excelled themselves as well.

Quote:

I singled out China because it’s the biggest source of East Asian immigrants to the US and there’s a laarge difference between the sizes of Boston’s Chinese community and those in the cities you ranked ahead of it. More specifically and for example, Boston’s MSA has 86,226 more Chinese people than Dallas’ despite the later having 2,488,317 more people!
I understand this. And overall population matters. But as mentioned, so does diversity.

Quote:
Houston’s Viet community is huge enough where Boston isn’t in the same ballpark, I’ll give you that. Though, Boston’s Viet enclave is very old and established (which is [again] one of your criteria). But Dallas isn’t so much further ahead especially when you consider the overall population difference. Chicago is not close to Boston with regards to either demographic, and I’d really like to hear your argument for putting it higher.

Quote:
And why are you ignoring Cambodians? 13.5% of all people in Lowell, MA (3rd biggest city in Boston’s MSA after Boston and Cambridge) are Cambodian.
I’m not. Of course these give Boston points. But why are we ignoring the Philippines, Korea, Japan, etc? Houston and Dallas (especially Houston) have multiple times . Chicago even more so. And Houston’s small and new but emerging Filipinotown. Why ignore Koreans where Chicago and DFW easily outnumber Boston? Cambodia and China matter but so do all others you aren’t mentioning.

I can actually see the case of ranking Boston over Dallas. It’s debatable. I wouldn’t rank it over Houston or Chicago when looking at the entire picture and not just China and Cambodia.

Also, let me help you out. Boston also gets points over Dallas because Boston has much better enclaves. Dallas is far behind the n this compared to its population. This certainly gives Boston points over Dallas. But again not Houston and Chicago who have great Asian enclaves.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:43 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Good observation and that’s my observation as well.

LA has a larger population and more diverse mix of East Asians - Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, etc. SF feels more Asian than LA, but most of the East Asians are Chinese. Of course, there are large numbers of Koreans (Santa Clara), Vietnamese (San Jose), Filipino’s (Daly City & Union City), here in the Bay, but most heavily populated Asian Bay Area
cities (San Francisco, Fremont, Cupertino, Milpitas, Newark, Foster City, etc) are populated by Chinese.

Quote:
Also, explaining why I put LA over the Bay Area… SF Bay feels overall more Asian than LA, but it also feels a bit less diverse to me. The Chinese in SF Bay are a bit higher in proportion to the rest of the population compared to LA that feels very balanced.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I’m not. Of course these give Boston points. But why are we ignoring the Philippines, Korea, Japan, etc?
The Korean and Japanese numbers aren't different enough between at least these 4 cities to make them worth mentioning. Per this table the raw numbers are:

Japanese
Chicago - 16,579
Boston - 8,244
Dallas - 7,100
Houston - 6,210

Korean
Chicago - 51,320
Dallas - 30,769
Boston - 21,849
Houston - 16,242

By % of the MSA:

Japanese
Chicago - 0.174%
Boston - 0.171%
Dallas - 0.097%
Houston - 0.090%

Korean
Chicago - 0.540%
Boston - 0.452%
Dallas - 0.420%
Houston - 0.236%

Which is all to say that your really splitting hairs here by bringing up those ethnicities.

I'll half "touche" half "tsk tsk" as far as Filipinos go. On one hand, yes: that is the Asian demographic that the Boston area lacks representation in. On the other, the culture of the Philippines seems far enough removed from the other "East Asian" countries that I don't know if I like lumping them all together. But you make the rules.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:02 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
The phillipines as “east asia” is nuts. As is Cambodia and vietnam

Old 07-24-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Good observation and that’s my observation as well.

LA has a larger population and more diverse mix of East Asians - Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, etc. SF feels more Asian than LA, but most of the East Asians are Chinese. Of course, there are large numbers of Koreans (Santa Clara), Vietnamese (San Jose), Filipino’s (Daly City & Union City), here in the Bay, but most heavily populated Asian Bay Area
cities (San Francisco, Fremont, Cupertino, Milpitas, Newark, Foster City, etc) are populated by Chinese.
Correct. This is what I’ve noticed between those two

Old 07-24-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The phillipines as “east asia” is nuts. As is Cambodia and vietnam
I also didn't think any southeast Asian countries would in the scope of this thread when I first opened it up. Then after reading the OP, I was like "well I guess the mainland SE Asian countries are kind of right up against 'traditional' East Asia".

But I've been reading up a little bit over the last few minutes and was surprised to find that the languages of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand are more closely related to those of the Philippines than to those of China. Same family it seems. But religion-wise, the three mainland countries seem at odds with the Philippines in terms of Islam vs Buddhism. Ultimately this discussion doesn't matter much, but it makes for a fun weekend diversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City