Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 12:44 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Someone brought up, Honolulu but since then I haven’t heard it mentioned in this thread. In all Homesty, Honolulu is top 5 in the U.S, probably too 3. I don’t know how it would stack up against LA and SF. But pretty sure it has the largest Japanese population, One of the largest Filipino, and easily the highest proportion of mixed Asians in the U.S.
I'd say it's actually #1 because of the ubiquitous nature of Asian culture and its dominant force above all other cultures, as they're the majority. Honolulu is more Chinese than Boston or Seattle, and is 2% Korean and Viet each; more than most large cities. Take into account of the overwhelmingly high Japanese population that is uncharacteristic of any American city at 23%, and its robust Filipino population at 13%, it's undeniable.

Other cities listed in the US are more of a melting pot, many other cultures are represented; and if a city has a strong Hispanic or AA culture, they almost always outshine its Asian counterparts and become the dominant force and identity. (Houston, LA, Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, etc etc). As cities like SF and Seattle have looser Hispanic/AA culture compared to others, Asians have a bit more visibility. Then there's Honolulu, which has little to no Hispanic/AA influence, also a diminishing white influence to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 01:29 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
I'd say it's actually #1 because of the ubiquitous nature of Asian culture and its dominant force above all other cultures, as they're the majority. Honolulu is more Chinese than Boston or Seattle, and is 2% Korean and Viet each; more than most large cities. Take into account of the overwhelmingly high Japanese population that is uncharacteristic of any American city at 23%, and its robust Filipino population at 13%, it's undeniable.

Other cities listed in the US are more of a melting pot, many other cultures are represented; and if a city has a strong Hispanic or AA culture, they almost always outshine its Asian counterparts and become the dominant force and identity. (Houston, LA, Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, etc etc). As cities like SF and Seattle have looser Hispanic/AA culture compared to others, Asians have a bit more visibility. Then there's Honolulu, which has little to no Hispanic/AA influence, also a diminishing white influence to boot.
I agree. I didn’t add it because it wouldn’t be fair!

Old 07-25-2021, 02:34 PM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
For East Asia, specifically Korean, Taiwanese, and Chinese, Atlanta should rank highly because of the many Korean and Chinese amenities and restaurants/shops. Not that high for the Japanese though.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:37 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
For East Asia, specifically Korean, Taiwanese, and Chinese, Atlanta should rank highly because of the many Korean and Chinese amenities and restaurants/shops. Not that high for the Japanese though.
To be fair, Japanese amenities don’t rank very high in many cities outside of the West Coast. Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are specifically far behind in this regard in comparison to the other nations. Sad because some really big Japanese companies have set up in Houston and Dallas. I can’t see why Atlanta would rank any higher than where I put it though

Old 07-25-2021, 05:09 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle was be higher by metro or county per the 2018 ACS. San Diego by city-of.

SD metro was 12.0% vs. 14.0% for Seattle in the one-race category.

SD County was 12.0% Asian and King County 17.9%.

By city-of, SD was 16.9% vs. 15.5% for Seattle.
King County comparison doesn't add much value. SD County = San Diego metro.

Seattle metro has a larger population, both percentage and total. That's notable also because Seattle MSA has more people than San Diego. It's also worth noting that Asians are the largest minority in Seattle and 3rd largest in San Diego. Not sure if that's a huge difference in terms of impact, given the context of a white-majority and minority-majority environment.

I don't think Seattle has a more diverse "East Asian" population than San Diego as defined in this poll. San Diego's SE asian population is simply more prominent and diverse--both historically and based on current immigration patterns. Seattle has a large east asian population based on the traditional definition--but that isn't exactly diverse given there are really only 3 major ethnicities (Japanese, Korean, Chinese). SE Asia includes Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese, Hmong, Burmese, Malay, Indonesian, Cambodian, and Laotian.

In summary, here's a good comparison of Seattle vs. San Diego regions in terms of different definitions of "Asian":
- East Asia (Japan, Korea, China): Seattle, by a sizeable margin
- East + SE Asia: San Diego, by small very debatable amount [definition for this thread]
- East, SE, South Asia: Seattle by a moderate amount (noting SD's large Afghani population)
- East, SE, South, Central, West: San Diego by a sizeable margin

Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 PM

117 posts, read 80,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
King County comparison doesn't add much value. SD County = San Diego metro.

Seattle metro has a larger population, both percentage and total. That's notable also because Seattle MSA has more people than San Diego. It's also worth noting that Asians are the largest minority in Seattle and 3rd largest in San Diego. Not sure if that's a huge difference in terms of impact, given the context of a white-majority and minority-majority environment.

I don't think Seattle has a more diverse "East Asian" population than San Diego as defined in this poll. San Diego's SE asian population is simply more prominent and diverse--both historically and based on current immigration patterns. Seattle has a large east asian population based on the traditional definition--but that isn't exactly diverse given there are really only 3 major ethnicities (Japanese, Korean, Chinese). SE Asia includes Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese, Hmong, Burmese, Malay, Indonesian, Cambodian, and Laotian.

In summary, here's a good comparison of Seattle vs. San Diego regions in terms of different definitions of "Asian":
- East Asia (Japan, Korea, China): Seattle, by a sizeable margin
- East + SE Asia: San Diego, by small very debatable amount [definition for this thread]
- East, SE, South Asia: Seattle by a moderate amount (noting SD's large Afghani population)
- East, SE, South, Central, West: San Diego by a sizeable margin
Asians are the third largest minority in San Diego? What’s the second then?

I will say - Seattle metro has a slightly larger Black population than San Diego (7% vs 5%) but San Diego has a much larger Hispanic population (31% vs 10%) so the Asian population in Seattle stands out a little more.

Also, how do Seattle and San Diego’s Vietnamese and Filipino population compare? I think they’re pretty similar.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:04 AM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Though I wouldn’t consider it the center of Asian-American culture, I think it should be noted that St. Paul has the highest Asian-American percentage of any major city outside of California and Jersey City.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Why is DC so high? Looks good otherwise
The DC metro area actually has the 4th or 5th largest total Asian population in the US...Among East Asia only I'd expect it to be at least top 5/6 also. There's even noticeable Vietnamese or Filipino (if they're being counted) presence in the Eastern part of the metro like Prince George's County, although NOVA, Mont Co., Howard make up the bulk of it.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-26-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 03:07 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Korean yes. The others no. Atlanta should rank quite low for Chinese and Taiwanese amenities based on its size relative to others.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:38 PM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Korean yes. The others no. Atlanta should rank quite low for Chinese and Taiwanese amenities based on its size relative to others.
Why? There are huge Chinese markets, the biggest Great Wall Market in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGW5_74Z6A

Starting at 2:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOgScJlVYo?t=133

Hong Kong Supermarket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53KTPZX6a0w

While the Chinese markets and restaurants in Duluth are expanding, there are numerous Chinese options in Doraville and Chamblee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l42gvtQq6mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWhpuiMw38o

Also all along Buford Highway are many Chinese options (along with Vietnamese, Mexican, and others). The Chinese cafe Sweet Hut & Bakery started in Atlanta with several locations and recently opened in Plano, Texas.

Last edited by ShenardL; 07-27-2021 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City