Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 07:32 PM

9,852 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

How would you rank the East Asian meccas of the USA? For sakes of this thread, we are including both northeast and Southeast Asia. Basically, the Himalayas as the dividing point. So Vietnam and the Philippines are included but not Nepal, India, etc.

Criteria:

1. High population.
2. Diversity. High population matters but it should also be diverse and have some of different nationalities.
3. Amenities. Is there a decent Chinatown/Viet town/Koreatoen etc? How good is the food? Asian specific nightlife spots? Perhaps one of the Asia society centers in America?
4. Well integrated and made its mark in the community?

My take:

LA
SF
NYC
Seattle
DC
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston
Atlanta
Philly

I’m honestly struggling to decide where San Diego and Vegas goes in this list.

I personally wanted to bump seattle down a bit because the amenities seem to come up short compared to its population, but you can’t argue with their population and how big of a mark they have
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 07:34 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Yeah, in places like Seattle, Asians are such a big presence that you don't even think about the person being Asian, if that makes sense.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:39 PM

Also, explaining why I put LA over the Bay Area… SF Bay feels overall more Asian than LA, but it also feels a bit less diverse to me. The Chinese in SF Bay are a bit higher in proportion to the rest of the population compared to LA that feels very balanced.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, in places like Seattle, Asians are such a big presence that you don't even think about the person being Asian, if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. There's enough of them that you don't notice what race they are, you just see them as a person.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Also, explaining why I put LA over the Bay Area… SF Bay feels overall more Asian than LA, but it also feels a bit less diverse to me. The Chinese in SF Bay are a bit higher in proportion to the rest of the population compared to LA that feels very balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
“So many Asians that it doesn’t even feel Asian anymore” lol!

But yes this is also how I feel! In contrast, Houston and LA, etc are heavily big on other ethnicities so they differentiate themselves more.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:45 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Why is DC so high? Looks good otherwise

Old 07-23-2021, 08:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Quote:
How would you rank the East Asian meccas of the USA? For sakes of this thread, we are including both northeast and Southeast Asia. Basically, the Himalayas as the dividing point. So Vietnam and the Philippines are included but not Nepal, India, etc.

Criteria:

1. High population.
2. Diversity. High population matters but it should also be diverse and have some of different nationalities.
3. Amenities. Is there a decent Chinatown/Viet town/Koreatoen etc? How good is the food? Asian specific nightlife spots? Perhaps one of the Asia society centers in America?

My take:

LA
SF
NYC
Seattle
DC
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston
Atlanta
Philly

I personally wanted to bump seattle down a bit because the amenities seem to come up short compared to its population, but you can’t argue with their population and how big of a mark they have
San Diego probably goes just about where New York is. The mix is different though. SD has a very large Filipino community, whereas Chinese are the predominant East Asian ethnicity in NYC.

New York: Asian Americans make up 11.8% of New York City's population. According to the survey, there were 976,807 Asian Americans residing in New York City. Of 976,807 Asian Americans, 445,145 were of Chinese descent, representing 5.4% of the city's population. In addition, there were 226,888 Indian Americans residing in the city, representing 2.7% of the population. Approximately 103,660 people identified themselves as "Other Asian", a category that includes people of Cambodian, Laotian, Hmong, and Pakistani descent. Individuals in this category represent 1.2% of the city's population. There were 88,162 Korean Americans residing in the city, representing 1.1% of the population. Other Asian American groups include those of Filipino (68,826, 0.8%), Japanese (26,096, 0.3%), and Vietnamese (18,030, 0.2%) descent.

San Diego: 11% Asian (4.7% Filipino, 1.6% Vietnamese, 1.4% Chinese, 0.8% Indian, 0.7% Korean, 0.6% Japanese, 0.2% Laotian, 0.2% Cambodian, 0.2% Thai, 0.5% Other Asian),

These are 2010 numbers but likely haven't changed dramatically.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:22 PM

219 posts, read 226,134 times
Quote:

Criteria:

1. High population.

My take:

LA
SF
NYC
Seattle
DC
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Boston
Atlanta
Philly

Solid list, but I’d put Houston over DC.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:49 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Do you use diversity as a criteria when you make a similar list for black/Hispanic meccas? If not why?

While LA does have a more balanced mix of Asians I feel they're less well integrated. In SF you find Asians in all walks of life, like parking garage attendant or driving the garbage truck, and I think most of them speak without an accent, but in LA they are more white collar and there are more new immigrants who aren't necessarily making their mark in the social fabric. The Americanized Asians are more dominant in San Gabriel valley, but parts of the Chinese majority area feel more like Hong Kong than a North American Chinatown.

In Houston and maybe other places the traditional Asiatown areas are being taken over by new immigrants. You can tell by the replacement of Chinese bakeries and Cantonese style restaurants with restaurants that specialize in skewered meat and spicy food.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Do you use diversity as a criteria when you make a similar list for black/Hispanic meccas? If not why?

While LA does have a more balanced mix of Asians I feel they're less well integrated. In SF you find Asians in all walks of life, like parking garage attendant or driving the garbage truck, and I think most of them speak without an accent, but in LA they are more white collar and there are more new immigrants who aren't necessarily making their mark in the social fabric. The Americanized Asians are more dominant in San Gabriel valley, but parts of the Chinese majority area feel more like Hong Kong than a North American Chinatown.

In Houston and maybe other places the traditional Asiatown areas are being taken over by new immigrants. You can tell by the replacement of Chinese bakeries and Cantonese style restaurants with restaurants that specialize in skewered meat and spicy food.
For Hispanic, absolutely. Black, no unless we are asking specifically African or Caribbean etc. oh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City