Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 07:18 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Boston to Cambridge is way way way more
Seamless than Seattle to Bellevue. No comparison whatsoever. Ridiculous argument attempting to equate the proximity of both.
There are direct bus lines, bike paths, and soon to open subway line between downtown Bellevue and downtown Seattle. Bellevue and Seattle are at least in the same administrative county. Is Cambridge in the same county as Boston? No. Yeah Lake Washington is wider and deeper than the Charles River. That’s a circumstance of geography. They are still adjacent cities with same transit system, same courts, same urban growth boundary, same health departments, same business licensing, same taxes and property tax assessment system and same King County administrative government. Sounds much more “seamless” than Cambridge and Boston.

Last edited by Guineas; 08-03-2021 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
This pissing match is one of the more juvenile on here.
Just add the sister city for both areas and be done with it.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
There are direct bus lines, bike paths, and soon to open subway line between downtown Bellevue and downtown Seattle. Bellevue and Seattle are at least in the same administrative county. Is Cambridge in the same county as Boston? No. Yeah Lake Washington is wider and deeper than the Charles River. That’s a circumstance of geography. They are still adjacent cities with same transit system, same courts, same urban growth boundary, same health departments, same business licensing, same taxes and property tax assessment system and same King County administrative government. Sounds much more “seamless” than Cambridge and Boston.
Are you being serious? Have you been to Cambridge or Boston before? Bellevue is 10 miles from downtown Seattle. There is no comparison between that and Cambridge/Boston.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:38 PM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
it kinda doesn't make sense to me to even think of Cambridge as separate from Boston lol I mean technically Cambridge is a distinct city, but seriously crossing one of the bridges is just 5min or less by walking lol not to mention that the busy parts are completely integrated except the river...

Old 08-03-2021, 10:47 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Please stop.. you are very wrong here.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:29 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It is extremely poly centric/nodal... just like NYC, Atlanta & Houston. I never said that it's skyline is small because of that.

That said, DT Houston has two supertalls as well, so what's your point? That doesn't mean eithers primary downtowns clusters are anywhere as built up as the cities I've mentioned. Seattle, Philly, Boston & SF tight street grids and zoning which only allow high-rise development in and around their downtowns is what allows them to have these ridiculous numbers despite all being less than half 1/2 the size of LA. LA is not inhibited by those constraints which is why you see high-rises popping all over the city, not just in a 1 or 2 square mile box.

Oh fun fact... I just did the math. LA proper currently "only" has 236 buildings over +200', all of which are not centered around DT. Adding Hollywood & Long Beach would put it just shy of 300.

I rest my case
Houston has one building over 1000 feet.

If we go by the universal definition of skyscraper, a building 492 feet or taller, then yes, nearly all of the skyscrapers in Los Angeles city are within a few mile radius downtown. Hollywood doesn't even have a 300 foot structure, so high rises in general around the city are of course there, but not really as prominent as you imply. You included Long Beach for some reason, another city over 20 miles away.

So going by actual skyscrapers, Los Angeles has considerably more in a smaller area than Philadelphia, Boston, or Seattle and is ahead of San Francisco (31 minus two in Century City and one in the Valley, vs 27 in San Francisco).

Old 08-04-2021, 04:39 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
This pissing match is one of the more juvenile on here.
Just add the sister city for both areas and be done with it.
Especially since they’re being compared against really large, multi-nodal cities like Houston I guess this makes sense. Still, Bellevue to Seattle (downtown to downtown) seems to be about a 10mi drive. In Boston you can get to Lynn, Quincy, and Waltham in roughly that distance; there are a smattering of 200ft buildings in that area that aren’t in Cambridge or Boston. Though there may only be 1 300ft (Encore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If we go by the universal definition of skyscraper, a building 492 feet or taller, then yes, nearly all of the skyscrapers in Los Angeles city are within a few mile radius downtown.

So going by actual skyscrapers, Los Angeles has considerably more in a smaller area than Philadelphia, Boston, or Seattle and is ahead of San Francisco (31 minus two in Century City and one in the Valley, vs 27 in San Francisco).
Boston has 26 using that definition. They’re all located in the same stretch though I guess I don’t really know how the size of central Boston compares to DT LA.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 08-04-2021 at 04:47 AM..

Old 08-04-2021, 07:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Especially since they’re being compared against really large, multi-nodal cities like Houston I guess this makes sense. Still, Bellevue to Seattle (downtown to downtown) seems to be about a 10mi drive.
I agree. If we are including multi-nodal cores for some, we might include it for others. But 10 miles does seem a bit far.

Even in Houston The Medical center is just 2 Miles away from the downtown with Midtown in between. Upper Kirby is 3 Miles from Downtown with Montrose between.
Even Uptown is 5 Miles away with Greenway Plaza, Upper Kirby, Montrose, etc between.

So it's still not an apples to apples comparison. Houston may have multiple nodes but it's still in that inner core. Nothing like 10 miles. And going from TMC to Downtown Houston on the train you still pass towers along the way.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I wonder how the building boom in Ft Worth is doing. It had a pretty impressive skyline when the population was less than 500,000. Now Ft Worth is closing in on a million and soon to pass Dallas.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:38 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I wonder how the building boom in Ft Worth is doing. It had a pretty impressive skyline when the population was less than 500,000. Now Ft Worth is closing in on a million and soon to pass Dallas.
That FW growth is taking place in far out land that extends into exurbia that is within the city limits of FW. There’s been some smaller scale development downtown with a few high rises, but most new development in the core has been low to mid rise development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City