Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 09:00 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
San Antonio, the city proper, has over 1.5 million residents and is the 7th largest (i.e. most populous) city in the United States. If that isn't a big city, what is?
The City of San Antonio is a big governmental unit. But the city defined by something like UA or metro is way down the list. They simply included a large percentage of the UA or metro population inside the core governmental unit.

In any case, the population within that governmental unit isn't relevant to its skyline. Does an employer only hire people inside the invisible line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 12:03 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
I saw this photo on Reddit: Austin 2021 vs. 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...m_source=share

Old 08-12-2021, 01:15 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
Other than skyline San Antonio runs circles around Austin which is San Antonio's largest suburb.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:59 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I saw this photo on Reddit: Austin 2021 vs. 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...m_source=share
That is actually crazy!

Old 08-12-2021, 07:16 AM

570 posts, read 559,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Other than skyline San Antonio runs circles around Austin which is San Antonio's largest suburb.
Whatevs, but it does feel like both areas are becoming one.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:20 AM

570 posts, read 559,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
It really seems small. Hate to say it, but cities like Grand Rapids and Madison, a portion of its size, actually seem larger. San Antonio feels like a small, maybe mid-sized city, at least in the urban area.
It's a fact that downtown SA does feel smaller for a city it's size, but explore the metro area and it does feel like an area of nearly 3 million people.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:37 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
San Antonio is closing in on the top 20 largest urbanized areas as well moving up in the metro rankings. S.A. should surpass St. Louis, and Baltimore within the next few years but probably always trail Denver.

You can't say a city is not large merely based on the amount of tall buildings. Its safe to say that there are countless cities worldwide that are major urban centers that don't have a large inventory of skyscrapers. Two come to mind, D.C. and Rome. One cannot discount these cities because the lack of significant amount of skyscrapers. These cities excel in other categories.

If you have read my previous posts on this topic, San Antonio's downtown area is not filled with super talls, but it has great density and infill more so than cities like Austin. Austin has more skyscrapers and is building more than several considerably larger cities.

San Antonio boomed before Austin. The city boomed during the 70s, 80's, 90's and most of it's high rise office buildings, residential towers were built just outside downtown or out in the suburbs when downtowns were not the focus at least for S.A.

Downtown S.A. is a total different animal in comparison with newer cities like the ones listed above, much more stipulations as far as what can be built in or around all the historical building stock. Such as view sheds in close proximity to key historical landmarks. San Antonio's Historic and Design and Review Commission (HDRC)has blocked the development of Skyscrapers or toned down what can be built as far as height, design etc.

Furthermore, San Antonio has more business corridors all over the city and high rise buildings permeate the landscape unlike many cities that have most all their notable high rise buildings in one district.

Downtown S.A. is just now gaining momentum with many new Skycrapers/high rises u/c or in the pipeline.

Overall, San Antonio has more buildings over 10 floors than cities like Austin, Charlotte and Nashville which does make it feel and look like a bigger city outside the core. San Antonio has over 200 buildings that are 10 floors plus and the other cities have in the low 100 to 140 range.

This gives San Antonio a more heavily urbanized feel and built up environment than the cities listed above plus the urbanized population is larger as well than said cities. I feel buildings of this size do add to infill and density and are also impressive as a lofty skyscraper. I wish S.A. had more, but it doesn't seem to be in a super tall building building frenzy or race as the other cities. Hopefully soon San Antonio will once again build super talls like the Tower of the Americas or Tower Life building that were considered record breaking for their height back in those days.

BTW, I'm teasing about the 'suburb' comment but these discussions about S.A's lackluster amount of skyscrapers and that it looks much smaller relative to it's population has become pointless whether S.A. is a big city or not. Imo, S.A. can be seen as a juggernaut in many regards.

Random photo from the internet of a 10 story building. I feel buildings of this size do add to infill and density and are also impressive as a lofty skyscraper.

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/...s-may-see.html

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 08-12-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-12-2021, 08:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times
That’s awesome about San Antonio I’ve been there it’s a great place. To me every city has its greatness and the worst thing to do is be compared to another city. Kind of like people when you start comparing yourself to others….not good! Awesome post!

Old 08-12-2021, 08:50 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
LOL, another Texan that hates Austin

Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
I wouldn't consider a metro over 2M small.
That's a midsized city imo.

I would consider metros below 700k small.

SA is almost a large city.
I think the only things holding it back from being major is the competition within the state.

For example with Hubs for AA, United and SW so close, SA doesn't need a hub but people can use that to say it's not major because it doesn't have a major hub.

SA is more like DFW than Austin economically.
It is more of a diverse economy than specialized like Austin and Houston. SA is attracting a range of jobs but not a concentration of say Tech, or Energy that is often showcased in a cluster of towers.

I will say that SA does have some aspects of small town feel. As a resident I found the people to be very friendly and close nit which made it feel more like I was somewhere smaller. SA also had less transient inner neighborhoods than the other Texas cities but since I lived there that has been changing so I guess the feel will be changing too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City