Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2022, 11:41 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The Seattle area has exactly 55 planned/underway if my count is right. (Edit, I forgot a five-tower TOD that was just proposed.)

I don't know what "approved" means. There are multiple approvals needed for any project and this term gets tossed around without much consistency. Some say it refers to land use permits, not building permits, but those are important too.
Per the reference, it means "the city has approved the site plan". Proposed means "A project has been announced and/or project documents/permits have been filed with the city", per 'The ATX' legend for his table.

I feel like Seattle will always have a skyscraper boom. It is my 3rd favorite skyline in the US behind NYC and Chicago. Just such an iconic skyline and setting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 12:00 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I mean in general. Land use permitting processes are massively different between municipalities in my own market, let alone in different states.

Further, city approval for a land use permit (or a site plan, which might refer to something similar?) doesn't necessarily mean actually obtaining the permit. In my area, the real juncture is a couple weeks after the approval when the appeal period ends, followed by various t-crossings and i-dottings.

Beyond all of that, "approved" is misleading. It makes it sound like the developer can start building.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:10 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Beyond all of that, "approved" is misleading. It makes it sound like the developer can start building.
...that is what it means? Basically, the paperwork is taken care of the building can be constructed legally. Beyond that, it's a matter of securing funding and the logistics of actually erecting the building.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:21 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcactus View Post
Crazy Austin now has the tallest building in Texas. It's building way more than Houston and Dallas, downtown atleast. I wonder why Austin is so coveted meanwhile it seems like Houston and Dallas are seen as...more boring cities people move to for jobs and low COL meanwhile people move to Austin for the lifestyle and nature.
Houston and Dallas are growing faster in raw numbers and are also winning more jobs because their overall size.

Houston has 6 downtowns and is building more than Austin, but Austin is on a tear like most areas have not seen. It is really impressive.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:33 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
...that is what it means? Basically, the paperwork is taken care of the building can be constructed legally. Beyond that, it's a matter of securing funding and the logistics of actually erecting the building.
Then you mean building permit, not just land use permit or equivalent.

This means very few projects should be called "approved" without having started construction or at least major post-demo site prep. Building permits can come the day before construction begins, and are usually timed at least within a few weeks of the intended start.

Since a lot of people have long lists of "approved" projects, I'll assume they don't mean building permits.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:47 PM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Crazy Austin now has the tallest building in Texas. It's building way more than Houston and Dallas, downtown atleast. I wonder why Austin is so coveted meanwhile it seems like Houston and Dallas are seen as...more boring cities people move to for jobs and low COL meanwhile people move to Austin for the lifestyle and nature.
Austin is in a phase where Dallas Houston were some 20 years ago. Both are already built out but still growing.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Austin is in a phase where Dallas Houston were some 20 years ago. Both are already built out but still growing.
Dallas and Houston are far from built out.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:59 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Austin doesn’t have the tallest building in Texas (yet). There’s one that’s planned to exceed the JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston (current tallest) but it hasn’t broke ground yet.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:23 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Then you mean building permit, not just land use permit or equivalent.

This means very few projects should be called "approved" without having started construction or at least major post-demo site prep. Building permits can come the day before construction begins, and are usually timed at least within a few weeks of the intended start.

Since a lot of people have long lists of "approved" projects, I'll assume they don't mean building permits.
I guess I don't understand the consternation? The semantics are fairly straightforward: the proposal isn't just an idea a developer came up with, it's actually been generally reviewed and approved by the necessary government bodies. Whether literally ever I is dotted and every t is crossed seems besides the point.

In Austin in particular, approved would mean we are passed things like FAR, "density bonuses", "capital view corridors", "great streets", etc. Undoubtedly other cities have their own sets of regulations.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
143 in Atlanta seems way off. Skyscraperpage alone counts only 87.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City