Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2022, 05:16 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I guess I don't understand the consternation? The semantics are fairly straightforward: the proposal isn't just an idea a developer came up with, it's actually been generally reviewed and approved by the necessary government bodies. Whether literally ever I is dotted and every t is crossed seems besides the point.

In Austin in particular, approved would mean we are passed things like FAR, "density bonuses", "capital view corridors", "great streets", etc. Undoubtedly other cities have their own sets of regulations.
If you mean "yes, we'll be allowed to build something like this," then sure, once land-use permission is in hand, that's a key step...but it's not necessarily a sign that construction can follow anytime soon.

The hurdles past land use permit can be pretty significant, not "dotting every I." They might still need to do most of the design work, the project cost might be pretty vague, and all sorts of surprises can happen in the building permitting process based on a billion interpretations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 05:38 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If you mean "yes, we'll be allowed to build something like this," then sure, once land-use permission is in hand, that's a key step...but it's not necessarily a sign that construction can follow anytime soon.

The hurdles past land use permit can be pretty significant, not "dotting every I." They might still need to do most of the design work, the project cost might be pretty vague, and all sorts of surprises can happen in the building permitting process based on a billion interpretations.
I guess I'm missing where anyone implied that an "approved" building meant that construction was imminent or guaranteed to happen. Even an under-construction project can be aborted halfway through.

The link above was specific to Austin, which has some specific challenging regulatory hurdles that every project needs to get through.

Last edited by whereiend; 03-29-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-29-2022, 05:53 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I'm not talking about Austin.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
143 in Atlanta seems way off. Skyscraperpage alone counts only 87.

I was kind of surprised to see the ATL that high too. I figured it would have been more in the Philly/Dallas/Seattle range. Which again, I kind of thought Dallas and Houston would have been closer too.

Frankly, I wish whoever made that video just included a spreadsheet in the comments. I mean it isn't THAT many buildings to list and he already supposedly compiled the lists.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
The Youtube videos of cities with buildings over 200 ft and 300 ft has Atlanta's numbers jacked way up. It has had a good amount of growth, but not THAT much.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Dallas and Houston are far from built out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
143 in Atlanta seems way off. Skyscraperpage alone counts only 87.
The video states Metro Area.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:41 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Going by metro is going throws the numbers off a tad

Baltimore has 31 buildings over +300' (Towson, MD has 2)

Seatle has 90 buildings over +300' (Bellevue has 13).

Tampa-St. Petersburg, MSP, SF/Oakland & Dallas-Fort Worth are dual metro's so those numbes account for both primary cities, so take them with a grain of salt.

Miami isn't catching Chicago in a apples vs. apples comparo either as all of Chicago skyscrapers are located in a ~5 sq. mi city core, not spread around 100's of square miles of metro.
Right, cities with smaller footprints like Miami and Boston don’t get to include their tall buildings in bordering communities. St. Louis is another example. There are at least 20 completed buildings over 300’ in St. Louis IF you count neighboring Clayton and Richmond Heights. Using city-only data favors those cities who’ve grown by aggressively extending their borders. Cities like Washington, St. Louis and Baltimore are unable to do this.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:18 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The Youtube videos of cities with buildings over 200 ft and 300 ft has Atlanta's numbers jacked way up. It has had a good amount of growth, but not THAT much.
If you go off a +200' metric these rankings flip flop really quick.

San Antonio, St. Louis, Baltimore & Pittsburgh gap Charlotte & Nashville hard and get within whispers of Detroit.

Vegas falls way back.

Austin gets close to tripple digits

Boston & Philly put a lot of distance between themselves and Seattle.

Last edited by Joakim3; 03-29-2022 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 11:16 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
This is the skyline of Rainey St after the batch of buildings being started in 2022 are complete:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheATX1/s...green-light%2F

Compared to the street in 2009.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:26 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
This is the skyline of Rainey St after the batch of buildings being started in 2022 are complete:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheATX1/s...green-light%2F

Compared to the street in 2009.
Those are some really nice buildings! Love the aesthetic. Austin will have a 2nd downtown in that area, by 2025/26.

Part of me likes Rainey Street before though. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City