Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 08:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How many units are under construction in Austin? How many buildings are under construction? Anybody have the data?
Here's what I've found for "multifamily" units...Haven't found anything specific enough on total buildings, or those 300 ft+. Oh yea, and this is by metro, so still not only comparing the cities.

https://www.construction.com/news/co...irst-half-2022
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 09:20 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I find it a bit amusing when people make assertions like that, just a bit of context:

Total high rise and skyscrapers combined, minimum 12 floors:

Austin- 312 in 319 sq mi
San Antonio- 122 in 498 sq mi

DC and bordering Arlington:

Washington DC- 510 in 61 sq mi
Arlington, VA- 299 in 28 sq mi

Combined 809 high rises, and/or at least 300 ft buildings in 89 sq miles, and that's about 1/3rd of the land mass of the DC beltway. There's not really a comparison here.
Austin has very few high rises that are outside of downtown/campus, so I'm not sure what the point of putting "319 sq mi" is...

Probably 95% of those are within 4 square miles or so.

Last edited by whereiend; 08-24-2022 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 10:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin has very few high rises that are outside of downtown/campus, so I'm not sure what the point of putting "319 sq mi" is...

Probably 95% of those are within 4 square miles or so.
Well the same would apply for DC and Arlington, but point taken. Austin isn't a nodal city, but the inner core/downtown boom has been an obvious marvel the last decade plus.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well the same would apply for DC and Arlington, but point taken. Austin isn't a nodal city, but the inner core/downtown boom has been an obvious marvel last decade plus.
DC/Arlington is obviously much larger and more urban than Austin at the street level but it doesn't really have any skyscrapers, which is what this thread is about.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
How many units are under construction in Austin? How many buildings are under construction? Anybody have the data?
https://www.census.gov/construction/bps/msamonthly.html

Year to date (through July) Greater Austin has permitted ~15k multifamily units which is 3rd after NYC and DFW. 30k housing units overall which is 5th after DFW, Houston, NYC, and Phoenix. DC-Arlington-Alexandria has permitted 10k multifamily and 18k overall.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:15 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
https://www.census.gov/construction/bps/msamonthly.html

Year to date (through July) Greater Austin has permitted ~15k multifamily units which is 3rd after NYC and DFW. 30k housing units overall which is 5th after DFW, Houston, NYC, and Phoenix. DC-Arlington-Alexandria has permitted 10k multifamily and 18k overall.

DC proper has over 18,000+ units under construction right now in 61 sq. miles.

D.C.-Area Apartment Pipeline Up 66%, May Slow Rent Growth

The number of new starts may soon surpass pre-pandemic levels. There are 41,443 units likely to deliver marketwide over the next three years, Delta found in its quarterly study. If the number of all planned and under-construction market-rate apartment units holds, 2022 would have the largest pipeline in over a decade.

Rich said a combination of factors, including the rapid growth in office-to-residential conversions and groundbreakings on large-scale projects, have led to that huge pipeline, which is largest in D.C. proper.

"With the elevated office vacancy rate that we have in downtown, we expect that there'll be more conversions to come for multifamily," Rich said. "That trend seems to be accelerating."

Looking further out, the District's 36-month pipeline contains more than 18,000 units, higher than both Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland and 4,000 units above the District's own pipeline two years ago.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
DC proper has over 18,000+ units under construction right now in 61 sq. miles.

D.C.-Area Apartment Pipeline Up 66%, May Slow Rent Growth

The number of new starts may soon surpass pre-pandemic levels. There are 41,443 units likely to deliver marketwide over the next three years, Delta found in its quarterly study. If the number of all planned and under-construction market-rate apartment units holds, 2022 would have the largest pipeline in over a decade.

Rich said a combination of factors, including the rapid growth in office-to-residential conversions and groundbreakings on large-scale projects, have led to that huge pipeline, which is largest in D.C. proper.

"With the elevated office vacancy rate that we have in downtown, we expect that there'll be more conversions to come for multifamily," Rich said. "That trend seems to be accelerating."

Looking further out, the District's 36-month pipeline contains more than 18,000 units, higher than both Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland and 4,000 units above the District's own pipeline two years ago.

In any case, Austin is certainly building 1.5-2x as many apartments as DC overall as it's been doing this for a number of years now. At 300' (the thread) Austin has like ~20 >300' buildings under construction right now, while the state of Virginia has built 35 such buildings in 100 years.

"high rise" I'm not sure about, as most Austin apartment buildings are 5+1s, and there are almost no places zoned such that one can build a 12-13 story building. So I would expect that DC is building more in that range, as that's kind of DC's sweet spot in general. There are only three places that you can build high rises in Austin right now: Downtown, West Campus, and North Burnet/The Domain. Even the 5+1s can only be built on major arteries unfortunately.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:10 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:

In any case, Austin is certainly building 1.5-2x as many apartments as DC overall as it's been doing this for a number of years now. At 300' (the thread) Austin has like ~20 >300' buildings under construction right now, while the state of Virginia has built 35 such buildings in 100 years.

"high rise" I'm not sure about, as most Austin apartment buildings are 5+1s, and there are almost no places zoned such that one can build a 12-13 story building. So I would expect that DC is building more in that range, as that's kind of DC's sweet spot in general. There are only three places that you can build high rises in Austin right now: Downtown, West Campus, and North Burnet/The Domain. Even the 5+1s can only be built on major arteries unfortunately.
You bring up an interesting point that I often point out when people complain about DC’s height limit. I can almost guarantee if DC lacked height limits, it would be less urban than it is right now and certainly less urban than it will be in the future based on the cities long term pipeline.

DC may not have buildings taller than 15 stories, but DC is by far built taller over a much larger area than almost all cities except NYC and maybe Chicago because of height limits and zoning. To grow, DC has to build much taller very far from the center of the city. The result is high-rises for miles upon miles and growing. People need to ask themselves, would you rather a small downtown only 1 mile by 1 mile or an urban core that is 5 miles by 5 miles with many buildings ranging from 9-15 stories?

It’s a trade off, but it creates an extremely vibrant and urban city over a much longer distance and growing.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:57 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
This isn't a winning argument man. Time to abandon ship.
The 150 buildings for Austin that I counted on Emporis is for buildings starting at 9-10 floors and above. I just noticed I left that out on my last post.

Anyhow, like I said, I question the 300 plus completed buildings 12 floors and above because they are not all listed by name on Emporis. I can attest to this because I specifically counted each and every listed structure for San Antonio and Austin to see which city has more high rises overall 9-10 floors and above. I included 9 story buildings as well because they are some 9 floor buildings that are taller than some 10 floor structures and decided that would be a good starting point.

Again, San Antonio has more according to Emporis if you look at the list and each page of building names. The buildings are from tallest to shortest and San Antonio's has considerably more midrise and high rises than Austin but definitely less over 300ft. If Austin does have over 300 plus buildings above 12 floors they are not listed by name on Emporis or Wikipedia.

Another indicator that S.A. has more is merely looking at the metro total inventory square footage of office space. S.A. has more office space inventory as well as across all other commercial sectors by a significant amount.

I could not find Austin's total multifamily units for the entire metro but I would assume it is less than San Antonio's citywide/metro total but obviously has more residential component in the CBD.

Austin for sure has far more skyscrapers but less infill of the smaller scale buildings in the urban core and citywide total. San Antonio is more urbanized and dense within each cities respective Urbanized Area both covering about 500 sq. mi according to census bureau. San Antonio having upward of 2.1 million versus 1.7 million for Austin. More people equates to more glass, steel and stone so to speak.

My arguement simply suggests that S.A. has more high rise building stock overall although in the form of smaller scale buildings and the total office space inventory reflects that notion.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 08-25-2022 at 01:21 AM..

Old 08-25-2022, 08:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
SA has its charms but it's not going to win skyscraper arguments. It's a losing case trying to argue for anything under 12 floors. And using Emporis is not going to help things much. The data is just not comprehensive (especially under 12 floors)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City