Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 03:24 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

^ Can we please move on from this discussion...

Back on topic question... which cities (outside of NYC) have the most 300'+ buildings U/C?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 03:26 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
It's a third the size, with a similar-sized core.

On the main topic, not Seattle. We've been completing more towers than we've started in the past year-plus.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:29 PM

441 posts, read 228,436 times
^should be chicago, but like most things pertaining to that city, its becoming a has-been city.

I'd say Miami or Austin. or Seattle.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:34 PM

178 posts, read 175,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
^should be chicago, but like most things pertaining to that city, its becoming a has-been city.

I'd say Miami or Austin. or Seattle.
what's your issue with Chicago geez the hate is so obvious btw Chicago has multiple mega developments on the way, once completed, each will resemble small cities

Old 01-01-2024, 03:38 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Back on topic question... which cities (outside of NYC) have the most 300'+ buildings U/C?
Repped. I’m done. Apologies if I’ve gone off the rails.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:38 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

It's really hard to have accurate info on this unless you subscribe to some kind of pay site.

It's probably New York City (13). People don't want to hear that answer because it doesn't supply the "up and coming" narrative, but I'd be surprised if anyone has more.

Edit-Miami 18.

Last edited by Losfrisco; 01-01-2024 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-01-2024, 03:43 PM

441 posts, read 228,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
what's your issue with Chicago geez the hate is so obvious btw Chicago has multiple mega developments on the way, once completed, each will resemble small cities

Chicago only has 8 developments above 300' under construction which is terrible for a city its size. ANd alot of those megadevelopments seem to not be happening. Lincoln Yards, the 78, and bronzeville lakefront has had no movement for months. Halsted Pointe seems to be happening but ill believe it when i see it. North Union seems to be the only one actually getting constructed.

Chicago Yimby did a countdown of tallest projects. Nothing really impressive.

https://chicagoyimby.com/page/2?s=co...ate&order=desc

Now go to New York Yimby. The project heights are on a totally different level. Miami is building taller than Chicago these days.

https://newyorkyimby.com/

Old 01-01-2024, 04:02 PM

178 posts, read 175,464 times
well obviously no city can compare to NYC ,but Chicago has done quite well over the last several years, Miami is not even close to Chicago, sure Toronto is building more but still Chicago is much taller and grandar. If and when these mega developments are complete that's several dozens alone right there, and you left out several more that some are already under construction. Chicago will be just fine in this category decades.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:50 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle, let's see...9 or 12 uc depending on some nuance:
--48 story apartment topped out
--44 x 2 apartments uc (had been paused as a big pit, but restarted a year ago)
--44 x 2 apartments topped out but now moving very slowly due to money issues
--44 apartment nearing completion
--30 x 2 apartments topped out but basically stalled (same developer as the slow job, similar issues)
--30 apartments topped out
--29 apartments topped out (over 300'?)
--30 apartment started in 2023
--30 condo that still has work underway though it might be taking residents on some floors

Bellevue over 300' (all office...some residential towers are going up but they're max 24 stories or so):
--43-story office halfway up
--35-story office (adjoining the above) underway but they've said they'll stop after the below-grade garage is done.
--24-story office nearing completion
--24-story office topped out
--24 story office started in 2023

That's not much starting in 2023. For 2024 to be different on the residential side we'll depend on interest rates, capital availability, and construction costs. I doubt much office will start regardless.

Old 01-01-2024, 06:29 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
It's really hard to have accurate info on this unless you subscribe to some kind of pay site.

It's probably New York City (13). People don't want to hear that answer because it doesn't supply the "up and coming" narrative, but I'd be surprised if anyone has more.

Edit-Miami 18.
True, the information is tough to get in terms of accuracy overall for every single city. Unless someone is actually in the know or pays for the details.

But, regarding NYC, I know of 5 under construction in downtown Brooklyn alone right now, and another 4 or 5, in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. Then up in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, there are several going up right on the water, with one being in the 650 foot tall range.

Then with Manhattan, off the top of my head, I know of about 9 or 10 right now. And I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Then add in Long Island City, Queens, and a few new towers in the south Bronx, and NYC probably has at least 30 (or more) over 300 feet high under construction, currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City