Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2024, 07:04 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I get where you are going with the Metro vs. City thing we go down this road a lot here and i get your point,,, We already know Miami Metro is over 5,000,000 which would justify skyline size but to be honest City proper population is very important too believe it or not other wise New York, Chicago, LA, huge City proper population would not matter but it does, they are the Largest cities in the US, nevermind metro. Municipalties get funding based off of population so it does matter, it's the main city everything else is counted as suburban outlay. The point here is the Skyline vs. population is very lopsided my friend. Miami has a huge Skyline for a city it's size vs. the big dog Cities like New York and Chicago, it punches way way above it weight!
Its a common oversimplification on the forum, usually wrong.

How many square miles of Miami are zoned for skyscraper construction?

Contrast that with Los Angeles where in addition to downtown, you have the Arts District going tall, proposals in Hollywood, and full skyscrapers in Century City, Universal City. All of those count as "Los Angeles skyscrapers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 08:33 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Its a common oversimplification on the forum, usually wrong.

How many square miles of Miami are zoned for skyscraper construction?
Talking about the Miami metro, right?
A lot.
Like, A LOT!

Old 01-12-2024, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Talking about the Miami metro, right?
A lot.
Like, A LOT!
That's not what we're talking about.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That's not what we're talking about.
How many square miles of Miami are zoned for skyscrapers was your question.
You asked that.

If that’s not what we’re talking about, then what is it?
The Miami metro has a TON of land zoned for that.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:05 AM

Quote:
How many square miles of Miami are zoned for skyscrapers was your question.
You asked that.

If that’s not what we’re talking about, then what is it?
The Miami metro has a TON of land zoned for that.
Read earlier posts for full context, not going to re type.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Read earlier posts for full context, not going to re type.
I’ve read the earlier posts and have been following.
Again, the Miami area has a ton of land zoned for high rises.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I’ve read the earlier posts and have been following.
Again, the Miami area has a ton of land zoned for high rises.
The inference you're making is not what's being communicated.

OObanks remarked that Miami had a lot of skyscrapers for such a small city, he was challenged on the relevance of city limits.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The inference you're making is not what's being communicated.

OObanks remarked that Miami had a lot of skyscrapers for such a small city, he was challenged on the relevance of city limits.
And my response would be in line with what’s been said: Miami is a much bigger place that its city limits would suggest. Even Tamiami, for instance, which has a Miami zip code, is not in the Miami “city limits.” The skyline is reflective of its metro population, similar to Atlanta, as opposed to city limits. All cities are like this. One shouldn’t expect Miami and Atlanta to have skylines similar to Raleigh. Location is also a major key factor, but metro population is obviously a major factor.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:15 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the fact of the matter is that lot of people are investing premium dollars in those "ugly" buildings. And as in the case of Miami, despite the high price tag and a looming climate change crisis. They're representative of the majority of buildings now going up everywhere, especially in Florida. Besides those infill buildings in those pics will be somewhat balanced out by some unique skyscrapers under construction/or close to begin. They will be the true stars of the skyline. It seems a lot people want to buy into an increasingly "Manhattanized" Miami :

Aston Martin Residences 817 FT
https://images.app.goo.gl/2ifS52rFRpMEuyeq9
Waldorf Astoria 1049 FT
https://images.app.goo.gl/Qwrt4ebbtRY6pqrZ8
Legacy World Center 690 FT
https://www.thenextmiami.com/first-g...i-worldcenter/
Mandarin Oriental 826 FT
https://www.thenextmiami.com/constru...26-foot-tower/
1428 Brickell 860 FT
https://www.thenextmiami.com/demolit...tower-planned/
Brickell Gateway 761 FT
https://www.thenextmiami.com/constru...gateway-tower/

All these tall buildings that add nothing to the urban/pedestrian realm, price out 95% of people and will be half empty as always, good ol' Miami. Even the skyline is meh, copy/paste cookie cutter buildings.

Hell, even the building I'm in (in Brickell) is 60% empty during winter months, makes you wonder....

Old 01-13-2024, 01:44 PM

176 posts, read 174,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
All these tall buildings that add nothing to the urban/pedestrian realm, price out 95% of people and will be half empty as always, good ol' Miami. Even the skyline is meh, copy/paste cookie cutter buildings.

Hell, even the building I'm in (in Brickell) is 60% empty during winter months, makes you wonder....
I do wonder why you're even down here considering how much venom you continue to have for it. I've lived in Miami for close to 40 years... I love it and I'll continue to take pride in its progress. Through the years, I have felt that the civic optimism has grown, but mainly from its transplants and newer residents that have made their way down here because they want to be here. Only a hater cannot recognize the pedestrian evironment is much more improved and active. It is night and day from what it once was. It hasn't reached the US top tier in urbanity yet, but I believe it will in the next decade. I think that among its sunbelt peers it has made the most progress in that regard, and the tall building are just the most visiblepart of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City