Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 10:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times

Advertisements

In terms of new urbanism/ new urbanity. Austin has developed/developing, The Triangle, The Domain, West Campus and Mueller in relatively short amount of time, and those are just the ones north of the river, and that's the best out of the Texas cities in my opinion. But take in mind, in terms of traditional urbanity. Maybe only Fort Worth is built, less dense, and the least urban area, near a city in Texas is West Austin region/ especially South of the River, which is lower density than virtually any suburban development in Texas. West Campus, is probably the most traditional of the neighborhoods, above, but the only reason, I call it new, is because it's physically very new, and all post-2000-2010 urbanity.

Now, I could also be out of the loop, but I can't think of any projects in Houston that promotes, the small scale "new urbanism" that Austin is doing. Their are a couple of areas, that come close like the Astrodome, but even that is mostly traditional apartments.

Take in mind this is different from infill, as in many of these Austin districts outside of West Campus, Austin added new streets, and completely built these neighborhoods from scratch. Most of Houston's density is added, to already existing street grid and is not as master-planned, and not as far-reaching in modifying a neighborhood at once. I've heard that Westchase and parts of the Energy Corridor are trying to redevelop, as well as The Galleria area though. I'm not anywhere as in touch with DFW or San Antonio to comment on how many Mueller/Domain type districts exist in these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 10:47 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
In terms of new urbanism/ new urbanity. Austin has developed/developing, The Triangle, The Domain, West Campus and Mueller in relatively short amount of time, and those are just the ones north of the river, and that's the best out of the Texas cities in my opinion. But take in mind, in terms of traditional urbanity. Maybe only Fort Worth is built, less dense, and the least urban area, near a city in Texas is West Austin region/ especially South of the River, which is lower density than virtually any suburban development in Texas. West Campus, is probably the most traditional of the neighborhoods, above, but the only reason, I call it new, is because it's physically very new, and all post-2000-2010 urbanity.

Now, I could also be out of the loop, but I can't think of any projects in Houston that promotes, the small scale "new urbanism" that Austin is doing. Their are a couple of areas, that come close like the Astrodome, but even that is mostly traditional apartments.

Take in mind this is different from infill, as in many of these Austin districts outside of West Campus, Austin added new streets, and completely built these neighborhoods from scratch. Most of Houston's density is added, to already existing street grid and is not as master-planned, and not as far-reaching in modifying a neighborhood at once. I've heard that Westchase and parts of the Energy Corridor are trying to redevelop, as well as The Galleria area though. I'm not anywhere as in touch with DFW or San Antonio to comment on how many Mueller/Domain type districts exist in these cities.
Have you ever stepped foot in CityCentre, River Oaks District, and Springwood Village??

Old 08-01-2021, 11:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Have you ever stepped foot in CityCentre, River Oaks District, and Springwood Village??
CityCentre is significantly smaller than The Domain or Mueller. I say, "small-scale" in the sense of isolated urban neighborhood. But CityCentre is more analogous to a slightly larger Triangle than a smaller Domain. River Oaks District is also, smaller but i've only been there like once, so I won't speak on it, street experience wise, and i've never heard of Springwoods Village (unless it goes by a different name usually). I also understand the term neighborhood is subjective, when talking size, so that might not have come across in my post.

P.S Just looked into Springwood Village, and realized it was the Woodlands/Spring Area. Didn't know the official name. Size wise, it's actually appropriate but not nearly is enough there to be comparable to the neighborhoods, I outlined. But it has the most potential. I didn't originally edit my post just because I didn't want to lie, about Springwoods Village.

River Oaks also is a core-ish area i.e "Inner Loop", so I don't even relate inner loop development as much with places like The Domain or even Mueller, just because Austin's core is so much smaller, so it feels more detached from the central city, and thus feels more striking imho. The Domain legitimately feels like someone put Uptown "but smaller" and slightly more urban, on the other side of the Memorial area. Or switched it with City-Centre/Energy Corridor. River Oaks district though is easily higher end than anything in Austin, and The Domain is probably the most comparable.

City-Centre could get to The Domain's level, if it was the size of all of Memorial City. The mall area would have to be completely redeveloped though, so did, much of the area North of the highway. I-10 splitting the neighborhood itself is problematic in it's own right.

Also the important aspect is live-work-play. The closest neighborhood to Mueller in Houston is Gulfton. Honestly, Mueller is what Gulfton could aspire to be, if the apartments were redeveloped to be more walkable. Guflton's already denser than Mueller is basically ever going to be.

Like I said, Austin's the least urban city of the big 5 (FW might be slightly less, but it's the city I've spent the least time in). But when they try, in terms of vibrancy and node development, the city is unmatched. Uptown Dallas might be the only neighborhood at street level that matches some of Austin's nodes outside the traditional Downtown areas, and Uptown is basically an extension of Downtown Dallas.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 08-01-2021 at 11:39 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 07:00 PM

631 posts, read 404,117 times
I live in WPB and this is absolutely spot on! I grew up here - moved away for college, then moved to the northeast for a bit and finally returned and bought a home.

They are truly making downtown WPB a city that punches above its weight. High rises, brightline station, class A office space, awesome nightlife on the 500 block. You no longer have to go to Delray, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami for a great night out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
The developments surrounding Downtown Nashville are pretty nice and really compliment the area. Uptown Dallas also appears to be one of the most complete neighborhoods in the south. A city I've always enjoyed watching "come alive" is West Palm Beach. They've been steadily and consistently developing their downtown into a true live, work, play neighborhood. They've repurposed and rehabilitated a lot of the historic architecture on Clematis Street.

City Place is constantly evolving, and when I visited a month ago, the place had a totally different feel than it did in '18 when I last visited. I think it's even been rebranded/renamed. I also assumed that all of the new towers under construction, were just more condos and apartments. Wrong. They've built 2 or 3 new office towers in the middle of their entertainment district. All of this right by a direct rail connection to Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

It's almost as if they've realized just how much weight they hold in the trajectory of the South Florida region. Having to anchor a county with over 1 Million residents kind of forces you to play the role of the big city. You can accept it reluctantly, or ambitiously.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_96jV7qpI

Brickell, Midtown sections of Miami
That's actually the design district, north of Midtown & on the north side of I-195.
Brickell is a really good example of an urban W*L*P neighborhood that's really emerged this Century. There wasn't much of anything there 20 years ago and it's just exploded.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Tampa has one of the best designs of a Florida (Southern in general...) city. If they can completely connect Ybor to downtown and really redevelop that.. it would be amazing.
Should happen in the mid-decade. Gas Worx (terrible name) was announced. That development will finally connect them. And they'll both connect to Water Street.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Should happen in the mid-decade. Gas Worx (terrible name) was announced. That development will finally connect them. And they'll both connect to Water Street.
And phase 1 of Water Street looks fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City