Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 06:48 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

I've had better ‘luck’ in Vegas if you catch my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 08:36 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Atlanta.

Vegas

then Miami.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:18 PM

169 posts, read 126,997 times
LA is awesome. Not sure why OP doesn’t like it.

For a bachelor event, I’ll take Miami, Vegas, and Atlanta in that order. Atlanta doesn’t really have a niche draw like beaches or gambling. Why choose Atlanta for a bachelor event over Nashville, Austin, DC, and hundreds of other cities without a discernible draw?

Plus, Atlanta has absolutely exploded in crime and murder in the past couple of years. Pass please.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:28 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
For a bachelor event, I’ll take Miami, Vegas, and Atlanta in that order. Atlanta doesn’t really have a niche draw like beaches or gambling. Why choose Atlanta for a bachelor event over Nashville, Austin, DC, and hundreds of other cities without a discernible draw?
I could agree with that. Atlanta is actually a much larger tourist city than many realize, but it has more to do with the large amount of business travel, merchandise mart travel, and conventions attracted to Atlanta due to it's central location to much of the US populace that make hosting events cheaper and with quicker travel to more people. It has less to do with large tourist draws, like beaches, large gambling, colonial history, or mountains, etc...

However, just a note... I think the OP wasn't asking for an event location. I think he was asking about living in as a bachelor.

This originally started in the Atlanta forum. I think his goal wasn't to start a city vs. city as much as tease out of Atlantans how we compare ourselves to other places he recently lived in to capture things he didn't know about Atlanta as an option.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
So how big of an area do I need to combine now? 50 square miles? I'm talking about a really concentrated area in Vegas ie 2mi by 1 mi. IE WALKABLE. Have you even been to Chinatown in Vegas? Oh wait NOW you are including the entirety of metro Atlanta in your comparison? LOL! I still stand by my statement that Chinatown in Vegas blows away any similar area ie Buford Highway that I Atlanta has to offer. Oh and how many Michelin Star restaurants does Atlanta have. Oh thats right. ZERO. Vegas? NINE.

It has never reached 124 degrees in Las Vegas. Ever. So please, stop right there with the lies. The highest recorded temp in Vegas was 117 degrees in 2017. Yes, it did hit around 115 degrees this summer (I was there) and yes, it was quite unpleasant. I stand by my statement that winters in Atlanta suck (when did November become part of the winter season??? LOL!). Overall, Las Vegas weather is better, especially if you enjoy your sunshine. But hey different strokes for different folks.

I brought up LA because the OP brought up LA.

We can go round and round with this. It sounds like you took personal offense to what I said though. I mean I really have no skin in the game I think both cities Vegas and Atlanta, are dumps in their own particular ways.

EDIT: I stand corrected it did hit 117 this summer in Vegas. Still not sure where you came up with 124. You probably just made that up out of thin air.
Who cares? And how does this personally effect you, or your quality of life? How often do you dine in these places? If you think Atlanta is lacking in good restaurants, you are very sadly mistaken.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:31 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Some have relocated to more open cities and have been subsidized to some extent and protected by the federal stimulus unemployment benefits and rent moratorium. Look forward to these programs ending and a possible/hopeful return to pre-Covid norms where people go back home and feel less emboldened to do stupid things (or as many) in their hometowns.

Quote:
I guess Atlanta's draw for bachelor events would be the numerous all nude strip clubs.

Nashvilles homicide rate doubled the first 2 months of 2021. Austin's murder rate hasnt been this high since the 1990's. Best just to stay in your home (preferably a safe room) or if you have to leave your home for things like walking down your driveway to get the mail or drive to get groceries, best carry one of your many handguns with you at all times. I just cant figure out why America has this problem while other 1st world countries dont.....

Last edited by elchevere; 08-07-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-07-2021, 08:06 PM

402 posts, read 369,584 times
I have considered 2 of those cities and lived in Miami.
If I had to do it all over again given those choices, I would still pick Miami, then Vegas, then Atlanta.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
It's a measuring stick. Something besides "I ate there and it was good".

I never said Atlanta was lacking in good restaurants. Good being the key word. Not great.
Wrong again. There are more great restaurants here than you could possibly know.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Not according to Michelin.
A small group of critics in Paris hired by a Tire Company are not the final authority on U.S. dining. Hardly. They only think the U.S. has like 5 cities anyway.

I just discovered Michelin stopped rating Vegas restaurants 12 years ago, so those 9 restaurants are resting on their laurels. I seriously doubt they would all still be ranked by Michelin at all.

Last edited by JMatl; 08-08-2021 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-08-2021, 11:02 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
I guess Atlanta's draw for bachelor events would be the numerous all nude strip clubs.

Nashvilles homicide rate doubled the first 2 months of 2021. Austin's murder rate hasnt been this high since the 1990's. Best just to stay in your home (preferably a safe room) or if you have to leave your home for things like walking down your driveway to get the mail or drive to get groceries, best carry one of your many handguns with you at all times. I just cant figure out why America has this problem while other 1st world countries dont.....
Just look at the differences between the quality of life of the poor between the US and Canada (which is virtually identical culture-wise) and compare policies. The answer's pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City