Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 11:04 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,346,221 times

Advertisements

I don't get the "I hate Boston" from someone multi-racial who once lived in a Stepford Wives New Hampshire suburb. That's lilly-white, totally car dependent, and at least 45 minutes outside the city at 2am. I'd be curious what town but I'd guess Hollis or Amherst or Bedford somewhere north or west of Nashua. That's not Boston or the inner suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 11:24 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,091,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't get the "I hate Boston" from someone multi-racial who once lived in a Stepford Wives New Hampshire suburb. That's lilly-white, totally car dependent, and at least 45 minutes outside the city at 2am. I'd be curious what town but I'd guess Hollis or Amherst or Bedford somewhere north or west of Nashua. That's not Boston or the inner suburbs.
I think OP might be referring to Boston as some of these far flung Suburbs.

My issue with OP is they want A B and C, but the only places that offer A B or C, OP hates and does not like. So we cant really help…

Old 08-07-2021, 11:41 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,841,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think OP might be referring to Boston as some of these far flung Suburbs.

My issue with OP is they want A B and C, but the only places that offer A B or C, OP hates and does not like. So we cant really help…

I agree. Most US cities are not European because well... we aren't Europe. I stated the closest examples are Boston, New Orleans, and Philadelphia are the best ones for Old World design. And even in those cities a select few areas of it.

OP's problem may be with Boston's culture or something rather than how it's built. As someone not from the Northeast, a lot of cities in the Northeast produce very similar people from my anecdotal experience of being in a transplant heavy city chock full of people from the Northeast and Midwest. Philadelphia may be different enough, but it's unsure. What I can guarantee is New Orleans being quite different culturally from Boston. New Orleans may be the best bet.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:57 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,894,868 times
To 80% of people waiting north of new haven is “Boston” facts be damned lol.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:16 PM

40 posts, read 28,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I agree. Most US cities are not European because well... we aren't Europe. I stated the closest examples are Boston, New Orleans, and Philadelphia are the best ones for Old World design. And even in those cities a select few areas of it.

OP's problem may be with Boston's culture or something rather than how it's built. As someone not from the Northeast, a lot of cities in the Northeast produce very similar people from my anecdotal experience of being in a transplant heavy city chock full of people from the Northeast and Midwest. Philadelphia may be different enough, but it's unsure. What I can guarantee is New Orleans being quite different culturally from Boston. New Orleans may be the best bet.
Could not have said it better myself! I probably should have specify the cultural component. I though having the list of cities to avoid recommending would be enough. I wanted people to first think outside of the box and second to help find a walk able area with a different culture.

Now I have a list of cities I want to research.

Pittsburgh
Area in Atlanta near a Marta stop.
New Orleans
Savannah
Charleston
Madison
Alexandria ( other areas out side of DC too)
Salt Lake

Old 08-07-2021, 02:46 PM

824 posts, read 717,120 times
Cincinnati could also be an option now. A streetcar was recently built and the over-the-Rhine neighborhood is one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country nowadays as well. It was built up in the 1840s by German Immigrants and during the Civil War era, it was possibly the most dense neighborhood in the country outside o NYC due to its numerous tenement buildings, for which the neighborhood is defined by. There’s also Findlay Market, which was started in 1852, and is ranked by Newsweek as one of the top ten public markets in the world.

It was only in the early 2000s that the neighborhood was ranked among the most dangerous in the country and was halfway abandoned. There are still rough areas of the city but similar to Pittsburgh, they are very scattershot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-Rhine

https://www.urbanadventures.com/blog...ne-cincinnati/

Cincinnati in general has seen massive revitalization in the past 10 years with literally hundreds or even thousands of abandoned buildings being rehabbed. Suburbs like Covington and Newport, both in Kentucky are also relatively dense 19th century cities as well.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:12 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,022,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Yeah, but the OP also wants "low crime". That's not New Orleans, and is going to be a problem with a lot of the southern cities. It does seem that irregardless of weather, they like the south better, probably because that's where they are from. Some people not from there can't adjust to the pace of the northeast.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:14 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,091,861 times
I think Atlanta would be the best fit. With Charlotte in a close 2nd.

Remember, Public Transportation is a huge priority.. both have rail.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:25 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,022,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhthaya View Post
Could not have said it better myself! I probably should have specify the cultural component. I though having the list of cities to avoid recommending would be enough. I wanted people to first think outside of the box and second to help find a walk able area with a different culture.

Now I have a list of cities I want to research.

Pittsburgh
Area in Atlanta near a Marta stop.
New Orleans
Savannah
Charleston
Madison
Alexandria ( other areas out side of DC too)
Salt Lake
If as you said previously you "can't deal with a high crime rate", you should cross of New Orleans, Savannah, Atlanta and Pittsburgh. On a per 100K pop basis, here are the violent crime stats. Boston, which you said you didn't like is used for comparison -

Boston -
Murder - 6
Robbery - 148.7
Burglary - 243.7

New Orleans -
Murder - 30.7
Robbery - 256.8
Burglary - 543.2

Pittsburgh -
Murder - 18.8
Robbery - 230
Burglary - 443.2

Atlanta -
Murder - 17.7
Robbery - 221.5
Burglary - 621.1

Savannah -
Murder - 11.6
Robbery - 110.2
Burglary - 364.9

I think Alexandria would be a really good option for you if you can deal with the traffic. I also think you should look at Providence, RI. I think Savannah and Charleston are going to be too small for you. There's nothing outside of the core of downtown Charleston (which is very small) that you would like, and the area is very car centric. No public transit at all.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,841,810 times
Avoiding the 7th and 9th wards of New Orleans is pretty easy to do.

Also Atlanta is not nearly Old World enough, not sure how that made the list but NYC didn't. Both are heavily Americanized, with Atlanta being the most sprawled city in the entire US. Yes, Atlanta sprawls worse than Phoenix, but you don't see Phoenix making this list either. A + sign for a subway map is not enough.

Salt Lake City also needs to be removed. SLC is known for ridiculously wide roads. When the Mormons first populated the area, roads were designed so that a horse-drawn wagon could do a full U-turn. Narrow wandering streets (like in Lisbon) definitely does NOT exist in the heavily gridded, wide road SLC. Mesa was built the same way as SLC so that's why I'm familiar with that. Whoever said that has clearly never been to Europe.

Again any old city in the US that's been even remotely popular by national standards for the past 100 years needs to not be on OP's list. The car-centric American Dream has destroyed any type of neighborhood that could've been this. Boston is probably the only exception to this, but that's because Boston has rigorously prevented any development. Which is arguably a bad thing, Boston is now extremely unaffordable.

Philadelphia and New Orleans alike have been unpopular compared to other nearby metros,... NYC and Houston respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City