Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 12:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Minneapolis without a car. My mom never got her driver's license and we did fine. My other family up there doesn't drive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 05:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhthaya View Post
What about Denver?
You can live in Denver without a car. RTD reaches a good part of the area. You’d have to stay in the city if you want walkability though.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:50 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhthaya View Post
What about Denver?
Denver has been the most aggressive mid-sized metro area in taxing, spending, and engaging in public-private partnerships to build a huge rapid and commuter rail network. It's not perfect but is still a major asset that is having and will have, long-term positive effects for the region. Denver should be a model for all major cities that have been too reticent to make the mass transit plunge.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
This just might be the most wildly inaccurate description of Chicago that I have ever read.

You are right that Chicago's urban development is very American but you are incorrect about the lack of small buildings, setbacks, row homes.

Chicago was the fastest growing city in the world during the 1870s, 1880s, and 1890s. By 1900, Chicago had grown to become the 5th largest city in the world.

The real estate boom that occurred during these years of explosive growth was oriented around street cars, horse drawn buggies, elevated rail lines, and pedestrians - because this was before the advent of mass automobile ownership.

Take a look at the photos of Chicago's neighborhoods today to see what I mean!
You hit on exactly the point: Chicago exploded at the right time -- while NYC was experimenting with new-fangled rapid transit and many decades prior to the development and growth of the automobile. Ironically, the city used the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 to its advantage: it wiped the slate clean and, essentially made Chicago an incubator of urban experimentation: the skyscraper, preservation of the lakeshore, building an inland waterway, in part, to channel industrial development away from the lakeshore which wise planners realized is a place for people, not industry, the development of a pioneer research university (U. of Chicago), large-scale planned street-grid development, including extensive use of alleyways to carry power lines of electricity (another new-fangled technology of the era) as well as elevated rapid transit trains behind the building line and not darken/uglify city streets.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:08 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Denver has a lot of rail miles, but overall transit ridership is poor. It's not a model in my opinion.

Its rail has gone to the easy corridors, not necessarily where the people are. It's built for the park-n-ride suburban commuter. There's been good TOD growth, but not on the scale needed to move the needle.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:19 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Denver has a lot of rail miles, but overall transit ridership is poor. It's not a model in my opinion.

Its rail has gone to the easy corridors, not necessarily where the people are. It's built for the park-n-ride suburban commuter. There's been good TOD growth, but not on the scale needed to move the needle.
While I agree, I think the benefits will reveal themselves in 20 years when the whole system is covered in TODs. Many of the newest commuter lines have only been open for a couple years.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Rail is just a plus. Denver has good bus coverage which should be taken into consideration.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:36 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Its combined commute stats are poor, both core-city and metro.

Continued TOD growth will help, and there seems to be energy to put a lot of growth in TO areas both by policy and public/developer desire. But those existing neighborhoods still need better service.

Locals complain about poor service in some pretty obvious corridors, including buses. The gist seems to be basically what I've said, that transit is focused on the long-range park-n-rider rather than better service in Denver itself.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Continued TOD growth will help, and there seems to be energy to put a lot of growth in TO areas both by policy and public/developer desire. But those existing neighborhoods still need better service.

Locals complain about poor service in some pretty obvious corridors, including buses. The gist seems to be basically what I've said, that transit is focused on the long-range park-n-rider rather than better service in Denver itself.
Speaking from experience, I’ve never had an issue getting around the city using RTD (And I used to use it often). I know C-D is stat based but Ridership numbers don’t always tell the full story imo. I’ve learned that in more than a few cities. The suburbs are a different story and frequency can be an issue though.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-09-2021 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-09-2021, 10:51 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:

It's combined commute stats look very much like Seattle's. Pre-covid it had slightly higher light rail ridership, significantly higher commuter rail ridership and significantly less bus ridership, but very much in the same general area. During the pandemic it's passed Seattle's numbers for total ridership. This is all from APTA transit stats, which are what what transit agencies actually measure, not what people self-report on the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City