Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:24 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
If you have a college degree of any kind and marketable skills, it really shouldn't be difficult to land a position in cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco.

I have a friend who went to Arizona State to study journalism and has had jobs in both in both Chicago and NYC. I got my engineering bachelor's degree from some no-name school in New Mexico and got accepted to a fully funded PhD program at Northeastern University in Boston.

I'm not sure why people are acting as if east coast cities are these prestigious places that only the elite have access to. A college degree from pretty much any accredited school and good marketing skills will open up doors in every corner of the country.
You’re looking at it with an engineering degree. Try Women’s Studies or Psychology. You’d be sleeping in a cardboard box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,172,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re looking at it with an engineering degree. Try Women’s Studies or Psychology. You’d be sleeping in a cardboard box.
Yeah, but what astonishes me is that J-school grads are getting good job offers.

Those who go into this profession expecting to rake it in usually get disabused of that notion pretty quickly, especially if they want to go into broadcast journalism. A friend of mine, Trenton native, got a BA in journalism from South Dakota State University (he wanted to study as far away culturally from Trenton as possible) and got hired as a reporter for a small-market TV station in Hagerstown, MD, at its Winchester, VA bureau.

He often found himself having to choose between food and transportation when he got paid. (He ended up walking 2-3 miles to work a lot.) His lament about his situation posted to Facebook went viral. He now works in the field I call "journalism's hired-gun cousin," public/media relations, for a New Jersey state government department at a very good salary, so there is that alternative for journalism degree holders. But most students who enter college as J-majors don't have as their ultimate goal working to push someone's message, and for those who don't, the pay is actually rather mediocre: last I looked, the median annual income for news reporters is in the mid-$30k range.

Sheesh, my own mom half-joked with me about how I could become a doctor or lawyer after college and "support me in the style to which I wish I were accustomed. But no, you want to become a journalist, and we'll all starve in an attic."

I'm pleased to report that never happened.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM

21,782 posts, read 12,922,969 times
Quote:
It’s 7:16am on a Wednesday. I’d budget 2 hours to get from New Bedford to, say, Mass General leaving now. You might be able to do it in 1h 45 minutes.
buddy I'm in Rhode Island right now... I just got from Woonsocket to Boston in 53 minutes at 3 pm on Sunday. I got from Boston to Providence in 45 minutes at 630 pm yesterday. What on earth I taking you an hour and 45 minutes. My drive in from Hartford took me 1 hr 40 minutes on the way up here.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,847,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
buddy I'm in Rhode Island right now... I just got from Woonsocket to Boston in 53 minutes at 3 pm on Sunday. I got from Boston to Providence in 45 minutes at 630 pm yesterday. What on earth I taking you an hour and 45 minutes. My drive in from Hartford took me 1 hr 40 minutes on the way up here.
One interesting thing I’ve learned as a Westerner is that the east coast sounds larger than it actually is. For example I learned a useless fact that Philadelphia is equally 98 miles between Baltimore and New York. For me in Arizona that gets me to Tucson, and is an easy drive for about one and a half to two hours. If you asked me about the NE corridor, I would have predicted Baltimore and DC being an hour or two hours apart, Philadelphia being two hours to Baltimore, Philly being 3 hours from NYC, and maybe four hours from NYC to Boston, all by car anyway.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:15 PM

12,201 posts, read 8,107,261 times
Quote:
It’s 7:16am on a Wednesday. I’d budget 2 hours to get from New Bedford to, say, Mass General leaving now. You might be able to do it in 1h 45 minutes.
I got from Braintree to Eastie in under 35 minutes, 6 times, Sunday-Tuesday.. including in Rush Hour traffic (4pm, 5pm, 8am, etc) the past few days.

You do not need 2 hours to get into Boston from New Bedford. Thats a gross over exaggeration. Are you driving 20mph?

After being in NJ so long now... MA traffic is nowhere near as soul-crushing and exhausting. Boston boosters really need to stop overhyping it.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,144 posts, read 7,616,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
One interesting thing I’ve learned as a Westerner is that the east coast sounds larger than it actually is. For example I learned a useless fact that Philadelphia is equally 98 miles between Baltimore and New York. For me in Arizona that gets me to Tucson, and is an easy drive for about one and a half to two hours. If you asked me about the NE corridor, I would have predicted Baltimore and DC being an hour or two hours apart, Philadelphia being two hours to Baltimore, Philly being 3 hours from NYC, and maybe four hours from NYC to Boston, all by car anyway.
Well when traffic is at it's peak some of those estimates wouldn't be far off, but generally no. I've driven from the Washington DC beltway/ 495 to Staten Island, NY in 2hrs and 49 mins (personal record). This was in the middle of the night however with 0 traffic, and pushing it way faster than I should have probably. The Northeast Corridor from DC all the way to Boston is less than 450 miles, and spans like 6/7 states.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:22 PM

40 posts, read 28,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Go to NYC and then live in neighborhoods you would most likely live in with your budget and aesthetic.

Theres a lot of questions before I can name a neighborhood. Are you gay? Whats your budget? Whats your indistry? Whats your race? What do you like to do for fun? Friday nights? I mean I could recommend Queens in general because that fits everyone. Queens is like a Doechester-Hyde Park-Downtown crossing area of Boston IMHO.

But please visit and try it out first. Everyone says they want NYC and then a good amount actually move there and literally hate it no matter how many times they visit. It can look glamorous until tour paying $1800 for a Studio above a Restaurant with roaches in Brooklyn and your friends are working too much to grab drinks. Someone at 25-30 is just starting a career and getting into things and probably working a ton and building wealth. You dont know New York at all and if you think Boston is brash, New York will be hell whether it be Staten Island or Queens or Midtown. The grind is real.

The only reason im cautious is you said you lived near Boston.. 2 hours away.. which is Middle Vermont, Pittsfield MA and the far reaches of Nantucket and New Hampshire. It seems you dont know much about Boston at all based on some things you said that were just not true (like extremely brash new englanders and highlighting how nice New Yorkers are). Something tells me your glamourizing NYC and I think you need to visit and do more research on both because your assessment of both are just very very .. wrong.
I had visited and explored most of Boston many times. I did not live there. I live two hours away; so it was the closed big city to me at the time. I just don't like Boston. There is a few neighborhood that are good, but they are way to expensive. Besides that, most of the Boston metro area I just don't like. It hard to put into words but the city of Boston is just not for me. So please don't recommend Boston on this thread. There is a reason why I made a list of cities not recommend.

As for NYC I have to agree with you, that why I put it on the list of cities not recommend. However, there may be an area of NYC that defy expectation. I have only been to mid town and I know NYC is huge/diverse. (I wouldn't live in Mid town by the way.) Also, the only 2 New Yorker I know, I met in SW Florida and there my friends. So I don't know New Yorkers very well. I was just saying that they "recommended stearing clear of mid town." So, I assumed the rest of NYC is different.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This. OP thinks Pittsfield or Rutland VT or New Britian CT is Boston…. Im so confused.
No I don't. Boston was the closest big city to me at the time. Which was two hours away. I visited Boston a lot both for big cities amenities and families work stuff. Besides a few very expensive neighborhoods, I just don't like Boston that much. Yes a lot of it is very walk-able, but list of issues I have with that cities goes on and on. For the price, it just on worth it. There is a reason why I had a list of cities not to recommend.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1.Boston 2.Philly 3.DC 4. NYC 5. Bmore

NYC suffers on walkability due to scale. Bmore suffers due to lack of subway lines.

Chicago is somewhere in the top 5-6 could be as high as #3. I cant speak to it
Is Philly, DC and Bmore as dangerous as the News make it out to be? I want most of the city to be safe and walk-able.

Also, please stop recommending Boston to me.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:50 PM

Also, I would prefer people not to recommend me cities on that list I mad and cities in the north east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City