Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro Area Has Most Growth Potential?
Jacksonville, FL 23 20.54%
Raleigh, NC 84 75.00%
Memphis, TN 8 7.14%
Richmond, VA 20 17.86%
New Orleans, LA 2 1.79%
Louisville, KY 9 8.04%
Birmingham, AL 9 8.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 02:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Raleigh is only a separate MSA on paper; it is a rare case where the CSA (of 2M+) should really be thought of as the MSA for all practical purposes.
Agreed. Including it in this poll makes for a lopsided, arguably less interesting discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 03:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Agreed. Including it in this poll makes for a lopsided, arguably less interesting discussion.

Definitely, I feel like this thread would be more meaningful without Raleigh as it's always gonna win amongst the mid-tier cities even some top-tier cities

Old 08-04-2021, 03:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Raleigh is taking the lead so far, by far.

Curious though how folks think Raleigh is doing in terms of cultural offerings, public transportation, preservation of green space, and building its downtown core?

I think older cities on this list like New Orleans, Richmond, Birmingham, Louisville and Memphis have a much better dense housing stock, as well as a better core downtown, than newer cities like Raleigh and Jacksonville.

All of these cities favor sprawl (especially Raleigh & Jacksonville), but I think downtown preservation, density and development are keys to balance for good growth.

Raleigh is the best city on this list for attracting jobs and creating a stronger economy than the rest. On this criteria, it leads the pack.

On the rest of the criteria though, I'm not sure if Raleigh leads, as much as it is perceived to...
But here's the question at hand: Which of these southern metro areas in the 1 to 1.5 million range (2020 estimates) are slated to have the most optimistic future?

Even if Raleigh isn't exactly leading the pack in every category, it's at least making strides and is competitive in each category. I actually think it has an argument for coming in first when it comes to building its downtown core seeing as though it has more room to do so than the others, and its rapid growth is resulting in the gentrification of core neighborhoods. As far as best culture as judging by venues/facilities, nightlife, history, etc., it takes a backseat to the older cities in particular but it's not exactly a slouch either. Of course it will lose when it comes to minimal sprawl but only because it's growing the fastest by far, but it has done some notable things with respect to greenspace preservation (and historic preservation) with the creation of Dix Park being the best example of that by far relatively recently.

Richmond stands out for public transportation with its BRT line which has gotten pretty good reviews over the past few years. Not sure what Raleigh has planned on this front but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes a similar route.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,316 times
I would to like to say New Orleans, but it's Raleigh. Then I'm guessing Jacksonville.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:12 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Uh, Raleigh.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, Raleigh.
Boot Raleigh off the list as it's growth potentail is currently being realized. I think it's Richmond but I'm not sure the city really wants to grow at the pace of other high growth sunbelt cities...it just seems content to be Richmond and has this Greensboro kind of mindset versus an all out boosterism blitz like other metros.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:46 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,231,492 times
not to pile on, but a poll between the last 5 cities on your list would have made for a better discussion. all are fairly "slow growth" metros with uniquely rich histories, and all have taken their lumps over the years.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Richmond stands out for public transportation with its BRT line which has gotten pretty good reviews over the past few years. Not sure what Raleigh has planned on this front but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes a similar route.
really hope Birmingham's BRT line is successful. it's slated to launch next year just in time for the World Games.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think older cities on this list like New Orleans, Richmond, Birmingham, Louisville and Memphis have a much better dense housing stock, as well as a better core downtown, than newer cities like Raleigh and Jacksonville.
i understand what you're saying here, but I'd bet Birmingham might actually be the youngest city on this list, having only been founded in 1871.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Boot Raleigh off the list as it's growth potentail is currently being realized. I think it's Richmond but I'm not sure the city really wants to grow at the pace of other high growth sunbelt cities...it just seems content to be Richmond and has this Greensboro kind of mindset versus an all out boosterism blitz like other metros.
Greensboro isn't the most boosterish of cities but it has long had growth ambitions (and a geographical middle child syndrome) and isn't just content with its present status. I would say that Richmond is much more comfortable in its own skin and with the growth trajectory it's on though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
really hope Birmingham's BRT line is successful. it's slated to launch next year just in time for the World Games.
I didn't know Birmingham was getting a BRT line but that's awesome to hear. I'm rooting for the city to pull off a really successful World Games that results in a lot of exposure, propelling the city into a new phase of substantial growth, development, and investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City