Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro Area Has Most Growth Potential?
Jacksonville, FL 23 20.54%
Raleigh, NC 84 75.00%
Memphis, TN 8 7.14%
Richmond, VA 20 17.86%
New Orleans, LA 2 1.79%
Louisville, KY 9 8.04%
Birmingham, AL 9 8.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 12:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Naw.

Raleigh

Jacksonville
Birmingham
Richmond
Louisville
New Orleans
Memphis
You can at least argue that Jacksonville outstrips Richmond in terms of growth but I can't think of any category that Birmingham is outperforming Richmond in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 01:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Raleigh easily, then Louisville.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:47 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You can at least argue that Jacksonville outstrips Richmond in terms of growth but I can't think of any category that Birmingham is outperforming Richmond in.
Wasn’t this thread about growth potential? Am I missing something? That’s what my list is based on.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Wasn’t this thread about growth potential? Am I missing something? That’s what my list is based on.
There are criteria in the first post of the thread based on current performance in various categories (which is why there is near unanimous agreement about Raleigh's position as #1) but I suppose you didn't use that to compile your list.

In what ways do you believe Birmingham to have greater growth potential than Richmond? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
There are criteria in the first post of the thread based on current performance in various categories (which is why there is near unanimous agreement about Raleigh's position as #1) but I suppose you didn't use that to compile your list.

In what ways do you believe Birmingham to have greater growth potential than Richmond? I'm genuinely curious.
Uh, Raleigh was #1 on my list…

Old 08-08-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Uh, Raleigh was #1 on my list…
Precisely....which means, to some extent, its past/current performance factored into your decision to rank it #1 for future potential.

I was just curious as to why you believe Birmingham has more growth potential than Richmond; that's all.

All things considered, my ranking isn't much different than yours though. We have the same cities in the bottom three albeit in a slightly different order. New Orleans brings up the rear for me due to its geography and being in the horribly-run state of Louisiana.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Precisely....which means, to some extent, its past/current performance factored into your decision to rank it #1 for future potential.

I was just curious as to why you believe Birmingham has more growth potential than Richmond; that's all.

All things considered, my ranking isn't much different than yours though. We have the same cities in the bottom three albeit in a slightly different order. New Orleans brings up the rear for me due to its geography and being in the horribly-run state of Louisiana.
Richmond is good, and Birmingham is good.

Yet, Birmingham is in the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion and is an emerging engine in the megaregion - while Richmond is at the dangling end of the Northeast Megaregion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...tic_Megaregion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...egaregions.png

Moreover, the "turquoise coloring" of the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...egaregions.png) should be shaded in fully between Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville.

Birmingham is one of the four supporting pillars of this dynamic megaregion (along with Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham) with Atlanta as its grand heart. Winston-Salem, Greenville, and Huntsville are the three secondary pillars.

{I actually think the Piedmont Atlantic megaregion should be renamed the Southern Crescent...}

Old 08-10-2021, 05:31 AM

346 posts, read 229,462 times
Richmond could just as easily be classified as "Piedmont Atlantic" -- it's in the Piedmont of Virginia and right off I-85. Is also the closest to the Atlantic ocean of any of those cities.

But you're right, it's not at the moment due to the influence of D.C., which is actually more of a liability than a strength. Richmond does not have the growth potential of even Birmingham. Though Huntsville has the most.

New Orleans can't even grow geographically except on it's north shore, which is too far removed. It is last on this list for having growth potential but is arguably the realest city here.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:48 AM

830 posts, read 1,018,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Richmond could just as easily be classified as "Piedmont Atlantic" -- it's in the Piedmont of Virginia and right off I-85. Is also the closest to the Atlantic ocean of any of those cities.

But you're right, it's not at the moment due to the influence of D.C., which is actually more of a liability than a strength. Richmond does not have the growth potential of even Birmingham. Though Huntsville has the most.

New Orleans can't even grow geographically except on it's north shore, which is too far removed. It is last on this list for having growth potential but is arguably the realest city here.
Would have to disagree. Richmond may straddle Virginia's Piedmont, but it is decidedly not a Piedmont Atlantic metro area. If you subscribe to Richard Florida's and Virginia Tech's Metropolitan Institute's notion of the 11 modern mega regions, Richmond's fate is definitely linked to the Northeast "mega region." While I think your perspective is often colored by politics, the fact is the Commonwealth is already spending billions on transportation and infrastructure, improving and making those links more robust.

The biggest opportunity for Richmond, which it has slowly been taking more advantage of, is that dramatic cost gradient between it and NOVA/DC. With its less intense lifestyle and substantial amenities it's attractive, which is why so many people and companies seem to relocate here from DC. In fact, it looks like DC-based CoStar is likely working on Richmond's next tallest. On the flip side, you also have those new subsea fiber optic cables like the Dunnant cable that were completed and terminate in Henrico, of all places, via Virginia Beach. Hence the activity with Facebook, Google, etc. I think Richmond is swimming in a soup of opportunity, but as someone else mentioned, the city is mostly content with its growth and doesn't really embrace change for change's sake.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:04 AM

346 posts, read 229,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Would have to disagree. Richmond may straddle Virginia's Piedmont, but it is decidedly not a Piedmont Atlantic metro area. If you subscribe to Richard Florida's and Virginia Tech's Metropolitan Institute's notion of the 11 modern mega regions, Richmond's fate is definitely linked to the Northeast "mega region." While I think your perspective is often colored by politics, the fact is the Commonwealth is already spending billions on transportation and infrastructure, improving and making those links more robust.

The biggest opportunity for Richmond, which it has slowly been taking more advantage of, is that dramatic cost gradient between it and NOVA/DC. With its less intense lifestyle and substantial amenities it's attractive, which is why so many people and companies seem to relocate here from DC. In fact, it looks like DC-based CoStar is likely working on Richmond's next tallest. On the flip side, you also have those new subsea fiber optic cables like the Dunnant cable that were completed and terminate in Henrico, of all places, via Virginia Beach. Hence the activity with Facebook, Google, etc. I think Richmond is swimming in a soup of opportunity, but as someone else mentioned, the city is mostly content with its growth and doesn't really embrace change for change's sake.
Thanks for your input.

I find the concept of "mega region" to be dubious though, Richmond hangs off the D.C. area as a dingleberry at best, but what connection does it have to the rest of the Northeast? It is not even in the geographic Northeast of the country.

I agree it is not "Piedmont Atlantic" either, though I'm saying it could be if it wanted to.

To be honest, Richmond and Hampton Roads comprise a region all to their own. They are siloes. Neither here nor there but content with the way things are.

---

Huntsville has the most growth potential and should be on this list instead of Birmingham or Memphis (but it might not hit the size limit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City