Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro Area Has Most Growth Potential?
Jacksonville, FL 23 20.54%
Raleigh, NC 84 75.00%
Memphis, TN 8 7.14%
Richmond, VA 20 17.86%
New Orleans, LA 2 1.79%
Louisville, KY 9 8.04%
Birmingham, AL 9 8.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 09:55 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times

Advertisements

Ranking MSA future growth potential (next 10 years): (my % growth estimate)

1. Raleigh +16%
2. Richmond +14%
3. Jacksonville +9%
4. Louisville +5%
5. Birmingham +4%
6. New Orleans +2%
7. Memphis -1%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 01:20 PM

704 posts, read 443,732 times
Birmingham is the second most important city in its own state at this point. Raleigh and Jacksonville are far ahead of the rest.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:10 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Birmingham is the second most important city in its own state at this point. Raleigh and Jacksonville are far ahead of the rest.
Is this because of Huntsville?

Old 08-10-2021, 03:11 PM

704 posts, read 443,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Is this because of Huntsville?

Yes though some would argue Birmingham is still twice the size of Huntsville so it has more influence at a state level but nationally Huntsville has had the most notoriety lately as far as growth and companies/organizations locating there.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:17 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Yes though some would argue Birmingham is still twice the size of Huntsville so it has more influence at a state level but nationally Huntsville has had the most notoriety lately as far as growth and companies/organizations locating there.

It is an absurd statement. Birmingham is not exactly standing still. I like Huntsville, but no. In no way, shape or form will Huntsville supplant Birmingham in the next 50 years, if ever.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Birmingham has had the most improved urban center. The recent infrastructure upgrades, downtown investment, beginning revitalization of older areas, ability to attract strong student growth and major sporting events us evidence the city is on an upward trajectory. I believe if Birmingham can attract more tech jobs, the city may be the one to watch this decade.
Compared to Louisville? Absolutely no way. Louisville has more in everything, has more growth, GDP, population growth, etc. It's no comparison.

Also, Louisville still boasts superior restored neighborhoods. I was just in Birmingham again last month and have often contemplated moving there bc I think it can do what Louisville has done since 2010....but it is a half a notch behind and several years in gentrification behind. Think outside downtown....

Old 08-10-2021, 07:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Compared to Louisville? Absolutely no way. Louisville has more in everything, has more growth, GDP, population growth, etc. It's no comparison.

Also, Louisville still boasts superior restored neighborhoods. I was just in Birmingham again last month and have often contemplated moving there bc I think it can do what Louisville has done since 2010....but it is a half a notch behind and several years in gentrification behind. Think outside downtown....

Birmingham is actually beating out Louisville in the housing market right now (not to mention the housing market was growing 9% ever year between 2015-2020 in Birmingham while Louisville's market remained stagnant in that same time and in the Pandemic area Birmingham has been growing still several times more than Louisville has). No one can be sure how much Birmingham actually grew until the actual census comes out as Alabama is shorted 125k people and I'm willing to bet a big chunk of it will belong to the Birmingham area.

Birmingham's GDP is also growing at a slightly faster rate than Louisville. Not to mention, Birmingham has without a doubt outperformed Louisville (nearly all mid-sized metros at that) in the Pandemic Era and that momentum is continuing

Old 08-10-2021, 10:36 PM

109 posts, read 157,740 times
Richmond has the most growth potential, it's not a dingleberry on the northeast vine( absolutely silliness). VA is doing alot to expanded rail, and road traffic between HR and Richmond. 64 will be 6 lanes from Richmond to Norfolk, allowing more access to ports in HR. Ports Raleigh is actively looking to tap into. Richmond will also be the anchor for rail travel from the Northeast to southeast corridor. Richmond proximity to Washington as well as Norfolk gives it better location than every metro listed. 3 major interstates intersect the metro(85,95, and 64). The city is very well connected, and is really transforming fast.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:40 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
They are trying to upgrade the highway between Raleigh and Norfolk, but this isn’t the 1890s and port and rail access will only get you so much. Again, Raleigh is the outlier in this group.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:29 AM

346 posts, read 229,462 times
I always laugh at the high speed rail comments (no offense though), it's like going back a few decades in technology -- we'll get more self-driving cars (possibly flying) before we ever get that here in the U.S. If that's the sort of connectivity you think will bring cities together, think again, as self-driving cars will make that obsolete.

Last edited by rural & red; 08-11-2021 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City