Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 11:18 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I wasn’t really speaking of Austin specifically, just generally speaking. I’ve been employed by Google, Cisco, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, ect but I’ve never lived in California. Those have satellite offices in Austin, Raleigh Durham, Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, Seattle, and more.. Surely those cities are beneficiaries of the extra economic activity. Oracle and HPE for example while only recently firmly establishing their HQ locations in Texas, were actually performing HQ activity in Texas for quite some time before they officially relocated. So I’m just trying to figure out, outside of tax purposes, does the HQ location really matter when high level operations for most of these companies occur all over the country?

For a company like Delta I can see it because their activity is centralized around HJIA and operations revolve around it in terms of relaying flights. For Tech operations though it gets a bit more murkey. For example, Atlanta and Austin share Home Depot IT operation NOC’s. IBM has innovation labs (Watson Lab) in Austin, SFO, Boston (Cambridge) and a few other places that all perform similar operations.
Yeah I completely agree. United is one of Houston’s biggest employers even post merger. In fact, during COVID, they downsized their Chicago HQ, not Houston. Oracle still has San Jose post relo. It’s the same story over and over again. Having your headquarters in a city doesn’t mean what it meant decades ago now with communication infrastructure and the WFH trend is only piling on to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 11:19 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I remember 20 years ago when Boeing announced it was seeking a new HQ. It came down to Chicago, Dallas and Denver. They chose Chicago because the CEO said there was more "culture" there. Ironically, he retired to suburban Dallas. lol I was surprised they didn't chose DFW given that at the time, three large customers were based in Texas - American, SW and Continental
I actually like Houston the most out of Texas' cities--the people and culture and diversity is very reminiscient of here in some ways, yet it has its own identity.

Dallas likewise, is very diverse as well.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 6,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Texas media is really good at speculating about companies moving there. Chevron has been moving to Houston for darn near 30 years now.
The headline is from Triangle Business Journal Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill region.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSU2021 View Post
The headline is from Triangle Business Journal Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill region.
Wells Fargo to Charlotte rumors aren’t specific to Charlotte news sources either. They make these speculations before any major announcement just like they did with Tesla

Old 08-10-2021, 12:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Why? DFW is the more centrally located, a bigger airline hub, and a Bank regulatory hub which Charlotte is not. Wells has a much longer history in TX (over 35 years) than in the southeast. You can recruit from both he south and west of the Rockies much easier. There's no project falcon for the SE but there is for Texas.
Because Wells already has millions of sq ft in multiple towers in Charlotte. Charlotte's AA hub is plenty big enough for any company with a lot of travelers, and the relevant regulatory agencies are just down the road in Atlanta. Bank of America is HQ'd in Charlotte, and it hasn't held them back in any conceivable way. I would also rate Charlotte much higher than Dallas in quality of life. It's much more attractive, as well as having access to many more places of interest nearby.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:48 PM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Because Wells already has millions of sq ft in multiple towers in Charlotte. Charlotte's AA hub is plenty big enough for any company with a lot of travelers, and the relevant regulatory agencies are just down the road in Atlanta. Bank of America is HQ'd in Charlotte, and it hasn't held them back in any conceivable way. I would also rate Charlotte much higher than Dallas in quality of life. It's much more attractive, as well as having access to many more places of interest nearby.

Walker does biasedly think everything should be in Texas, but I wouldn't say Charlotte has a much higher QOL than Dallas or even higher period. It's a little cheaper yes but preferring Charlotte would probably be more of a personal preference for a smaller slower paced city. DFW has a good bit more amenities than Charlotte IMO but yeah from a natural scenery standpoint and proximity to destinations I would give that to Charlotte but that doesn't matter as much when you already live in a massive city with access to flights to anywhere.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Walker does biasedly think everything should be in Texas, but I wouldn't say Charlotte has a much higher QOL than Dallas or even higher period. It's a little cheaper yes but preferring Charlotte would probably be more of a personal preference for a smaller slower paced city. DFW has a good bit more amenities than Charlotte IMO but yeah from a natural scenery standpoint and proximity to destinations I would give that to Charlotte but that doesn't matter as much when you already live in a massive city with access to flights to anywhere.
Location matters a lot to me, and I'll take the lush Piedmont over the Prarie every time. I have 4 friends that work for AT&T. Their division moved to Dallas, and all 4 refused to go. They got some pushback initially, but they all work remotely in Atlanta now. One of them told me that only 3 people out of 30 in her department made the move out there, those that were turned down for WFH quit. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:58 PM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Location matters a lot to me, and I'll take the lush Piedmont over the Prarie every time. I have 4 friends that work for AT&T. Their division moved to Dallas, and all 4 refused to go. They got some pushback initially, but they all work remotely in Atlanta now. One of them told me that only 3 people out of 30 in her department made the move out there, those that were turned down for WFH quit. I'm not the only one that feels this way.
That's one side of it but a lot of people prefer the DFW area as well given how massive the growth has been there the past few years. They don't all necessarily hate Atlanta but some prefer DFW over it for many reasons, the better opportunities in general in DFW, the horrible traffic and planning on the metro Atlanta area, higher crime etc. I feel like on city-data you always get the extreme versions of it either people like Walker who says everything negative about Atlanta or people in Atlanta that try to paint DFW as some awful place that just isn't desirable.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Texas media is really good at speculating about companies moving there. Chevron has been moving to Houston for darn near 30 years now.
Right!!!

I remember when Chevron bought and demolished that old YMCA building in Downtown Houston people were already imagining the headquarters there. But that was like 10 years ago.

If Wells Fargo moves I think they should move to North Dakota

Old 08-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Right!!!

I remember when Chevron bought and demolished that old YMCA building in Downtown Houston people were already imagining the headquarters there. But that was like 10 years ago.

If Wells Fargo moves I think they should move to North Dakota
They still built the towers there and hired 10K+ high paying jobs. People hold too much weight on a headquarters registration location

https://www.richarddavisphotography....ron-Towers.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City