Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:06 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
If OP is Indian and wanted to find an Indian partner they would likely prefer Inman Square or Central Square in Cambridge or even North Quincy over Seaport. Seaport doesn't have much of anyon who is not white (89% white)
No doubt, but OP has another thread where he talks about loving Streeterville in Chicago.

Streeterville is like Seaport without quite as much commercial stuff built in the neighborhood. Newer, sterile, etc.

What is the massive development in DC that would be a cousin to Seaport? I can't think of the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 01:08 PM

117 posts, read 80,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I find people who LOVE Chicago, LOVE Boston. Both are extremely clean, vibrant, beautiful from a walking standpoint, have diverse, great food options, and have adamant sports fans. Chicago is cheaper, Boston has better weather. Chicgao is more desolute, Boston is 2 hours to Mountains, Beaches, other cities and cliffs.. whatever the coast entails.
You forgot to mention that these cities are complete opposites when it comes to nightlife. Chicago has one of the best in the country, while Boston has a very sleepy and restricted nightlife scene.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:10 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I found this to be true for both Bostonians and Chicagoans. Across the board.

but I think dc is a better match with chicago
Yeah i think so too. However with his ultra high rise priority, I was hesitant.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:11 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
No doubt, but OP has another thread where he talks about loving Streeterville in Chicago.

Streeterville is like Seaport without quite as much commercial stuff built in the neighborhood. Newer, sterile, etc.

What is the massive development in DC that would be a cousin to Seaport? I can't think of the name.
NoMa, the Warf, Southwest DC, they ave a few areas like that. It's cleaner than Boston too. As a rule of thumb.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
You forgot to mention that these cities are complete opposites when it comes to nightlife. Chicago has one of the best in the country, while Boston has a very sleepy and restricted nightlife scene.
Hey.. Massachusetts will put happy hour on the ballot in 2022! Things might change lol. 71% of Bay Staters want the ban to end. Maybe we are moving in the right direction up there?

Maybe Boston’s nightlife scene will go from a 4 to a 6 lol

Old 08-10-2021, 01:59 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Isn't Boston more expensive than even NYC these days?

My vote goes to Philadelphia. Inner northern NJ could also be good, I don't know much about that area.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

My vote goes to Philadelphia. Inner northern NJ could also be good, I don't know much about that area.
New York has higher highs in the core.. but Boston stays consistently expensive outside the core because there is very little supply, whereas, NYC drops off considerably especially into Westchester County and NJ. Like my rent in a new build in NJ on a transit stop 25 minutes outside Manhattan is literally 2/3 the cost I was paying for a room in a 6 bedroom house built in 1922 in a crappy neighborhood in Boston that wasn't even that desirable when I moved there lol.

You can get a good townhome or condo that doesn't look like a complete gut job or under 300k in the Greater NYC area (cough nj cough), you can't in Boston Area. However, if you want to live on the 40th floor of a building in downtown, Manhattan will be 1.5-3x more expensive than in Downtown Boston.

Since we are only talking about high rises, Boston is still a lot cheaper than Manhattan (Not Brooklyn though).

So my votes would go to Brooklyn, Boston, Jersey City, and even some parts of Queens like LIC.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:32 PM

158 posts, read 144,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Boston is definitely more expensive than NYC. I love Boston, lived there for 3 years and have also lived in NYC as well. If I had to choose between the two again I would definitely choose NYC. Mostly due to the social aspect. I found NYC very easy to meet people and make friends. That was not the case in Boston, which can be cold both socially and weather wise. I found it to be very provincial. Beautiful city though and close to some gorgeous charming New England towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City