Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 11:13 PM

291 posts, read 201,786 times

Advertisements

I've been working remotely in Dallas for a little less than a year now, living with parents rent free. I just turned 33, pull in six figures, and am single. I've lived in Chicago for about 4.5 years downtown in Streeterville, 2 years in Lakeview, and 1.5 years in Naperville.

I guess the reason for making the thread is to figure out, does anything really compare? What I love about Chicago is the following:

1) Cleanliness
2) Beauty (the lakefront, organization of the city, buildings)
3) Cost of living
4) High-rise living
5) Food options
6) Diversity of people
7) Fashion sense

What I don't like is:

1) Weather during the winter/fall, it's too extreme and long
2) Big 10 frat boy types, sports bros, predominately midwestern vibes
3) Lack of proximity to anywhere interesting

I have always wanted to move to the east coast but after seeing the vaccine passports being rolled out in NYC, I am almost at the point of foregoing that option. I had originally planned to stay in Jersey City for a year before evaluating further, but it seems like they will follow with that policy shortly.

My primary aim is to find someone from my heritage to settle down with (indian) and buy property, and I thought that would've been made much easier living in Jersey City, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route if vaccine passports become mandated there. What other options does that leave me with on the east coast? Should I be considering a suburb?

I thought about just going back to Chicago but I don't ever want to go back into the office again, and I would feel bad for not taking the chance to explore somewhere new since I have the chance to do that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 07:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Chicago is an awesome city. I live in Manhattan and my boyfriend lives in Chicago, so I am super familiar with both.

And any large East Coast City will offer similar positives, less COL and cleanliness. If you have time, explore DC and Philadelphia. Both lively, dynamic cities. Philadelphia has more of an NYC vibe, while DC is a different vibe than any of them.

For the vaccine part, NYC is the only major city to implement a sweeping mandate, DC has an indoor mask mandate, Philadelphia has no mandate, but a growing number of private businesses are requiring proof of vaccine. That is a trend you will see in most major cities. Curious, would proof of vaccination affect your QOL? (as in not vaccinated).

There are a number of cities others will mention, but NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Boston would be my top choices. As far as heritage, I am not sure about the Indian community or suburbs with a large presence, but I am sure someone on here knows.

(You can always go back to Chicago too).

Old 08-10-2021, 09:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
NYC/NJ definitely seems like your best overall option.

It checks every box on your list aside from cost of living. Is the vaccine passport really that big of a deal breaker?

Maybe take a closer look at the DMV if you want an alternative.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:45 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
As regards the vax passport...

Ever heard of a Speakeasy?

Old 08-10-2021, 11:31 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Unfortunately there are less than a handful of cities in this country that can match Chicago in terms of Urbanity, CoL, transit, food, walkability, ect.

The only two issues I have with Chicago are the crime and weather.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:35 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I find people who LOVE Chicago, LOVE Boston. Both are extremely clean, vibrant, beautiful from a walking standpoint, have diverse, great food options, and have adamant sports fans. Chicago is cheaper, Boston has better weather. Chicgao is more desolute, Boston is 2 hours to Mountains, Beaches, other cities and cliffs.. whatever the coast entails.

New York City is great, but its nowhere near as clean as Chicago and the cost of living is pretty extraordinary in a high rise. You won't be getting that same quality.

Jersey City is a great option.

My top 3 would go:
1. Jersey City
2. Boston
3. Brooklyn

Old 08-10-2021, 12:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I've been working remotely in Dallas for a little less than a year now, living with parents rent free. I just turned 33, pull in six figures, and am single. I've lived in Chicago for about 4.5 years downtown in Streeterville, 2 years in Lakeview, and 1.5 years in Naperville.

I guess the reason for making the thread is to figure out, does anything really compare? What I love about Chicago is the following:

1) Cleanliness
2) Beauty (the lakefront, organization of the city, buildings)
3) Cost of living
4) High-rise living
5) Food options
6) Diversity of people
7) Fashion sense

What I don't like is:

1) Weather during the winter/fall, it's too extreme and long
2) Big 10 frat boy types, sports bros, predominately midwestern vibes
3) Lack of proximity to anywhere interesting

I have always wanted to move to the east coast but after seeing the vaccine passports being rolled out in NYC, I am almost at the point of foregoing that option. I had originally planned to stay in Jersey City for a year before evaluating further, but it seems like they will follow with that policy shortly.

My primary aim is to find someone from my heritage to settle down with (indian) and buy property, and I thought that would've been made much easier living in Jersey City, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route if vaccine passports become mandated there. What other options does that leave me with on the east coast? Should I be considering a suburb?

I thought about just going back to Chicago but I don't ever want to go back into the office again, and I would feel bad for not taking the chance to explore somewhere new since I have the chance to do that now.
DC and Boston are pretty good fits in the North. Neither will satisfy the high rise + cost of living comparison, but would satisfy the rest - particularly beauty, diversity, varying fashion, and location on bodies of water. Sounds like you'd really like Seaport in Boston. DC has a similar comp, though it's not coming to me right now.

But I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at San Diego. Rent is not quite as high as one would imagine, it's clean, it's fairly well designed, A+ weather. Plenty of ethnic and local eats and watering holes.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:53 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I find people who LOVE Chicago, LOVE Boston.
I found this to be true for both Bostonians and Chicagoans. Across the board.

but I think dc is a better match with chicago

Old 08-10-2021, 12:58 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
DC and Boston are pretty good fits in the North. Neither will satisfy the high rise + cost of living comparison, but would satisfy the rest - particularly beauty, diversity, varying fashion, and location on bodies of water. Sounds like you'd really like Seaport in Boston. DC has a similar comp, though it's not coming to me right now.

But I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at San Diego. Rent is not quite as high as one would imagine, it's clean, it's fairly well designed, A+ weather. Plenty of ethnic and local eats and watering holes.
High Rise living is available in Boston, jus not much ultra highrise that isnt ultra priced lol.

If OP is Indian and wanted to find an Indian partner they would likely prefer Inman Square or Central Square in Cambridge or even North Quincy over Seaport. Seaport doesn't have much of anyon who is not white (89% white)

Old 08-10-2021, 01:05 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I would suggest NYC.

The vaccination passport is no big deal--most restaurants and bars ask you offer a glance at it before going in. It's just like showing your ID.

Other cities will most likely follow NYC's lead. San Francisco is already considering it I have read, as-is LA.

NYC will be much larger and offers much more on a large scale, than Chicago. The winters here are much less extreme on the whole too, than Chicago.

Chicago is an incredible city overall, but crime and weather are the big "cons" you'll hear usually, from everyone, about Chicago. Also, the city sits smack dab in the middle of the midwestern US of course, so it draws all the midwest folks searching for "big city life."

NYC is far more cosmopolitan, just due to the fact that it is almost 3 times bigger. (city population)

The biggest "con" for NYC is cost. But apartment prices have softened somewhat due to COVID-19, but in some neighborhoods, are back on the rise again. Just check around and you should still be able to snag a deal.

For 2nd and 3rd options, check out Philadelphia or Boston. Those are 2 of my favorite US cities, and have NYC vibes on much smaller scales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City