Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 12:03 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
We are also interested not so much in Boston proper or Seattle proper, but the surrounding neighborhoods (20-30 minutes out). Any chance anyone could help us point things out or opinions? thank you.
I've lived outside of both- Bellevue and Cambridge (and further suburbs)- like some other posters in this forum.

Access to nature and better nature, is substantially better around Seattle. Nothing like it to me, outside of SLC and Denver. Wake up, brush teeth, starbucks, drive east.

But there are far more, and far better cities and towns 20-30 minutes outside of Boston - coastal, inland, and commercial hubs. This goes for both inner ring cities and suburbs, as well as further reaching commuter suburbs. Just more, nicer and more accessible in Boston.

I notice a lot of folks making this a Seattle vs. Boston debate. I don't think it's supposed to be that.

OP, when it comes to suburbs and near neighborhoods, Boston is certainly a step up from Seattle. Seattle doesn't really have an answer to all of the cities and towns that you'd find unique and might be a fit. Not a shot at Seattle, but when Redmond and Sammamish are two of your gold plated cities/suburbs, it doesn't make me feel super excited about the MSA. Kirkland, to me, is the crown jewel suburb, but I digress..

When it comes down to moderate weather and the types of nature you'll utilize, nobody's opinion matters except for yours. If that's what you prefer, that debate is settled. The only thing you'll really miss out on is summers in Eastern Massachusetts. To me, that is nearly irreplaceable. We spent our time down the Cape, on the Islands, in Northern New England. I like the water/boating/fishing culture, with so many towns and cities to explore. But, winters are dreadful if you don't like snow and cold. A tradeoff I made (and still make, for now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
I would rather fly from Seattle to Hawaii or Mexico, which should be easy since the OP is not having kids.
You’re not flying to Hawaii in a Saturday afternoon cause it’s kinda hot out.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:37 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The only thing you'll really miss out on is summers in Eastern Massachusetts. To me, that is nearly irreplaceable. We spent our time down the Cape, on the Islands, in Northern New England. I like the water/boating/fishing culture, with so many towns and cities to explore. But, winters are dreadful if you don't like snow and cold. A tradeoff I made (and still make, for now).
Fall in Eastern Mass is pretty nice too!

Old 08-11-2021, 12:41 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Yeah, I love October in Coastal New England, whether it be MA RI ME or NH. Nothing beats October vibes better than Upstate New York and New England.

I definitely took MA summers for granted, where in NJ we are constantly disgustingly muggy and there's a lot of days over 90F. Like the next two days are 97 and 99... with high humidity. Boston is 95 and 96 with average humidity, big difference.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
True, but it ain't too shabby in PNW. The mix of foliage and tall pines is gorgeous with mountains in perview.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:33 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah, I love October in Coastal New England, whether it be MA RI ME or NH. Nothing beats October vibes better than Upstate New York and New England.

I definitely took MA summers for granted, where in NJ we are constantly disgustingly muggy and there's a lot of days over 90F. Like the next two days are 97 and 99... with high humidity. Boston is 95 and 96 with average humidity, big difference.
The real feel in Boston today and tomorrow and friday is supposed to be 99 103 and 103. Eastern MA summers are nice but it's still pretty humid IMO. Much better than Bmore though. And seemingly less rainy than NJ.

Real feel in Lowell will reach 109, 105 in Brockton and 106 in Quincy

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/...t-it-will-get/

Old 08-11-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The real feel in Boston today and tomorrow and friday is supposed to be 99 103 and 103. Eastern MA summers are nice but it's still pretty humid IMO. Much better than Bmore though. And seemingly less rainy than NJ.

Real feel in Lowell will reach 109, 105 in Brockton and 106 in Quincy

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/...t-it-will-get/
Well i dont like hot summers and too much sun annoys me lmao.

Ideal summer for me would be like Maine. Or like Southern NH? idk maybe around there. Even MA gets too hot.

Ive been burning here in NJ. My parents are drowning in the Carolina Humidity so i cant complain.

To me Seattles weather is ideal. Literally ideal.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well i dont like hot summers and too much sun annoys me lmao.

Ideal summer for me would be like Maine. Or like Southern NH? idk maybe around there. Even MA gets too hot.

Ive been burning here in NJ. My parents are drowning in the Carolina Humidity so i cant complain.

To me Seattles weather is ideal. Literally ideal.
It's cool in the summers in Seattle. Average August lows in the 50s, average highs in the mid 70s.

It's great for a lot of things, but the beach isn't one of them. Water temps only get up to 55 degrees at peak too.

To put it in perspective, some areas of MA get up to 74/75 degrees water temps. Low to mid 80s being the standard in summer. Pretty nice combo when down the Cape or on the Islands.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It's cool in the summers in Seattle. Average August lows in the 50s, average highs in the mid 70s.

It's great for a lot of things, but the beach isn't one of them. Water temps only get up to 55 degrees at peak too.

To put it in perspective, some areas of MA get up to 74/75 degrees water temps. Low to mid 80s being the standard in summer. Pretty nice combo when down the Cape or on the Islands.
Yeah I understand beaches aren't Seattle's thing. But the comfortability blows Boston out of the water. (imo...). Seattle's weather is hard to beat... unless you like sun.

I would never swim off WA coast because of how frigid the waters are lol. For that MA wins beaches because very few states do outside HI CA and FL.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:09 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Yes beaches are a Seattle thing. We have several within city limits that can be mob scenes in the summer. The ones on lakes (Lake Washington etc.) are probably a lot better for swimming than the ones on Puget Sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City