Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:47 PM

153 posts, read 131,955 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data folks, I'll start by saying this website is the best, hidden-gem site's I've ever found, I love the community and the wealth of resources and knowledge.

I'll keep this simple! My wife and I are an NP and PA, both cities pay well. We can't decide between them and need a push one way or another. We golf, cycle for fun/commute, love to eat at restaurants that have little tables and chairs outside, are in our 30's no kids (nor will there be), and enjoy a quiet nice lifestyle. Both places have "bad winters" for different reasons, Seattle has more laid-back people, Boston is more sincere, etc, I know the main points most people make. We are also interested not so much in Boston proper or Seattle proper, but the surrounding neighborhoods (20-30 minutes out). Any chance anyone could help us point things out or opinions? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 01:49 PM

21,672 posts, read 12,818,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Hi City-Data folks, I'll start by saying this website is the best, hidden-gem site's I've ever found, I love the community and the wealth of resources and knowledge.

I'll keep this simple! My wife and I are an NP and PA, both cities pay well. We can't decide between them and need a push one way or another. We golf, cycle for fun/commute, love to eat at restaurants that have little tables and chairs outside, are in our 30's no kids (nor will there be), and enjoy a quiet nice lifestyle. Both places have "bad winters" for different reasons, Seattle has more laid-back people, Boston is more sincere, etc, I know the main points most people make. We are also interested not so much in Boston proper or Seattle proper, but the surrounding neighborhoods (20-30 minutes out). Any chance anyone could help us point things out or opinions? thank you.
I think Seattle is a little better for cycling. I don't know about golf Boston seems alright though. Seattle probably has more outdoor dining.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:56 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Seattle is an awesome city and wins outdoor and cycling hands down.

Boston definitely has more restaurants that are outside until October. I was just in Boston and the North End and South End are crazy... even in East Boston and Back Bay.. outdoors everything lol. When I was in Seattle, it wasn't as apparent. It should be though.. the weather is better.

My uncle is a golf pro and I golf a lot. Boston wins that. Theres a lot of country clubs and private golf courses around.. not too hard to gain entry too. Some notables include Granite Links in Quincy (On a hill with skyline views) and the Kitansett Club (On a peninsula island). Newton also has fantastic country clubs and courses. I haven't golfed in Boston outside Granite Links, Ponkapoag and Milton CC... but they were awesome. Not SC good.. but still, amazing.

But, what's your budget? I would say your criteria leans Boston... but you can't go wrong with Seattle.

And if there no kids in sight, travelling out of Boston can be cheaper too with great connections out of Logan to the Caribbean, Europe, etc. Aer Lingus to Ireland or the UK can be as low as $400 roundtrip.

Both are great.. I'l give Boston a small edge 3-2 on your criteria.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Boston definitely has more restaurants that are outside until October. I was just in Boston and the North End and South End are crazy... even in East Boston and Back Bay.. outdoors everything lol. When I was in Seattle, it wasn't as apparent. It should be though.. the weather is better.

My uncle is a golf pro and I golf a lot. Boston wins that. Theres a lot of country clubs and private golf courses around.. not too hard to gain entry too. Some notables include Granite Links in Quincy (On a hill with skyline views) and the Kitansett Club (On a peninsula island). Newton also has fantastic country clubs and courses. I haven't golfed in Boston outside Granite Links, Ponkapoag and Milton CC... but they were awesome. Not SC good.. but still, amazing.

But, what's your budget? I would say your criteria leans Boston... but you can't go wrong with Seattle.

And if there no kids in sight, travelling out of Boston can be cheaper too with great connections out of Logan to the Caribbean, Europe, etc. Aer Lingus to Ireland or the UK can be as low as $400 roundtrip.

that's due to pandemic regs. Boston was the most anti-outdoor-seating city id ever seen prior to this. And those are set to expire in 2022.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:01 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
that's due to pandemic regs. Boston was the most anti-outdoor-seating city id ever seen prior to this. And those are set to expire in 2022.
Yeah I was going to say, it could be because of the pandemic.

But they would be really dumb to get rid of it. Boston looks 10x more vibrant and all... hopefully the pandemic is a wakeup call to reverse the inability to change with time.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I feel like both cities have similar cost. Especially comparing let’s say Waltham or Melrose to Bothell or green lake in WA. We bring in about 240k pre tax. Per year. With 20% down we’re looking at max of 1.1mil for housing but obviously wanna spend less.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,426,894 times
No state income tax in Seattle.

Seattle area housing stock in general is a lot newer than Boston area. Lots of properties have views of the mountains or bodies of water. There’s not a huge housing premium for views in Seattle since it’s so common.

If you like beaches, Boston wins. If you like real hiking, cycling and winter snow activities, Seattle wins. Having lived in Boston and now in Seattle, Seattle winters are a lot easier to deal with, the outdoors are much more accessible year round.

City neighborhoods in Seattle are quite lively with a ton of character and local flair, while surroundings towns of Boston are more interesting than the suburbs of Seattle.

Last edited by Guineas; 08-10-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
No state income tax in Seattle.

Seattle area housing stock in general is a lot newer than Boston area. Lots of properties have views of the mountains or bodies of water.

If you like beaches, Boston wins. If you like real hiking, cycling and winter snow activities, Seattle wins. Having lived in Boston and now in Seattle, Seattle winters are a lot easier to deal with, the outdoors are much more accessible year round.
I think this answer makes me choose Seattle. Wanting to be able to kayak, golf etc more days out of the year

Old 08-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah I was going to say, it could be because of the pandemic.

But they would be really dumb to get rid of it. Boston looks 10x more vibrant and all... hopefully the pandemic is a wakeup call to reverse the inability to change with time.
Lol you know north end residents have already begun rallying to get rid of it...

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/07/...staurants/?amp

Old 08-10-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lol you know north end residents have already begun rallying to get rid of it...

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/07/...staurants/?amp
I meant like bistros and cafes that put out tables year round for nice dining outdoors not the covid forced outdoor stuff haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City