Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 07:24 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
George H W Bush, the father, declared a hotel room at the Ritz in Houston as his legal
address while he was VP and President. It’s like the entertainment industry all declaring metro Nashville as their address to avoid California and New York State taxes. Florida is a really common faux legal address. I know retired people who declare a small condo there they visit occasionally as their legal address to avoid Northeast Corridor states income tax. If you’re retired and pulling $100k+ in pensions and 401(k) RMDs, the condo pays for itself in savings on state taxes.
I'd look at getting a little condo in Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 07:57 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I'd say cost of living is the primary reason I've heard anyone move to Texas. I don't know why TX posters get so defensive about that. It's not that TX is bad (I really don't think it is) it's just that's definitely the primary WHY people move there. There is a good wage to COL ratio.

What are the other reasons?
More than just "good wage to COL ratio" there are very good career options in DFW and Houston. I mean Seattle would be much better for the tech industry, but in any other professional capacity you are probably better off in Dallas.

Basically, if you are trying to raise a family and also have a career, Texas can add up.

Austin used to be the "lifestyle" Texas city to live in, but with the growth in a tech we are now seeing people move here for this reason as well. Personally I'm not a fan, as there is nothing more boring than these tech workers family types, but what can you do...

Old 08-17-2021, 08:21 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
^ ^ ^

You make a good point, not to mention DFW is a corporate HQ mecca and has tech (I worked for that big semiconductor company based in Richardson).

Browsing CD, one might (incorrectly) get the impression tech is the only field that pays well—as if law, medicine, brand management, management consulting, and finance (rarely mentioned here)—among other fields—are not.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-17-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 09:11 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times
I just read through this whole thread but didn’t see a mention of Charleston, S.C. (Maybe I overlooked it.) Is that favorable or unfavorable? Y’all come.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:15 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I just read through this whole thread but didn’t see a mention of Charleston, S.C. (Maybe I overlooked it.) Is that favorable or unfavorable? Y’all come.
I think it gets generally favorable opinions. Though per city data culture the further a city get's away from that 2 million metro mark it gets discussed less and less. Charleston like a lot of up and coming cities tend to be more obscure than opined on here. There isn't an option for overlooked in the OP though.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:25 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I think it depends on the context here. A lot of the stat based threads give Austin props for it's measured performance in various areas. A lot of subjective threads crap on Austin. Texas posters on here are definitely the most salty about Austin, for the reason you mentioned. In real life Austin gets a huge amount of hate from right wing small town Texas, but I don't see Houston or DFW boosters hating on Austin like you do here. That's largely because in real life I don't see many big Houston or DFW boosters in the first place; most people in those cities are fairly chill about it.

Austin also has a phenomena both on here and in real life that it's national profile is relatively oversized. As a result it's always often being compared to other cities way outside of its weight class. For example it is very common in real life to hear about all of the ways that Austin doesn't stack up to LA or SF, as if that's surprising. The city has a very transient population with many people moving both directions (though obviously more in than out).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, in real life, most people from Dallas and Houston tend to like Austin and I'd bet more of the non-natives that are in Austin are from both of those cities. Suburbs and the far right wing towns in Texas hate Austin because it's the capitol and super liberal. It would seem everyone here, Texan or not, is pretty negative on Austin, even the ones who haven't been here. I even see posters from San Diego hate on Austin and I'm like "why? Austin has nothing on SD except for growth."

Most Houston and Dallas folk I know either admit that "yes Austin is cooler but my priorities have changed" or they say " I never thought I'd like it here, but Dallas works for me for a variety of reasons, yes it's hot, we know."

Around the country, and again, I've lived in almost all corners, Austin is very well thought of.
The Austinite elitism rears it's ugly head once again. Here's something strange I noticed about a good chunk of Austinites, being self center about their city is a bit of a past time there. Austin prides itself on being a completely different universe than every other city in TX or so some like to believe.

I've been to many different cities all across America. Some much more greater than Austin yet Austin is probably the one city I go to where every now and then I'll hear a condescending response when I tell people I'm visiting from Houston. Even though I have a ton of nice genuine interaction between natives and transplants in the city every now and then you'll run into those type of people. I didn't even experience that in LA, Bay Area or NYC. Well there was this old Italian owner in SF who made an outdated stereotype about Houston from his visit in the 60s but outside of that no issues.

Now on the flip side the reality on C-D and even outside of it is some Austinites are super sensitive when it comes to any form of criticism of Austin. And if you happen to be from Houston or Dallas than you have no business critiquing Austin. Because Houston and Dallas is generally envious of Austin.

Truth be told, aside from older conservatives, Austin is not that hated even in the state of Texas. I know some Austinites want to be public enemy #1 cause a lot don't want to be associated with the state period. A ton of transplants who move to Austin have no connection to anything outside of the Hill Country. If you think the shade is strong when you mention Houston or Dallas just bring up East Texas and watch the eyes roll to the back of their heads. You might as well should have said Mississippi.

But all in all I even know of young White conservatives who enjoy going to Austin every now and then despite hating the local politics. Who in Texas hasn't partied on Sixth street during their college and early 20's?

And for the record I like Austin. I've actually said if Austin had a bigger Black population I'd prefer to live there before any other city in Texas. But Austin is not perfect(not just the invisible Black and Brown issue in the city center). No city is perfect but there's genuine criticism that yall label as hating and it's mostly due to the fact you guys can't take it. And some of it is because deep down you have a disdain for cities like Houston and Dallas. And that's ok Houston and Dallas has a lot to dislike. I just wish yall would admit that's what it is.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:46 AM

276 posts, read 168,500 times
I think Atlanta gets lots more love on here than in real life. The first question our uber driver in LA asked us when we told him we were from Atlanta was if we ate a lot of butter.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:00 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The Austinite elitism rears it's ugly head once again. Here's something strange I noticed about a good chunk of Austinites, being self center about their city is a bit of a past time there. Austin prides itself on being a completely different universe than every other city in TX or so some like to believe.

I've been to many different cities all across America. Some much more greater than Austin yet Austin is probably the one city I go to where every now and then I'll hear a condescending response when I tell people I'm visiting from Houston. Even though I have a ton of nice genuine interaction between natives and transplants in the city every now and then you'll run into those type of people. I didn't even experience that in LA, Bay Area or NYC. Well there was this old Italian owner in SF who made an outdated stereotype about Houston from his visit in the 60s but outside of that no issues.

Now on the flip side the reality on C-D and even outside of it is some Austinites are super sensitive when it comes to any form of criticism of Austin. And if you happen to be from Houston or Dallas than you have no business critiquing Austin. Because Houston and Dallas is generally envious of Austin.

Truth be told, aside from older conservatives, Austin is not that hated even in the state of Texas. I know some Austinites want to be public enemy #1 cause a lot don't want to be associated with the state period. A ton of transplants who move to Austin have no connection to anything outside of the Hill Country. If you think the shade is strong when you mention Houston or Dallas just bring up East Texas and watch the eyes roll to the back of their heads. You might as well should have said Mississippi.

But all in all I even know of young White conservatives who enjoy going to Austin every now and then despite hating the local politics. Who in Texas hasn't partied on Sixth street during their college and early 20's?

And for the record I like Austin. I've actually said if Austin had a bigger Black population I'd prefer to live there before any other city in Texas. But Austin is not perfect(not just the invisible Black and Brown issue in the city center). No city is perfect but there's genuine criticism that yall label as hating and it's mostly due to the fact you guys can't take it. And some of it is because deep down you have a disdain for cities like Houston and Dallas. And that's ok Houston and Dallas has a lot to dislike. I just wish yall would admit that's what it is.
I mean I completely agree that Austinites are much more stuck up about their city than are Dallas or Houston residents. That was my point, in real life I'm not sure I've ever met someone that was a hardcore Dallasite. You see that on this web site where you will have a Dallas or Houston fan who will passionately argue for why it is better than Austin. People I meet in real life don't tend to do that, they just live in DFW or Houston for whatever career or family reason. I don't see DFW or Houston residents acting like it's the greatest city in the universe; that's more of an Austin quality.

As far as small town Texas, just look at the actions of the state government. Clearly ****ing with Austin for the hell of it plays well with the constituents.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:01 PM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
I think Atlanta gets lots more love on here than in real life. The first question our uber driver in LA asked us when we told him we were from Atlanta was if we ate a lot of butter.
Using the impressions that people from California have about the rest of the country may not be the best litmus test for the overall impressions everyone has on a place. The first time I was in San Francisco I was at a 49'ers game when the locals found out I was from the Midwest they asked if I had ever been to a stadium that big.........I'm from Chicago.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:06 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Deleted ..it was off topic and I don't wanna get accused of highjacking the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City