Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The decadal population change in the city of Pittsburgh was -72,474 in 1960, -84,215 in 1970, -96,179 in 1980, -54,059 in 1990, -35,316 in 2000, and -28,859 in 2010, so you'll have to pardon me if I'm not losing sleep over -2,733 in 2020. That's nothing compared to the recent past. It used to be much, much worse.

Furthermore, the decadal change in the Pittsburgh MSA was +14,645 in 2020, and in Allegheny County it was +27,230. And this all happened despite Pittsburgh being the only major MSA in the United States with negative natural growth (more deaths than births), which means that more people voted with their feet in favor of the Pittsburgh MSA than against it for the first time in 60 years. The improved image is beginning to pay off.

I've been to 34 states in this country, and the most unwelcome I've ever felt has been in some of the desert towns in California, Nevada and Arizona. This ain't a Pennsylvania thing; it's a small town thing.
Sorry, I stand by my claim. The Northern reaches of Adams County in particular. Even though the area is scenic, the general population is just bitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 10:13 AM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I've been to 34 states in this country, and the most unwelcome I've ever felt has been in some of the desert towns in California, Nevada and Arizona. This ain't a Pennsylvania thing; it's a small town thing.
To me, South Florida and Orlando by far the most rude sections of this country. I wouldnt say I didnt feel welcome there, its just a big ball of indifference.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:12 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
To me, South Florida and Orlando by far the most rude sections of this country. I wouldnt say I didnt feel welcome there, its just a big ball of indifference.
I'm with you on South Florida, they make the NYC/Tri-State feel warm and fuzzy. I'm surprised to hear this about Orlando, though. That only happened to me once there, it was my first (and last) visit to one of those Walmart neighborhood markets. It was like entering some bizarro Twilight Zone of rude, nasty people.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:59 PM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
The only place we're gonna get realistic 'what do real people think' statistics is from well-conducted polls. Not 'people I know.' FFS.

I see two camps of denizens on here. There are those who hate taxes and love cars and like to moan that 'nobody' in C-D appreciates their flyover stripmall paradise, no matter how much its suburban GDP has unsustainably grown. And despite their proclaimed perpetual victimhood, there are plenty of these people infesting this board.

Then there are the urbanists who know what actually makes a city great. They've read their Jane Jacobs and their Robert Caro, and they can separate the wheat from the chaff. And boy is there a lot of chaff. These people appreciate the usual suspects: Boston, NYC, SF.

The poor Chicago and Philly people have had a rough time of it, but most Chicago haters are in the first camp and mainline Fox News for their opinions, so the Chitowners and Phillites can probably rest easy.

DC is the city that baffles me here. I'm guessing it's too small, quirky, and quiet for the urbanists, and the car-and-tax people loathe it for obvious reasons.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:45 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It most absolutely does go toe to toe with some of the most backwoods areas of the South. Some of the most insular, unfriendly and downright unwelcoming small towns I have ever encountered are in Pennsylvania.
James Carville Quote: “Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.â€

https://quotefancy.com/quote/1125310...ama-in-between

Old 09-16-2021, 03:03 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
DC is the city that baffles me here. I'm guessing it's too small, quirky, and quiet for the urbanists, and the car-and-tax people loathe it for obvious reasons.
I wouldn't call DC quirky at all. It's probably the most white-bread and conformist out of the dense urban cities.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The comments you hear in jersey about philly :skull emoji:
From my short stint in south Jersey, Philadelphians were pretty dismissive of Jersey.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:40 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
+1

Let's give Jersey credit though... Nobody appreciates Philadelphia more than South Jersey residents, albeit there is a difference between living in and periodically visiting a city. When you honestly think about it, there's no state that hates it's primary city more than PA.
For starters, Georgia and Alabama give PA a huge run for its money.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:14 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
The only place we're gonna get realistic 'what do real people think' statistics is from well-conducted polls. Not 'people I know.' FFS.

I see two camps of denizens on here. There are those who hate taxes and love cars and like to moan that 'nobody' in C-D appreciates their flyover stripmall paradise, no matter how much its suburban GDP has unsustainably grown. And despite their proclaimed perpetual victimhood, there are plenty of these people infesting this board.

Then there are the urbanists who know what actually makes a city great. They've read their Jane Jacobs and their Robert Caro, and they can separate the wheat from the chaff. And boy is there a lot of chaff. These people appreciate the usual suspects: Boston, NYC, SF.

The poor Chicago and Philly people have had a rough time of it, but most Chicago haters are in the first camp and mainline Fox News for their opinions, so the Chitowners and Phillites can probably rest easy.

Those are the two extremes; most fall somewhere along the middle of that spectrum. The fact that you've put one put one extreme in the favorable category in repulsive response to the other says more about you than about the "camps" of C-D posters.

Talk about lack of objectivity and implicit bias.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 09-16-2021 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-16-2021, 08:30 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From my short stint in south Jersey, Philadelphians were pretty dismissive of Jersey.
Lets be fair here.

Everyone is dismissive of Jersey lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City