Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 12:27 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Totally agree. Nobody has a running count in their head except us CD dorks. They may have a tier like you said, like I did:

NYC

LA

Chi

DC

SF, Hou, Dal, ATl, Boston, Philly, Miami, Phoenix
I'd replace DC with SF in my experience, but the point of the post is largely true.

I work in tech, so at work, places like Seattle, Austin, Boston are talked about more than Miami, Phoenix, Philly, Houston. But I recognize the fact that not everyone works in tech, nor do they care about those cities in that context.

As a more general statement, if I were to talk to folks on the block or friends, DC, Boston, Seattle, Philly would all be Tiered similarly, each with strengths depending on the conversation. They don't give it more thought than that, aside from a preference between cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 01:10 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'd replace DC with SF in my experience, but the point of the post is largely true.

I work in tech, so at work, places like Seattle, Austin, Boston are talked about more than Miami, Phoenix, Philly, Houston. But I recognize the fact that not everyone works in tech, nor do they care about those cities in that context.

As a more general statement, if I were to talk to folks on the block or friends, DC, Boston, Seattle, Philly would all be Tiered similarly, each with strengths depending on the conversation. They don't give it more thought than that, aside from a preference between cities.
Yeah, that was sort of on the fly, but I give DC some credit just for being the nation's capital. I'm in tech as well, so there's definitely more Seattle, Austin, Boston, Denver and Minneapolis chatter. I will say that Austin is well thought of in most circles I speak to.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What? It was late last night and I forgot to type how wrong that was. Been to Houston 100+ times, Atlanta 20+. I think they're both great.
That wasn't directed at you personally, it was directed at the prevailing attitude of people where you live. Most Californians are very provincial when it comes to most of the Country, they just don't care. They know the West Coast, Vegas, Phoenix, Hawaii, the Mexican Pacific Coast and NY. The rest is mostly all an afterthought, if that.

Of course, well traveled business people or film/tv people are not included in the above.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:06 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
In the real world, the hierarchy of cities is nowhere near as granular as it is here. Like this whole top 10 cities thing doesn't exist in the real world.

The average person sees NYC as the top, followed by LA, and then maybe Chicago 3rd. After that, to the average American, there's not a meaningful difference between cities like Boston, Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, Detroit, New Orleans, etc... They're all large cities that everyone has heard of.
Not quite. Depend on who you're calling average. I agree we are more granular but I don't think the average American associates Miami Philadelphia and Atlanta with Cleveland Sacramento and Kansas City like that. There are some levels.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:06 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
That wasn't directed at you personally, it was directed at the prevailing attitude of people where you live. Most Californians are very provincial when it comes to most of the Country, they just don't care. They know the West Coast, Vegas, Phoenix, Hawaii, the Mexican Pacific Coast and NY. The rest is mostly all an afterthought, if that.

Of course, well traveled business people or film/tv people are not included in the above.
If they're Southern Californians, they're probably more aware of the center of the country than East Coast denizens are, for if the number of California plates I saw on the streets of Kansas City in the summer growing up is any guide, it seems that half of LA has a relative in the area.

Sheesh, I have one, and we visited her in 1966. She lived in Altadena then. The next time I saw her, it was 1980, my mom was stationed at VA Brentwood, and she had moved to even nicer digs in Baldwin Hills.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:00 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If they're Southern Californians, they're probably more aware of the center of the country than East Coast denizens are, for if the number of California plates I saw on the streets of Kansas City in the summer growing up is any guide, it seems that half of LA has a relative in the area.

Sheesh, I have one, and we visited her in 1966. She lived in Altadena then. The next time I saw her, it was 1980, my mom was stationed at VA Brentwood, and she had moved to even nicer digs in Baldwin Hills.
Now I wonder if it was common in past decades, for people living in Kansas to consider moving to the LA area, or elsewhere in southern California? One of my relatives(my cousin, specifically) grew up in Wichita, and later she moved to LA. Though around the time COVID hit and a lot of closures started to occur in California in 2020, they did move to the Dayton, OH area(where her husband was originally from). Not sure if today they still both are living in the Dayton area for now, or moved back to the LA area?

Old 09-23-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

You learn something new every day! And yes, I was thinking of Socal. I work remotely from San Diego, and am there and in L.A. often. And Baldwin Hills is AbFab!

Old 09-23-2021, 05:34 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
A lot of people migrated from Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma to California during its boom years in the mid-20th century. Also, don’t forget the Dust Bowl forced a lot of farmers from that region to move to California. I was born in Wichita myself, but me and my family moved to San Diego in the 1980s. I knew quite a few people from those states when I lived in SoCal.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
A lot of people migrated from Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma to California during its boom years in the mid-20th century. Also, don’t forget the Dust Bowl forced a lot of farmers from that region to move to California. I was born in Wichita myself, but me and my family moved to San Diego in the 1980s. I knew quite a few people from those states when I lived in SoCal.
Yeah, my best friend at work is from Omaha. She stayed in San Diego when she got out of the Navy there.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:00 PM

511 posts, read 400,124 times
Least favored ones:
Houston
OKC (people on C-D seem to hate here a lot)
Jacksonville
Phoenix
And the Deep Southern states in general

Most favored ones:
NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Denver
Nashville
DC
East TN/Western NC
Atlanta
Miami
Seattle
Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City