Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 02:41 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't see Seattle residents as defensive at all. They don't care it seems. Denver, Boston,Atlanta and the Texas cities, again save Austin for whatever reason, are the most defensive.
Denver? Try Philly and DC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Let’s just say BostonBornMassMade didn’t make that “is it cool to call Boston racist” thread for no reason. I understand the demographics here are different than a mainstream social setting, but generally people love to label Boston as some ultra racist town. No matter how many times I try to convince people that’s just an American problem and Boston gets pointed the most for it, they just don’t buy it. It’s the same as Chicago’s misunderstanding for a generic American problem.
Other black people have told lauding Boston as a black person in Georgia got them beaten up. It is not a game. It's not a joke, it's like a serious issue some people have with the city. It gets mucho hate.

I have had white people in my uber in Baltimore told me they felt bad for me I was from Boston as well as random people in bars here. There are certain friends who won't go with me to Boston and certain posters here who never miss an opportunity to dump on it.

If you are white interacting with other white people I assume this doesn't happen to you.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:50 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Other black people have told lauding Boston as a black person in Georgia got them beaten up. It is not a game. It's not a joke, it's like a serious issue some people have with the city. It gets mucho hate.

I have had white people in my uber in Baltimore told me they felt bad for me I was from Boston as well as random people in bars here. There are certain friends who won't go with me to Boston and certain posters here who never miss an opportunity to dump on it.

If you are white interacting with other white people I assume this doesn't happen to you.

Never knew the reputation was that bad... At least here in the NE, most of Boston's 'hate' is jealousy from them dominating in damn near every sport lol rather than the city itself.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Never knew the reputation was that bad... At least here in the NE, most of Boston's 'hate' is jealousy from them dominating in damn near every sport lol rather than the city itself.
Again if you're not a black person from Boston you'd be hard-pressed to know how bad the reputation. People are genuinely feeling bad for me and ask how racist is it up there-routinely. Very routinely. The reputation for racism is far more impactful in my life (and others like me) than actual racism.

People will say I went to Fenway and I didn't find them to be nice people. They'll tell you how far you can get in Boston as a black person like-really really argue with you as though they know for certain they are right. I really don't think you could relate/imagine.

So it's a bad rep-certainly. People are probably just more apt to avoid that topic with non-black Bostonians. The topic of sports is always way more friendly than the topic of racism-they're two separate conversations that happen in regards to Boston but they both happen a lot. Probably 70% of the time I mention it. 30% of the time I get "Boston was beautiful/i enjoyed it"

You all may think I'm gassing it up but I'm definitely not, that is my reality. Its a large/central topic of conversation amongst black Bostonians and our politicians. How to change the image/reputation/erasure etc etc

Generally Asians and Hispanics are much more neutral on it. White people are relatively high on it-reputation wise and on CD

Old 08-16-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
no "F*** Boston" is fairly common in the social media space as PSwag said. A lot of people strongly dislike Boston as a city. I've seen people say things like "they should take the Celtics and move them out of Boston and I'd root for them."

Old 08-16-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I don't know anyone who has visited Philly for leisure nor do I know a lot of people who have visited Boston.
This right here. People seem to have a negative view of Philly in real life A few people I meet like it a lot though. I'm one of them.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I find the Boston homering on CD a bit obnoxious at times despite me living in New England and having attended college in the region too. Like even in this thread - we're starting to see multiple references to Boston...again. I don't hate the city and actually do keep tabs on what's happening in Boston given that it's our regional center along with NYC for me living in a place with a dual regional identity, but I'm like folks just chill. No need to respond to EVERY critique about Boston - it's a fine city, have some confidence in it.
You don't hate it but based on your comment history you dont like it either.

If anything it seemed you dislike it-If you say "I don't hate the city" as a starting point lmao.

I think there's still a lot of number of people IRL who think Boston is a small city/college town of very little importance/influence. They have no idea at all that it's expensive, growing, and at the forefront of a lot of industries. Our inclination has always been to combat that.

It's likely a mixture of Bostonians being neurotic, prideful, well-read/intellectual, confrontational, and well versed on their cities history. This entire forum is a goldmine for many people I could think of in Boston in terms of interest/conversation. They just don't know about it.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:17 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I also think Atlanta is heavily favored on here. Probably more so than Austin and MSP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I would add Indianapolis to the "Less favored" list. It's rare that Indy wins a poll when being compared to similar sized cities (or even smaller cities).

I would agree with Jacksonville and OKC though. They also generally aren't well liked on here.
I was thinking about Atlanta and Indy, but Atlanta has lots of support on here. Throw in the word south and it is almost guaranteed to be a landslide in ATL'S favor.

Indy I have not heard much of recently so I didn't include it.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati I was going to include in the favored list but like Indy I haven't heard too much about them recently

Old 08-16-2021, 03:23 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't see Seattle residents as defensive at all. They don't care it seems. Denver, Boston,Atlanta and the Texas cities, again save Austin for whatever reason, are the most defensive.
I forgot about Philadelphia posters. They are up up there.

But Denver? I havent heard yet.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:25 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw i'd say this is the inverse. NYC just gained 630k people.
Yeah but its not religiously viewed as the number one city and if you dont think that you are wrong. In real life its a cool place to visit. People like it but arent like obsessed with it to the level/density as on here

Ie, the Public Transportation argument. Absolutely nobody in real life views the NYC Subway as the best just because its expansive. When DC or Seattle constantly ranks #1 and thats brought up we get pages on pages of dialogue that turns into arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City