Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 04:09 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I know Boston having lived in New England for a bit (the region has provided me with a debt free great university education and nice place to live) and there are a lot of good attributes about the city. To your point, me being a Black person does give me some pause about aspects of the city. Overall, I'm neutral and pragmatic about it. We need a strong Boston in New England. Yes - I'm more favorable to NYC, but I don't LOVE it like little New Haven here (I try to check myself for defensiveness on my end too).
Personally, I like Nw Haven the best. Over Boston. Then New York. I think New Haven is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 04:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Touché. I guess my network is either people who are already pretty familiar with Boston or white conservatives, who will spew “costal elite destroying family values” rhetoric but never racism rhetoric. I think I read that there might be a Donna Summer biopic at some point? But again - point taken.
Yea your circle is the polar opposite of those who dislike Boston. If even you see it every couple weeks then it’s bad. IRL white conservatives and (white?) people who are pretty familiar with Boston are a minority of our population in the US.

CD gets more Boston positivity than IRL because it’s a site where most of the posters overwhelmingly be my identify as white (and upper middle class), let’s not over complicate it.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:26 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Personally, I like Nw Haven the best. Over Boston. Then New York. I think New Haven is underrated.
Love New Haven.. it’s just too small to prefer it over Boston or NYC. These are all great cities in totally different weight classes.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:27 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In NJ its almost always sports related when I say im originally from there. If theyve been there, they love it. If they give me **** its because of sports. But Bostoj has fallen out of conversations more and more over the past few years Ive noticed. Philadelphia has popped into convos aloooot more.

I think it just depends on generation. My mother hates Boston because of the Celtics Sixers rivalry from the 80s and to go along with BostonBornMassMade's point about racism, because she perceived them as a "white team"

Me personally, I'm a Patriots fan. Have been to Gillette once, and always admired the city. I've always viewed Boston as edgy and hip from the movies, sports teams, people who come from there, and new jack swing and a place for higher-ed. Only bad thing about it are the accents lol.

To the bolded: Hopefully, for good reasons, yes?

Old 08-16-2021, 04:33 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think Dallas beat LA in a poll here. No way that happens in real life. I've lived everywhere, for Texas, Austin is the most well thought of around the country. Most hated of the Texas, if not all cities here.
I think it depends on the context here. A lot of the stat based threads give Austin props for it's measured performance in various areas. A lot of subjective threads crap on Austin. Texas posters on here are definitely the most salty about Austin, for the reason you mentioned. In real life Austin gets a huge amount of hate from right wing small town Texas, but I don't see Houston or DFW boosters hating on Austin like you do here. That's largely because in real life I don't see many big Houston or DFW boosters in the first place; most people in those cities are fairly chill about it.

Austin also has a phenomena both on here and in real life that it's national profile is relatively oversized. As a result it's always often being compared to other cities way outside of its weight class. For example it is very common in real life to hear about all of the ways that Austin doesn't stack up to LA or SF, as if that's surprising. The city has a very transient population with many people moving both directions (though obviously more in than out).

Old 08-16-2021, 04:37 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
(white?) people who are pretty familiar with Boston
No, that group includes a large number of non-white people who moved here for school.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:40 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Richmond is derided way, way more on here than it is in real life...
When does Richmond get derided?

The only thing I ever hear about Richmond is the never ending debate about how southern it is. Richmond posters always want it to be considered DC's twin city for some reason, people from other cities laugh, and that's about it. other than that I only read positive things about Richmond.

In real life I've honestly never heard Richmond come up in any capacity, but that's probably because I live far away from it out here in Texas.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:42 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
There's a split on here between two major categories, urbanity and growth. Generally urbanity is valued more on this site. Sprawling cities are looked down upon except by the crowd who values growth more than anything, so the most favorable cities on this site sometimes falls in between those two categories in a weird way that doesn't always make sense. It also depends highly on what region the person is from. In general most of the U.S. population (outside of the northeast) doesn't value urbanity as much as this site and favors cities that are growing, low crime, clean/newer with good job markets.
IDK, two of the most popular cities here are Nashville and Atlanta, which I believe are two of the least dense cities in the US?

Old 08-16-2021, 04:46 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I heard about Richmond in middle school history class. But how often do we hear about cities of that size? There are no pro sports, and it's not really emblematic of anything since the Civil War. It has its nice aspects but all cities do. I don't see any parallels to DC at all, though admittedly I've spent more time in the latter.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:48 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
IDK, two of the most popular cities here are Nashville and Atlanta, which I believe are two of the least dense cities in the US?
Nashville's population figures are a bit misleading because it's a consolidated city and county that includes a ton of un-developable land (about a third of the land area). ATL's city proper, while sprawling, is actually a tiny piece of the overall metro.

Downtown Nashville is pretty happening and it extends along Broadway/West End to Midtown and Vanderbilt. The density for the area is much higher than the city as a whole and it is a lot more walkable than the vast majority of the city. The same can be said for Midtown in Atlanta.

It is wild to see Nashville grow so much in popularity (really really good marketing). I grew up in Nashville and it felt more like a town then. Also - hot chicken was a nice after church or pre-club night meal rooted in Black culture, now it's been so yuppified all over the country.

Sidenote: I really don't understand who decided to put a ton of coleslaw on fried chicken sandwiches out West (that's overcomplicating the sandwich and doesn't really add much to it imo). I noticed that a lot when living in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City