Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 02:42 AM

40 posts, read 35,227 times

Advertisements

I noticed that some cities receive a lot of discussion on here and are more well-liked, while others receive very little. I don’t think it necessarily correlates to the population of each city or region either. Obviously, a website that focuses on discussing cities is going to attract people who in some way have stronger preferences toward certain design ideals.

What cities on City-Data do you think are more preferred on here compared to the views of the general public? What about less preferred? Why? And are there any cities on CD where the favorability has shifted over the years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 06:50 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
I don't know if this is a direct answer to your question, but the biggest problem on this board are posters who want to pop off about a city/state/region who have never actually visited it--or visited one part of a town on a one-day business trip. Then they subscribe to whatever lazy stereotype they have and indulge it on this board.

Likewise, there are those who visit a town as a tourist, do the touristy things, and never bother to think what it might be like as a resident. So their vision is actually far more positive than the underlying reality of earning a living, commuting, or the rest of the blocking and tackling that constitutes having a life.

So I typically don't respond to inquiries about a town unless I've spent significant time there. With the exception of Salt Lake City, Cleveland, and Minneapolis, I've been to every major city in the 48 contiguous states multiple times. Even then, I don't have a full picture of many.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:06 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
All the major TX cities are way more liked in real life than on C-D. Phoenix as well.

I think cities like Pittsburgh and Richmond are given more attention and credit on here than they get in real life.

The opinion of LA has definitely shifted to being more positive over the last few years.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
More favored on CD:
Seattle
San Diego
San Francisco
Austin
MSP
Nashville
Boston
NY

Less favored:
Phoenix
Houston
Jacksonville
OKC

Old 08-16-2021, 07:18 AM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
The city-data hierarchy of city approval:

Tier 1: Is it a legacy city?: Yes > Is it growing with white collar jobs, and urban infill? Yes > Highest approval consensus.

"I like tall buildings and elitist institutions, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Tier 2: Is it a legacy city?: No > Is it growing with white collar jobs and urban infill? Yes > Is it growing at a faster rate than the legacy cities? Yes > Medium level of approval, with mild to moderate condescension from the homers of the above cities.

"I like warmer weather and milder winters, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Tier 3: Is it a legacy city? Yes > Is it growing with white collar jobs and urban infill? Possibly > Is it still struggling with decline? Possibly >Does it have a stronger urban form than the cities growing faster than the legacy cities? Yes > Less condescension from the tier one homers, more condescension from tier 2 homers.

"My city is performing better than most of the folks on here realize, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Tier 4: Is it a legacy city? NO > Is it growing with white collar jobs and infill > No > Is it growing faster than legacy cities > Yes. Condescension from Tier 1 and 3 homers. Mixed support from tier 2.

"I like cities that are growing and a little flashy with wealth, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Wild card: Is the homer representation more tenacious about fighting back stereotypes? Yes > Mixed results from all tiers. Is the homer representation over the top with their defense? Yes > City-data posters will vote against the city in polls just to spite the homers.

The general American public: "I like tall buildings and/or warm weather." "I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s for places I've never been".

Last edited by mjlo; 08-16-2021 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 07:18 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
More favored on CD:
Seattle
San Diego
San Francisco
Austin
MSP
Nashville
Boston
NY

Less favored:
Phoenix
Houston
Jacksonville
OKC
I also think Atlanta is heavily favored on here. Probably more so than Austin and MSP.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:30 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
See a lot of unwarranted DC hate on here.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:01 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
See a lot of unwarranted DC hate on here.

I don't see a mention of the Capitol.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:13 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
The city-data hierarchy of city approval:

Tier 1: Is it a legacy city?: Yes > Is it growing with white collar jobs, and urban infill? Yes > Highest approval consensus.

"I like tall buildings and elitist institutions, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Tier 2: Is it a legacy city?: No > Is it growing with white collar jobs and urban infill? Yes > Is it growing at a faster rate than the legacy cities? Yes > Medium level of approval, with mild to moderate condescension from the homers of the above cities.

"I like warmer weather and milder winters, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Tier 3: Is it a legacy city? Yes > Is it growing with white collar jobs and urban infill? Possibly > Is it still struggling with decline? Possibly >Does it have a stronger urban form than the cities growing faster than the legacy cities? Yes > Less condescension from the tier one homers, more condescension from tier 2 homers.

"My city is performing better than most of the folks on here realize, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Tier 4: Is it a legacy city? NO > Is it growing with white collar jobs and infill > No > Is it growing faster than legacy cities > Yes. Condescension from Tier 1 and 3 homers. Mixed support from tier 2.

"I like cities that are growing and a little flashy with wealth, I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s to give my opinion for places I've never been".

Wild card: Is the homer representation more tenacious about fighting back stereotypes? Yes > Mixed results from all tiers. Is the homer representation over the top with their defense? Yes > City-data posters will vote against the city in polls just to spite the homers.

The general American public: "I like tall buildings and/or warm weather." "I rely heavily on branding from the 1980s, 90s for places I've never been".
The term "legacy city" itself is very much C-D forum branding. Does it occasionally get used in this context in other platforms/publications?....sure. But it is not in the lexicon of about 99% of the general public. Meanwhile it's probably one of the biggest "buzz words" on this forum and one of the most significant "litmus tests" for if a city is "worthy" of discussion.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
More favored on CD:
Seattle
San Diego
San Francisco
Austin
MSP
Nashville
Boston
NY

Less favored:
Phoenix
Houston
Jacksonville
OKC

I would add Indianapolis to the "Less favored" list. It's rare that Indy wins a poll when being compared to similar sized cities (or even smaller cities).

I would agree with Jacksonville and OKC though. They also generally aren't well liked on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City