Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 03:06 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times

Advertisements

Culture: I like both. I think Miami’s culture is a little bit easier to define. If you’re talking about South Florida in general it’s a little more difficult. It has evolved quite a bit.

Dallas’s culture sort of gets lost in the mix but there’s a lot of interesting history if you’re willing to take the time to learn it. The city has an interesting past and the city has shaped the country.

Nightlife: Miami and love Fort Lauderdale

Traffic: Both are bad I sort of stay in a bubble in both. I go months at a time never getting on a highway in Dallas. When I’m in Fort Lauderdale I rarely venture out of a small area.

People: South Florida. I’m over Dallas. I know too many people and enjoy meeting new people. I prefer the transplants from the East Coast over the ones in Dallas. Plus, there are so many visitors who are in vacation mode and they’re usually more laid back.

The lifestyle in South Florida is just way different. Dallas is just more of a rat race to me.

Housing: Overall housing is a lot more expensive in South Florida. Totally different market for obvious reasons.

Politics: I really don’t know much about local politics in Florida. I feel like not enough people pay attention to local politics in Dallas. Local elections are important.

Density: South Florida has more high density neighborhoods and it’s also a lot more urban. In that regard it’s way ahead of Dallas. The development their is much more sustainable and I see far better pedestrian infrastructure and effort to encourage good urbanism.

Walkability: It’s much more pleasant to walk in South Florida. Weather is perfect year around. There is way better scenery and far superior pedestrian infrastructure. I look forward to having a more active lifestyle when I move.

Sea level rise: Too late to worry about that now. If it happens there’s nothing that can stop it at this point.

Weather: Miami has year around perfect weather. I hate the weather in Dallas more and more with each passing year. This summer has sucked and it wasn’t even that bad. I’m hoping for a nice long fall.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:47 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
As much as I disliked living in Dallas, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 02:33 PM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
This is a tough one. I think I’d take Dallas. Mainly because I’m less likely to be washed away in twenty years or so.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I agree that Dallas' relative proximity to some locales isn't a strong advantage at all. Compared to Miami it is smack dab in the middle of nowhere, but I'm okay with that.
I mean, Miami is at the end of a peninsula. It may not be "in the middle of nowhere" but its def not in the centre for anything. If you're travelling by car, it takes several hours to reach the Florida state line. Still at least about 3 hours to Orlando or Tampa and thats within the same state. To me, Miami feels more isolated. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I personally don't care for having to drive several hours to see another state, but its not bad in and of itself, but its something to consider esp considering in the rest of the East Coast, it typically doesn't take more than a few hours to be in a completely different state

Old 02-03-2023, 06:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
I lived in Miami growing up, and lived in DFW (Denton) in my early 20s. I live in the Twin Cities which despite being located far to the north, has a good bunch in common with the Dallas area (two big cities next door, I-35, corporate hubs, wealthy suburbs, both have 4 seasons with one season known for being extreme and the rest more moderate) and I pick Dallas. Would I move back to Texas? No. But I'll pick it over Florida, any day.

Miami is too alienating if you're not into the lifestyle there. I don't like endless heat, which is why I live in a four seasons climate with real winters. I am multilingual, but I prefer speaking English and in Dallas, Hispanic people will at least ask you if you speak Spanish. In Miami, they assume you do, and look down on you if you don't.

Miami is an extrovert city. I am SUPER DUPER introverted. Minneapolis is introverted so it suits me. Dallas is more extroverted but its more "introvert friendly." If you're the type of person who prefers cooler weather, coffee shops, bike rides along the lake, peace and quiet, Dallas may not be the ULTIMATE place, but its still better for that than Miami.

Miami's strongest suit is the beach, which I do love, but I'm not willing to deal with the negatives for the ONE thing I like.

Also, I appreciate that Dallas at least has the CHANCE of snow, even if they can't deal with it lol. Miami weather is so boring.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:12 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
Dallas for me.

Old 02-04-2023, 07:56 PM

833 posts, read 452,510 times
Dallas is my pick as well. Miami really is just not for me and I really like Dallas a lot too.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:18 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
It depends. Probably Miami. But it depends. Can’t beat Miami’s surroundings and infrastructure. But the people there tend to be rude, self important, in your face and have chips on their shoulders. Big time egos

Old 02-06-2023, 07:26 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
But the people there tend to be rude, self important, in your face and have chips on their shoulders. Big time egos
This is a synopsis of why I don't like Miami.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:45 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,048,608 times
I'd prefer to live in Miami personally. I'm not Hispanic, but I do speak Spanish and grew up in Houston so I'm pretty used to Latino culture and being approached by people speaking Spanish. That doesn't bother me at all. There's this perception that Miami is full of rude people but I've never found it much different than anywhere else in my travels there (especially if you speak Spanish). I'm also a big fan of the beach, don't particularly mind heat and/or humidity, and really really don't like any weather below 60 degrees.

Actually, the more I think about it, maybe I should actually move to Miami! Dallas is a pretty cool city/region as well, but this is an absolute no brainer for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City