Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 09:34 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
If one looks only at median or REPORTED income, as in W-2 wages, that is correct…But that is not the only determinant of wealth.

Many more people who live here are self employed and underreport their earnings—not just waiters but successful small business owners. Add in wealthy transplants, foreigners and retirees living off their wealth earned elsewhere not or no longer receiving reported wages but counted in population figures—that is reflected in the high real estate prices Miami commands along with the (more) high end retailers, restaurants, etc etc the area attracts. Sure, Miami—like LA and NYC and other cities has its bad and lower income hoods but a blind squirrel can see the vast, not limited, amount of wealth that exists here which reported W-2 wages alone does not capture…and, no, a tourist from NYC or Europe is not getting on a plane to support the same retail(er) brand here that exists back in their home city nor is a local bus boy shopping at Berluti, Fendi, Aston Martin, etc etc.

Now if one is dependent upon a paycheck working for someone else or a corporation in more fields that reports wages and/or is looking for less expensive housing that exists in inland markets then Dallas makes more sense for such individuals. The good news here is that many who can no longer afford to live here either move to less expensive cities in Florida or elsewhere rather than staying which is why we have a much lower unsheltered homeless population than most other coastal cities.

I’m glad you were able to confront, hopefully correct, the older lady here who tried cutting in front of you.
She wasn't the only one that tried to cut or get corrected. I pointed out her age and gender to emphasize that it's just not young males that do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 09:49 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
She wasn't the only one that tried to cut or get corrected. I pointed out her age and gender to emphasize that it's just not young males that do it.
And I confronted a mother of a teenage girl who wouldn’t let me get off an elevator before getting on in NY. Crap happens everywhere. She called me an idiot for rolling my eyes. I told her she was a bad parent for not teaching her teenager something I learned at age 4. Maybe she should have a session with Progressive’s Dr Rick.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:06 AM

184 posts, read 316,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
If one looks only at median or REPORTED income, as in W-2 wages, that is correct…But that is not the only determinant of wealth.

Many more people who live here are self employed and underreport their earnings—not just waiters but successful small business owners. Add in wealthy transplants, foreigners and retirees living off their wealth earned elsewhere not or no longer receiving reported wages but counted in population figures—that is reflected in the high real estate prices Miami commands along with the (more) high end retailers, restaurants, etc etc the area attracts. Sure, Miami—like LA and NYC and other cities has its bad and lower income hoods but a blind squirrel can see the vast, not limited, amount of wealth that exists here which reported W-2 wages alone does not capture…and, no, a tourist from NYC or Europe is not getting on a plane to support the same retail(er) brand here that exists back in their home city nor is a local bus boy shopping, eating or buying at Berluti, Fendi, Aston Martin, Cipriani, buying expensive real estate etc etc.

Now if one is dependent upon a paycheck working for someone else or a corporation in more fields that reports wages and/or is looking for less expensive housing that exists in inland markets then Dallas makes more sense for such individuals. The good news here is that many who can no longer afford to live here either move to less expensive cities in Florida or elsewhere rather than staying which is why we have a much lower unsheltered homeless population than most other coastal cities.

I’m glad you were able to confront, hopefully correct, the older lady here who tried cutting in front of you.

Now, I visited Dallas more than 90 times during my 33 years working for Texas Instruments but still chose Miami to live, even though I still don’t consider myself an expert of that city in spite of a large number of visits. I would love to know how many times you have visited Miami and exactly where, or likely where not, you’ve been..

Ten Most Populated Metros By Per Capita Personal Income 2021

NYC metro --------------- $85,136
Washington DC metro --- $80,822
Baltimore metro --------- $70,490
Los Angeles metro ------ $75,821
Riverside metro --------- $50,384
Miami metro ------------ $73,522
Philadelphia metro ------ $72,379
Chicago metro ---------- $71,992
Dallas metro ------------ $66,727
Houston metro ---------- $64,837
Atlanta metro ----------- $63,219
Phoenix metro ---------- $58,308

https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/fi...pi1122msa.xlsx

Sotheby's The World’s Most Glamorous Cities 2019

London
Hong Kong
Paris
Dubai
New York
Geneva
Miami

"No glamorous list is complete without the Magic City. Dotted with celebrity residences, supercars, colorful Art Deco architecture, and stunning beaches, Miami is the shining star of the Sunshine State. The city comes fifth in the worldwide rankings for most five-star hotels—behind only New York in the United States—and its port is a hub for luxury cruises and international shipping. From its high-end Design District to the brightly-hued Little Havana to the glittering Brickell financial center, Miami promises a rich and distinct experience to all comers. Spend a perfect Sunday in the city, and see why so many have made Miami home."

June 3, 2019
https://www.sothebysrealty.com/extra...amorous-cities

Last edited by Orionsdolph; 02-08-2023 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City