Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:26 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
NE people do move to Miami for the weather (in many cases cheaper COL, including no state income tax, also); I’ve not heard too many people from my 90+ visits to Dallas over 3 decades claim they moved there for the weather. Summer being hot—though those who live along coastal Miami, as opposed to inland Miami, receive cooling ocean and bay breezes— is not news to them. Far more end up staying here. Fairly certain successful, top NYC restaurants have done their homework and have not opened up down here to appeal to Julio and Marta from Peru or the winter season crowd only. More than 3 dozen top notch ones have opened outposts here, in good measure to appeal to the large installed base of transplants that have moved and remain here who are familiar with their NY/Philly restaurants and chefs. (We even have an outpost of Uchi, from Austin—with a Dallas location—and James Beard award winning sushi master chef Tyson Cole).

Miami may not have access to mountains but it does have an ocean and bay (beaches, fishing, water sports, boating, cruise ships) right in its backyard without needing to leave the city. Its urban fabric is also more compact and dense with 8 different urban neighborhoods within a consistent 12-17 minute surface street ride vs more sprawl often involving highways and greater distances. Some prefer dense, others prefer more open space.

As you said, completely different lifestyle—career vs party, or as I put it being on vacation every day, cities. Key is being able to make a living and afford no matter where one chooses to live. Relocation and Work from home has made Miami—which lacks the corporate HQ career path presence Dallas has—more of a possibility than existed before Covid. For others there is always the tried-and-true career paths of medicine/healthcare, law, finance, real estate/development, import/export trade and other fields that we, too, have (not just tourism jobs).
I don't disagree with you. The difference is your talking about the 1%. I'm addressing OP and may have mistakenly assumed he is not 1% er.

I didn't move to Dallas for weather though prefer it to Houston's climate. Weather is not a top priority in my life. I like change. I dislike humidity.

There are numerous half backs you can find them on CD. Those you are talking about have homes in the mountains and elsewhere and need the amenities of Miami to live as they enjoy.

It's a good thing we don't all like the same thing. Where we all wanted to be would be as crowded and suffering under it as LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 08:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
It’s not like Dallas is in Kansas or Idaho…
Dallas also has a good central location for flights to either coast.
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Dallas' central location, but I just don't think that's a major selling point for most people. Unless you greatly prioritize having proximity to the West Coast, I think Miami is in a better position for getaways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Also saying Dallas is more diverse is dubious at best. How is your Hispanic population diverse when the vast majority of it is of Mexican descent?
Dallas is definitely more diverse, though. Most Hispanics there are Mexican, true, but Mexico is large and pretty diverse itself. And we can't act like a huge chunk of Miami's population and culture don't come from one of two islands.

Sure, when you add up all the teeny tiny islands in the Caribbean, you technically wind up with lots of different nationalities being represented there. Missing from the equation though are the robust African and Asian cultures found in Dallas, on top of the Latin American influence it shares with Miami. South Florida has an edge when it comes to Europeans.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:13 PM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas. Location location. Traveling is far easier. Miami is so displaced from the rest of the country. Also I like all the seasons.
Not really it's fairly close to everything in the Southeast and not that far from most of the east coast. Dallas is the one that's surrounded by Texas and mostly nothingness beyond that.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:22 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Since when is a 13.5 hour flight to Japan on par with flights as short as 45 minutes to the Caribbean or 8 hours to Europe?…not exactly just around the corner or something one does for a “quick weekend”…much bigger difference between 13.5 hours v 45 minutes as opposed to 13.5 v 17 hours (Tokyo from Miami) when talking “closer connections”….How frequently do you make the trip? ….there are other, good reasons why one might prefer Dallas over Miami but not sure this is one of them. Also the 3.39% DFW Asian population, though greater than Miami’s 1.13%, does not scream San Francisco, LA, Seattle or NYC (or even Houston’s 6.8%) to me but at least DFW has such and tighter knit communities which sounds like a high priority for you (as Hispanic would be in Miami vs Minneapolis).
1) I make the trip several times a year, normally, and it is less about the time and more about direct connections. I am really not a fan of layovers or connecting flights; if I wanted a three hour "visit" to a city, then I could choose to fit one into a trip, but I have no desire to. On the other hand, I never visit the Caribbean, cruises aside (I have started visiting Mexico, for which Miami does not have an advantage), and DFW still has several flights to some European cities while Miami has absolutely none between San Francisco/Seattle and Dubai.

2) Where are you getting 3.39% or 1.13%? Is that from 2010 census or something? Going by the numbers in the 2020 Demographics, it is 7.9% for DFW and 2.7% for Miami. DFW's percentage is nearly three times higher and actually is closer to NYC's figures than to Miami's. In raw figures, which does have some impact as well, DFW's Asian population is almost four times larger. For Korean Americans alone, DFW's population is almost five times higher.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:14 PM

169 posts, read 127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Dallas' central location, but I just don't think that's a major selling point for most people. Unless you greatly prioritize having proximity to the West Coast, I think Miami is in a better position for getaways.

Dallas is definitely more diverse, though. Most Hispanics there are Mexican, true, but Mexico is large and pretty diverse itself. And we can't act like a huge chunk of Miami's population and culture don't come from one of two islands.

Sure, when you add up all the teeny tiny islands in the Caribbean, you technically wind up with lots of different nationalities being represented there. Missing from the equation though are the robust African and Asian cultures found in Dallas, on top of the Latin American influence it shares with Miami. South Florida has an edge when it comes to Europeans.
Easily one of the most clueless, out of touch, and ignorant things I’ve read on these forums.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I like both and I like warmer climates but they’re both a bit extreme. I know Dallas a little better and it seems more livable so probably that when I get a little older and Miami while I’m still in my 20s. Overall I’d lean slightly toward Dallas since I have family there though.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:28 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Miami is not "perpetually" Summer and Humid all year long. It's obvious you have never stepped foot here to make such a outlandish statement. Miami from about October to April is usually very mild in comparison to the Summer months. In addition Miami even on its Hottest day has never surpassed 100F degrees in its history. Can you say that about Dallas?
Also saying Dallas is more diverse is dubious at best. How is your Hispanic population diverse when the vast majority of it is of Mexican descent?
I've been to Miami many times.

Miami's sky high humidity keeps the temperature lower than Dallas. If you think Miami high temps feel cooler thn Dallas's 100 degree days you re off the mark and not credible.

If Fla and Miami have such a great climate try telling that to the half backs who move there from the NE only to move half way back to NC, SC , Ga or Tn mountains

Dallas is not as Latin American diverse as Houston but will match up with Miami's narrower diversity in Latin heritages.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:53 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Miami has nonstops to SF (AA) Seattle (AA) and Dubai (Emirates).

3.39- 1.13 or 7.9 - 2.7 (metro v city??) is still 3:1 ratio. Doesn’t scream the other cities I mentioned. For business purposes makes sense for you, I’m definitely taking the Asian restaurants here in Miami over Dallas though (in spite of its small population).

For several trips a year to Asia, your location makes much more sense; just like my being Miami based is better for the Caribbean, Southeast, NYC, South America (time wise), Europe (time wise) and Middle East—though I don’t have to get on a plane to get to an ocean or drive hours to get to the beach which I do quite a bit more frequently than several times/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
1) I make the trip several times a year, normally, and it is less about the time and more about direct connections. I am really not a fan of layovers or connecting flights; if I wanted a three hour "visit" to a city, then I could choose to fit one into a trip, but I have no desire to. On the other hand, I never visit the Caribbean, cruises aside (I have started visiting Mexico, for which Miami does not have an advantage), and DFW still has several flights to some European cities while Miami has absolutely none between San Francisco/Seattle and Dubai.

2) Where are you getting 3.39% or 1.13%? Is that from 2010 census or something? Going by the numbers in the 2020 Demographics, it is 7.9% for DFW and 2.7% for Miami. DFW's percentage is nearly three times higher and actually is closer to NYC's figures than to Miami's. In raw figures, which does have some impact as well, DFW's Asian population is almost four times larger. For Korean Americans alone, DFW's population is almost five times higher.

I would love to see actual stats on this…let’s not lump Miami in with all of FL; climate in coastal Miami is different from inland Miami which is different from Orlando, which is different from the Panhandle which is different from the Gulf Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I've been to Miami many times.

Miami's sky high humidity keeps the temperature lower than Dallas. If you think Miami high temps feel cooler thn Dallas's 100 degree days you re off the mark and not credible.

If Fla and Miami have such a great climate try telling that to the half backs who move there from the NE only to move half way back to NC, SC , Ga or Tn mountains

Dallas is not as Latin American diverse as Houston but will match up with Miami's narrower diversity in Latin heritages.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-24-2021 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 06:08 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Man, I don't get the Dallas dislike on CD. It's easily one of the most disliked cities on this forum but in reality most people who move to the area like it. Dare I say even LOVE IT.

Interesting, but if I had to choose which one to live it would be Dallas.I think I've made my opinion about Miami on here loud and clear several times. One popular city in America that is overrated imo.

I think Miami would probably be more livable for me if I were still in my 20's and single and had Women as my top priority. I'm not a beach guy, not really into the Miami glitzy lifestyle, Florida has the worst drivers in the country imo, food scene is underwhelming for a city w/ it's reputation, racial and class segregation is definitely more noticeable there than Dallas.

Don't get me wrong, Miami is a better looking city than Dallas with better overall weather but what good is an attractive looking city if the experience itself is lackluster.

Just for me give me Dallas. I can meet more down to earth people on my day to day routine. Better food, good enough amenities, career mobility, etc.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:35 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Underwhelming?…in what regard, cheap eats or lack of Pappasito’s (do wish we had one here)? I will be happy to go in greater detail upon request but will suffice with the following article below for now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/robbrep...234607434/amp/

Agree about the drivers, though. Lackluster?…top 3 high end shopping city in the US; top 2 nightlife city in US (not just for 20 year olds), top tier global city for owning real estate, unique annual events.

If one makes $40K/year and/or cannot take advantage of what it has to offer and is forced inland with a long commute with the horrible drivers and coworkers then I could see where it is underwhelming and where Dallas, with lower COL and more opportunities for the average person makes sense.

Now, I don’t hate or dislike Dallas; in fact, I visited 90+ times working for a company that was based there but I prefer exciting, cosmopolitan coastal cities (preferably with year round warm weather, of which there are very few in the US) to inland, more suburban sprawl.

I will use the old college analogy….I would have preferred going to U of Miami as a student (great party school, beautiful coeds, warm weather) IF I had a family business to go into…I didn’t, so I busted my balls at an elite upstate NY school (followed by grad school in Atlanta), earned my wealth elsewhere and delayed my gratification by moving here after I accomplished my financial goals (though some locals and transplants do just fine, some quite well, here). It is not short of amenities nor lackluster, either—why people vacation here and many move here….you shared your dislike for Miami based on encounters being an African American but I can tell you there has been a noticeable influx of more African Americans since Covid that might—or might not—change your prior opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man, I don't get the Dallas dislike on CD. It's easily one of the most disliked cities on this forum but in reality most people who move to the area like it. Dare I say even LOVE IT.

Interesting, but if I had to choose which one to live it would be Dallas.I think I've made my opinion about Miami on here loud and clear several times. One popular city in America that is overrated imo.

I think Miami would probably be more livable for me if I were still in my 20's and single and had Women as my top priority. I'm not a beach guy, not really into the Miami glitzy lifestyle, Florida has the worst drivers in the country imo, food scene is underwhelming for a city w/ it's reputation, racial and class segregation is definitely more noticeable there than Dallas.

Don't get me wrong, Miami is a better looking city than Dallas with better overall weather but what good is an attractive looking city if the experience itself is lackluster.

Just for me give me Dallas. I can meet more down to earth people on my day to day routine. Better food, good enough amenities, career mobility, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-24-2021 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City