Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 01:50 PM

71 posts, read 65,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I got extra vacation time this year, maybe I'll give Miami another chance. But I won't be staying in Downtown Miami this time around if I do decide to go back.

I disagree with this. I know plenty of people who like Dallas but love to go visit Miami. Both cities are very different but you can appreciate both. I know in my case it's all about personal experiences in both cities. Of course i'm more familiar with Dallas than I am Miami. But hell NYC is my favorite city in the country so I should like Miami as well.

Difference to me is NYC felt more inviting and welcoming whereas Miami was more impersonal like you stated before.
I enjoy visiting Miami as well, but am always relieved to leave. If you like living in Dallas, it is highly unlikely that you will like living in Miami.

I also love visiting New York. But New Yorkers in NYC seem very different from New Yorkers in Florida. It's odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 01:55 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
ok, thanks for clarifying....yes, Miami has no nonstops to East Asia....then again, neither does cosmopolitan Sao Paulo which is the largest city on its continent with a population more than 3X greater than Miami and home to the largest Japanese population in the entire world outside of Japan.
Respectfully that is a really bad example.

Sao Paulo to Tokyo is 11,489 miles. That is the closest point in Asia to Sao Paulo. There is no plane in existence that can make that journey with any meaningful passenger load. Miami to Tokyo is 7,436 miles. There are plenty of planes that can make that journey yet no airline deems it worthy.

Working in the airline industry I can tell you two things:

1) South Florida to East/Southeast Asia is a tiny market. The only real exception is Manila due to the cruise traffic. But the average fares on MIA-MNL (pre-covid) are less than the average fare from MIA-BOG (Bogota) despite being 4x the distance and a fraction of the size. No one in their right mind would seek to fly between those two.

2) Most of the fares between South Florida and Asia are bottom barrel garbage. The exception is HKG thanks to Swire. That said, the number of people traveling between the two was only 25 each way per day pre covid. That wouldnt fill a prop plane.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I threw out Japan since I knew SP was home to the largest Japanese population.

A flight further south, say to Singapore, which is approximately 9750 miles would be feasible considering the longest nonstop connection today is either between Newark and Singapore (9500?) and/or between Papeete and Paris (9765 miles--not sure how frequently or if still intact during Covid).

That being said, there simply is not enough demand to financially justify such a flight between SoFla and Asia at this point (just like there is not enough demand, that I could find, for nonstop between DFW and Moscow but there is from Miami).

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Respectfully that is a really bad example.

Sao Paulo to Tokyo is 11,489 miles. That is the closest point in Asia to Sao Paulo. There is no plane in existence that can make that journey with any meaningful passenger load. Miami to Tokyo is 7,436 miles. There are plenty of planes that can make that journey yet no airline deems it worthy.

Working in the airline industry I can tell you two things:

1) South Florida to East/Southeast Asia is a tiny market. The only real exception is Manila due to the cruise traffic. But the average fares on MIA-MNL (pre-covid) are less than the average fare from MIA-BOG (Bogota) despite being 4x the distance and a fraction of the size. No one in their right mind would seek to fly between those two.

2) Most of the fares between South Florida and Asia are bottom barrel garbage. The exception is HKG thanks to Swire. That said, the number of people traveling between the two was only 25 each way per day pre covid. That wouldnt fill a prop plane.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-24-2021 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-24-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I threw out Japan since I knew SP was home to the largest Japanese population.

A flight further south, say to Singapore, which is approximately 9750 miles would be feasible considering the longest nonstop connection today is either between Newark and Singapore (9500?) and/or between Papeete and Paris (9765 miles--not sure how frequently or if still intact during Covid).
Tokyo-Sao Paulo is an extra 1,800 miles than Newark-Singapore and its already significantly weight restricted.

Paris-Papeete connects in Los Angeles on TN and AF.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/a...-paris-working

Nonstop record.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
That isnt continuous though. They did that just a few times. Everything in the schedule on out has a stop in LAX.

But still the underlying point is that is still 1,800 miles further than Tokyo-Sao Paulo.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:38 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
The waterfront areas of Miami are great. The rest is not.
DFW/Dallas just seems overall more well rounded and prosperous. Miami has a lot of very dirty and poor areas.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:01 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The waterfront areas of Miami are great. The rest is not.
DFW/Dallas just seems overall more well rounded and prosperous. Miami has a lot of very dirty and poor areas.
I take it you’ve never been to Miami. This couldn’t be any more inaccurate. The most of the upper middle clsss suburbs such as Doral, Pembroke Pines, etc are well inland.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:12 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Good luck OP. Hope you end up happy and content

You call tell someone is from Miami, you just can't tell them much. I will apologize for those who forgot whose thread this was.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 6,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
Just looking to hear people’s thoughts on both cities.

I’m open ears to all topics.
Culture, nightlife, traffic, people, housing, taxes, politics, density, walkability, sea level rise, weather

You name it, I’d love to hear about it.
Neither became I can't stomach the thought of life in Florida or Texas but if the cities were located in different states as the same way they are now, I'd choose Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City