Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, 10 MSAs in the list are around 3 percent Asian or less. That's very low. In fact, Miami has 6 million people is only 2.7% Asian, that's far more "shocking" than San Jose's low Black population.

Furthermore, Whites and Blacks have dominated every facet of US History going back to at least the revolution, the fact that we have such an affluent and economically powerful metro area like San Jose where those 2 groups only account for 31% of the population, that's very interesting to me.

Lastly, looking at the entire Western US, Blacks dont seem to make up 10%+ in any metro except Vallejo. At least that's what I found looking, someone else might have luck finding somewhere else in the region, but I couldnt.
As a Miamian, I'm only shocked that the Asian percentage is that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 08:31 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
I believe metro Atlanta will breeze to 20% Hispanic over the next 10-15 years.

Surprised at how diverse Las Vegas has become especially with the relatively large black population.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:54 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This thread should be titled the race thread, not the demographic thread. I’m waiting for more useful demographic information like household income and education level to be released.
Me too, that data is coming out next month.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I believe metro Atlanta will breeze to 20% Hispanic over the next 10-15 years.

Surprised at how diverse Las Vegas has become especially with the relatively large black population.
Yes, many blacks from California have moved to Vegas over the past 2 decades.

And I stand corrected from my earlier post, Las Vegas is the 2nd western metro that is 10%+ Black, the other is Vallejo, CA.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:09 AM

8,335 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This thread should be titled the race thread, not the demographic thread. I’m waiting for more useful demographic information like household income and education level to be released.
You should have taken the time to read the OP. That data will be posted here when it’s available.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:13 AM

8,335 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, 10 MSAs in the list are around 3 percent Asian or less. That's very low. In fact, Miami has 6 million people is only 2.7% Asian, that's far more "shocking" than San Jose's low Black population.

Furthermore, Whites and Blacks have dominated every facet of US History going back to at least the revolution, the fact that we have such an affluent and economically powerful metro area like San Jose where those 2 groups only account for 31% of the population, that's very interesting to me.

Lastly, looking at the entire Western US, Blacks dont seem to make up 10%+ in any metro except Vallejo. At least that's what I found looking, someone else might have luck finding somewhere else in the region, but I couldnt.
I don’t think anyone should be surprised by San Jose’s low black population or Miami’s low black population. There is little culturally in either place that would draw those demographics there.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I don’t think anyone should be surprised by San Jose’s low black population or Miami’s low black population. There is little culturally in either place that would draw those demographics there.
Yes, but the person I responded to said they were 'shocked' so I wanted to present a little context.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:19 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas’ black population growth has been more than Houston, so I’m sure it will pass it up.
If Dallas is truly a white-collar city I don’t know why you think this. Time will tell.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
It's only the 32nd whitest metro out of the top 50; non-Hispanic portion just barely holding on to 50%(including hispanic it bumps up to 54%). Now Pittsburgh MSA for having a population of 2 million+ is like a relic of a northern metro of 50+ years ago.
You’re right. Detroit is another metro that sticks out for its whiteness.

It’s just that Chicago and Detroit are perceived as being more black.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It’s not shocking but just instructive how such a liberal state like California has “priced out” Blacks from its population. Blacks (and US-born Hispanics) don’t have the same opportunities in the Tech industry as other groups. Austin is also known for its small Black population.

Just an observation…not trying to start a race war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City