Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 09:39 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
You’re right. Detroit is another metro that sticks out for its whiteness.

It’s just that Chicago and Detroit are perceived as being more black.
To be fair to Detroit, Arabs count as white. If I had to guess that would move the white population down to close to 60% for metro Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 10:01 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This thread should be titled the race thread, not the demographic thread. I’m waiting for more useful demographic information like household income and education level to be released.
when it comes, and all of that we'll probably break down by race and ethnicity tooo

Old 08-21-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I'm shocked that metro Boston is less Hispanic than the state of Massachusetts.

I guess Hampden County is big for the state and not in the MSA. Likewise, Norfolk and Plymouth Counties aren't very Hispanic at all. Just a bit jarring to see the number so low when my county is 22.6% Hispanic.

Edit: Also, it looks like White should be 68.4% not 66.6%. 2 or more deserves it's own category at 8.4%.
He grabbed the 18+ numbers for Boston, not the Total Population. By accident

Real numbers:

Boston/Cambridge/Newton - 4,941,632
White: 3,292,281 - 66.6%
Hispanic: 580, 852 - 11.8%
Asian 428,527 - 8.7%
Black: 364,054 - 7.4%

When you subtract the part of the MSA that is exurban and in New Hampshire (9% of the MSA population but far more of its land) from the Boston area you get

Boston Metro (MA alone) - 4,496,567
White: 2,894,583 - 64.3%
Hispanic: 566 ,681-12.6%
Asian: 417,705 - 9.2%
Black: 360,453 - 8.0%

So for The MA counties, it's the exact same percentage as the state-12.6% which makes sense to me.

There are Hispanics all over every other town in MA pretty much, and the Boston Area is expensive ...places like Dudley, Webster, Southbridge, Greenfield, Fitchburg, Leominster, Marlborough, Pittsfield all have substantial Latino populations and are far from Boston. Nevermind Worcester (51k Latinos) New Bedford (26k Latinos) and Springfield (73k Latinos).. You're up in Essex County so maybe it feels really Hispanic, but if you come down to Norfolk and Plymouth it's far fewer Latinos. Really just Brockton and a few in Dedham/Norwood/Quincy/Milton.

And NH counties drag the number down a bit. The Boston Metro is more Asian and Black than the rest of the state and that is evident when you go to Western Mass.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-21-2021 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-21-2021, 10:12 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I don’t think anyone should be surprised by San Jose’s low black population...There is little culturally in either place that would draw those demographics there.
But the Bay Area has a historically significant black population anchored in Oakland. You'd think that would diffuse a bit from east to south moreso that it apparently does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
He grabbed the 18+ numbers for Boston, not the Total Population. By accident

Real numbers:

Boston/Cambridge/Newton - 4,941,632
White: 3,292,281 - 66.6%
I did the math myself, and I got 68.4% for white alone percentage. 3,378,922 people.

Quote:
So for The MA counties, it's the exact same percentage as the state-12.6% which makes sense to me.

There are Hispanics all over every other town in MA pretty much, and the Boston Area is expensive ...places like Dudley, Webster, Southbridge, Greenfield, Fitchburg, Leominster, Marlborough, Pittsfield all have substantial Latino populations and are far from Boston. Nevermind Worcester (51k Latinos) New Bedford (26k Latinos) and Springfield (73k Latinos).. You're up in Essex County so maybe it feels really Hispanic, but if you come down to Norfolk and Plymouth it's far fewer Latinos. Really just Brockton and a few in Dedham/Norwood/Quincy/Milton.
Yeah, I sort of came to this realization even while writing the post. I generally think of eastern MA as being the most diverse part of the state by a decent margin, so seeing that it is as a whole average "at best" for the state in terms of Latino percent was pretty surprising.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 08-21-2021 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-21-2021, 10:13 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, 10 MSAs in the list are around 3 percent Asian or less. That's very low. In fact, Miami has 6 million people is only 2.7% Asian, that's far more "shocking" than San Jose's low Black population.

Furthermore, Whites and Blacks have dominated every facet of US History going back to at least the revolution, the fact that we have such an affluent and economically powerful metro area like San Jose where those 2 groups only account for 31% of the population, that's very interesting to me.

Lastly, looking at the entire Western US, Blacks dont seem to make up 10%+ in any metro except Vallejo. At least that's what I found looking, someone else might have luck finding somewhere else in the region, but I couldnt.
Asian 3% is a lot closer to national 6% than 3% black is the national 12%.

Also don't group the black pop with whites to underscore the areas that have a low black pop. As if Blacks aren't a minority group and doesn't count towards diversity also. And just because Blacks has historically been largest minority racial group doesn't mean everywhere in the US has significant Black pop and culture presence. That no different then places that have low Hispanic or Asian population.

I think people are shock at how the larger metro in the west doesn't have significant Black population. Like I understand Seattle and Denver being low but LA and Bay really surprised me. LA is 13 million but less than million Blacks it's on pare with metro the size of Detroit.

With that said it is shocking that Miami Asian population is that low as well.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
But the Bay Area has a historically significant black population anchored in Oakland. You'd think that would diffuse a bit from east to south moreso that it apparently does.
It has defused East but it's still expensive out there, black people do not like expensive housing markets-generally. We don't seem to have a high tolerance for it even if we have the income.

I went to San Francisco Cupertino, Santa Cruz and Stanford 10 years ago, not many black people at all.

Oakland and Emeryville were a different story. But even now I think Oaklands like ~21% black non hispanic.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas’ black population growth has been more than Houston, so I’m sure it will pass it up.
What I mean is that's been the trend as of late, but a lot can change between now and the next census. I also believe DFW will eventually take first place but Houston is still a force to reckon with.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
To be fair to Detroit, Arabs count as white.
This has never made sense to me and needs to change asap. I don't understand why Arabs wouldn't atleast be counted as Asian if not given their own category.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:52 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Asian 3% is a lot closer to national 6% than 3% black is the national 12%.
San Jose doesnt subsribe to the national norm at all when it come to race, and SJ has the most unique racial composition of the 50 largest metros imo.

San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara
Asian: 609,278 - 38.6%
White: 575,493 - 28.8%
Hispanic: 526,598 - 26.3%
Black: 45,600 - 2.3%

Quote:
Also don't group the black pop with whites to underscore the areas that have a low black pop. As if Blacks aren't a minority group and doesn't count towards diversity also.
African Americans and White Americans have dominated the American narrative for 400 years. Together they developed American culture as we know it today, from language, to food, to music, to art, to social movements, to political movements. I never said it was a great relationship, but African Americans are extremely influential in the history of this country and that influence continues to grow, not decrease.

So I don't see a problem looking at both of them as a single group in some instances. It's very interesting imo.

Quote:
And just because Blacks has historically been largest minority racial group doesn't mean everywhere in the US has significant Black pop and culture presence. That no different then places that have low Hispanic or Asian population.
Yet like clockwork, San Jose is picked on yet again for the same thing.

So I have no problem pointing out that out of the 50 largest metro areas, about 10 have around 3 percent or fewer Asians, fyi-so let's address that as well.

Quote:
I think people are shock at how the larger metro in the west doesn't have significant Black population. Like I understand Seattle and Denver being low but LA and Bay really surprised me. LA is 13 million but less than million Blacks it's on pare with metro the size of Detroit.
Okay, so how many Blacks is Los Angeles supposed to have, and who decides what the correct percentage is? I only say this because as a demographer, we see things all the time that we don't understand but look at the big picture.

This is a map of Black America:
https://www.censusscope.org/us/map_nhblack.html

We see that Blacks out west are very small to begin with. I lament the fact that so many have left, and racism is definitely a factor in some cases, but at the same time, many have simply decided to cash in on their expensive CA house and opted to move to a larger black community elsewhere, I dont fault them, in fact more power to them.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:01 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
If Dallas is truly a white-collar city I don’t know why you think this. Time will tell.
So black people cant be in white collar professions? There’s a large amount of growth with young families and single young professionals here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City